Smedley

I really enjoyed the the USA vs Iran in freestyle wrestling era

Just wanted to tip my hat to all the folks here on the college side of the forum that voted for Trump. People from FL, MI, PA and WI really deserve a pat on the back for a job well done. Here's to getting sick from all that winning!

cUBuirb.gif

So you support the cutting the heads off of christians?

1. Nothing Trump is doing will stop that from happening, it's argued by Lindsey Graham, John McCain, and Defense experts it will increase the amount of attention and attacks we get from Extremists.

2. Muslims who aren't extreme enough are also getting their heads cut off.

1. Nothing Trump is doing will stop that from happening, it's argued by Lindsey Graham, John McCain, and Defense experts it will increase the amount of attention and attacks we get from Extremists.

2. Muslims who aren't extreme enough are also getting their heads cut off.

But most of the religious persecution and oppression in Iran of religious minorities is not done by "extremists". It's done by the state and supported by a very high percentage of Iranian citizens. The problem is far more than just ISIS like extremists.

Yeah this rationale could work except for the number of nations not the ban are the primary supplies in both money and/or terrorists. From a sport only perspective I can't help but wonder if the IOC will look at this sort of thing as wrestling, already on the chopping block (stripping Mongolians didn't help), is sport not worth the hassle going forward. 

As a Political Science Major with a specialization in Global Politics this thread is in my wheelhouse... I will back off though. I don't want to cause to much disruption.

Please don't. Genuinely curious. From what I've read, this has absolutely nothing to do with the travel ban and more a result of USA's disapproval of Iran testing weaponry or something along those lines. 

Please don't. Genuinely curious. From what I've read, this has absolutely nothing to do with the travel ban and more a result of USA's disapproval of Iran testing weaponry or something along those lines. 

I think the US disapproval of their testing could be palatable if the message was sent via formal diplomatic channels instead of the incendiary tweets that Trump has posted the past couple of days.

Not simply that. While I feel that plays a factor the executive order that stopped people with Visas inadvertently stopped the Iranian Archery team from competing in the Indoor Archery World Cup. That was the main retaliation.

For BigMik, the government certainly plays a factor in all of this and they are corrupt. That doesn't change the two points I made that these actions would escalate tensions and that christians are not the only ones being persecuted there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, that was mostly settled and then the new administration decided to do what they did. And now Iran is saying if you don't want us then we don't you. I just can't help but wonder if the IOC,  which already doesn't think much of the sport, nor it's recent activities, goos ahead and pull the plug on the sport as not being worth the hassle. It is not a revenue generator and it's various countries/delegations can't seem to play nice.

Please cite your sources on this. Beheading is not a legal form of capital punishment in Iran.

I assume you think that the US should remove ourselves from the Olympics too then? And all international competition against any country that supports things we do not?

Or perhaps sports is a great way to build bridges between cultures.

Not simply that. While I feel that plays a factor the executive order that stopped people with Visas inadvertently stopped the Iranian Archery team from competing in the Indoor Archery World Cup. That was the main retaliation.

For BigMik, the government certainly plays a factor in all of this and they are corrupt. That doesn't change the two points I made that these actions would escalate tensions and that christians are not the only ones being persecuted there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The government plays a huge factor. And I'm just adding that religious minorities and the majority in the area (Muslims) are not facing the same type of persecution by the state. And I specifically said religious minorities, not just Christians. Secularists and atheists too. You can still be arrested there for committing apostasy (leaving the faith) As we speak there are plenty of people imprisoned for that very charge. . That's a huge issue that the religious majority does not have to face.

Please cite your sources on this. Beheading is not a legal form of capital punishment in Iran.

I assume you think that the US should remove ourselves from the Olympics too then? And all international competition against any country that supports things we do not?

Or perhaps sports is a great way to build bridges between cultures.

You can still be imprisoned or even put to death for apostasy. You probably will be hung rather than beheaded.

The government plays a huge factor. And I'm just adding that religious minorities and the majority in the area (Muslims) are not facing the same type of persecution by the state. And I specifically said religious minorities, not just Christians. Secularists and atheists too. You can still be arrested there for committing apostasy (leaving the faith) As we speak there are plenty of people imprisoned for that very charge. . That's a huge issue that the religious majority does not have to face.

1. My apologies for generalizing with Christians. Religious Minorities is definitely a better way to put it. 

2. Agreed, they do not face as much persecution. 

3. Still Nothing has been done to help this or deter it and Iran is not the worst offender The worst offenders happen to be outside the countries listed in the Executive Order. 

For clarity I am not for what is happening in Iran. I am just against the gross exaggerations(i.e. do you support christians ebing beheaded)