Smedley

I really enjoyed the the USA vs Iran in freestyle wrestling era

In the United States the state is allowed to take your life for the simple act of fleeing a police officer if said officer feels scared.

The Iranian state fails in the same way the U.S. state fails. Plus a "little" extra oppression and barbarism on the side. A rather sad attempt at a moral equivalence there sir.

Wasn't an attempt at moral equivalence. More of a "those in glass houses, etc". And to act like the Trump administration actually cares about those religious minorities being persecuted is naive. If they really cared they would be offering refugee status to all of those being persecuted even the minority factions of Islam.

Wasn't an attempt at moral equivalence. More of a "those in glass houses, etc". And to act like the Trump administration actually cares about those religious minorities being persecuted is naive. If they really cared they would be offering refugee status to all of those being persecuted even the minority factions of Islam.

But the U.S. is not in a glass house wrestlingphish. Not in any meaningful sense that was discussed. You act as though we should be hesitant to call out serious problems of other countries because we have some of our own. It's like saying someone who simply yells at his wife once every blue moon should be tight lipped when he sees his neighbor beating his own to death in the middle of the street.

I didn't mention anything about Trump caring about anybody.

Iran's laws attitude toward's religious minorities have as much to do with this ban as the price of tea in China. 

If it did, why are other countries who are greater offenders not included or sanctioned?

You're right, that there are greater threats than Iran. I don't dispute that at all. If anything, if Trump was going to go through with the Executive Order, the list should have been more comprehensive. Perhaps the biggest omission from the list was Saudi Arabia.

Anyway,I don't want to get too involved with that discussion.

Let's start marching at the nationals. Hope there are plenty of police cars there.

You can still be imprisoned or even put to death for apostasy. You probably will be hung rather than beheaded.

K. That wasn't the claim that was made however. 

I am extremely critical of the Iranian government, but making baseless claims about them beheading Christians is innacurate.

This really comes down to two nations (us and them) that are 100% certain that their religion is the right one and wants to discriminate against those who disagree.  It used to be that we were the adults and accepted differences (which made us the good guys) and they were the fanatics who were intolerant.  Now we're "fighting fire with fire" by being just as ignorant as them.  

Did you ever think you'd see the day when the POTUS would deny an infant girl a life saving heart surgery because she was a Muslim from Iran?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/03/politics/travel-ban-iranian-baby-heart-surgery-trnd/

When you do things like this can you really expect to have your athletes welcomed in their country?

This really comes down to two nations (us and them) that are 100% certain that their religion is the right one and wants to discriminate against those who disagree. It used to be that we were the adults and accepted differences (which made us the good guys) and they were the fanatics who were intolerant. Now we're "fighting fire with fire" by being just as ignorant as them.

Did you ever think you'd see the day when the POTUS would deny an infant girl a life saving heart surgery because she was a Muslim from Iran?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/03/politics/travel-ban-iranian-baby-heart-surgery-trnd/

When you do things like this can you really expect to have your athletes welcomed in their country?

Absolutely ridiculous post. The vast majority of the world's Muslims aren't effected by the 90 day ban whatsoever. I believe the number is 87% of the Muslim world is not banned. If this were strictly about the U.S. being motivated by religion, we would have banned the vast majority rather than the tiny minority. The U.S. does accept differences. Did you not see the inauguration where the Muslim Imams said prayers? Or the national prayer breakfast where there where Imams in attendance.

If you are talking about religious offenses between the U.S. and Iran as if they are comparable, you're clueless. There are dozens of people locked up right now for simply leaving the dominant faith of the country. It's still on the books that you can even be executed for said offense.

If you think they are justified for not letting any American's in for what happened to the child of Muslim parents, then I'm guessing you believe it would be okay if America put a lifetime ban on everyone from Iran. After all, after the ban is over, Iran will still have these outdated religious laws and punishments on the books.

Edit: Read the story and the infant is being allowed into the country for the medical procedure.

Edited by bigmik

Well doesn't seem like Iran is doing a very good job of helping to do that

Iran's government is determined to bridge differences with the West. Their intentions are widely misrepresented due to flagrant islamaphobia.

Take the example of their ongoing ballistic missile testing: Iran's Islamaphobic Arab neighbors are needlessly terrified that these missiles are being developed for sinister purposes. In reality, this effort is a necessary component of a delivery system for Iran's peaceful nuclear power program.

Trump has nothing to be concerned about and shouldn't have banned US wrestlers from competing in Iran. Wait. It was Iran that barred them. Well, that doesn't matter. If you don't blame Trump's for Iran's actions you're an Islamaphobe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This really comes down to two nations (us and them) that are 100% certain that their religion is the right one...

Remind me again - which religion is "the right one" in this country?  Does it say in the original Constitution, or is that one of the amendments?

(Insert "mischievous grin" emoticon here)

Edited by redblades

Remind me again - which religion is "the right one" in this country?  Does it say in the original Constitution, or is that one of the amendments?

(Insert "mischievous grin" emoticon here)

It doesn't have to say it in The Constitution to be "the right one" to many people.  Just like it doesn't say anything about language in The Constitution but there are those who want to institute a law saying that it is English.

For the record I'd consider myself a fairly religious person.  I read The Bible almost every day and try to live my life by what I believe are its guiding principles.  I believe those principles mean being charitable, humble, accepting of others' differences and not judging others.  That being said, the only thing I absolutely know about religion is that I don't really know anything about religion.  What I have is faith and that's a personal thing that I don't feel the need to force on others.  I also don't feel the need to judge an entire religion based on a fringe element that commits atrocities.  

The US just opened up gun laws even more to allow mentally ill people to get guns.  

This is something that NO OTHER 1st world country would ever allow.  

Maybe these countries should not allow the US teams to visit them, and / or allow their athletes to participate in such a dangerous country that not only allows almost anyone to own guns, but even gives the mentally ill the "right".

Boy, that makes everyone safe doesn't it?

The US just opened up gun laws even more to allow mentally ill people to get guns.  

This is something that NO OTHER 1st world country would ever allow.  

Maybe these countries should not allow the US teams to visit them, and / or allow their athletes to participate in such a dangerous country that not only allows almost anyone to own guns, but even gives the mentally ill the "right".

Boy, that makes everyone safe doesn't it?

Here's an idea - talk about wrestling.  

Iran refuses to wrestle athletes from Israel as they don't recognize their country or existence as humans.

But, that's none of my business.

What is the Iran wrestling forum?  I'd like to read more about it.  

u9lXd7I.jpg

Interesting that the same country that published this picture also just built a wall in their own country larger than the Berlin wall that is meant to protect citizens….

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3909922/A-12ft-high-Munich-Wall-built-protect-locals-German-city-camp-young-migrants-living-community.html

Edited by Idaho