Sign in to follow this  
LongShot

Gambrall

That was a strange performance. I thought it was obvious that he was told to go out and not get cradled. Which fine, strategy. Yes, Ruth is that good but this guy was in the NCAA's semis as a freshman. What happened?

Under the circumstances, I think Gambrall did ok. Keep in mind he spent all off-season dropping to 174 just to get bumped out of the lineup. I feel bad for him because he seems like a good guy. If his points didn't matter, I would be rooting for him put together a late season run and AA.

Gambrall was the logical choice. tough to tell loft house to go out and stay off your back one day and then sell him on the fact that he can win nationals the next. same at 149. Brands is sneaky smart like that. PSU is skunked at 133/141 now

I have to agree that Brands does some smart moves. I didn't think of it that way GB, but, you make a great point. Psychologically, telling your 149 & 184 pound starters to not try to win, but, try to avoid a pin, could really hamper their confidence. That is unique strategy, and I like it. I'm in the minority among PSU fans, but, I actually like and respect Brands. His style couldn't be more opposite of Cael's, but, there is definitely room for both to succeed.

Gambrall was the logical choice. tough to tell loft house to go out and stay off your back one day and then sell him on the fact that he can win nationals the next. same at 149. Brands is sneaky smart like that. PSU is skunked at 133/141 now

I have to agree that Brands does some smart moves. I didn't think of it that way GB, but, you make a great point. Psychologically, telling your 149 & 184 pound starters to not try to win, but, try to avoid a pin, could really hamper their confidence. That is unique strategy, and I like it. I'm in the minority among PSU fans, but, I actually like and respect Brands. His style couldn't be more opposite of Cael's, but, there is definitely room for both to succeed.

I agree with you on the "master psychologist" (my words) part, but for a different reason. I think TB believed that BG and GG would do better than Kelly and Lofthouse, last nite. I also think TB is opening the door to give GG a chance to get back in the lineup at 184, after everyone had more or less written GG off. I guess only time will tell.