NJDan

Those scrawny (but awesome) Penn State guys

Penn State's dismantling of Ohio State was pretty awesome. But every time I see Nolf and Nickal (the N&N boys) I am amazed at how skinny they are. Nickal is at least tall. But Nolf always looks undersixzed and unwhemlming until he starts breaking dudes.

I know that one can be strong without looking strong. But isn't it pretty surprising how these kids manhandle opponents without remotely looking the part?

All you need to know about the Iowa mentality was in plain view in that little vid clip on flo where CP participated in the Iowa wrestling polar bear plunge. It showed Iowa had a van with a sauna built into the van, which in and of itself is pretty cool. And the polar bear plunge to raise money for wrestling and charity, also cool.

But it was what was written on the rear of the van in huge letters that caught my eye.

CALL STALLING!

Ha! If that doesn't just lay it all out there then nothing will. 

I was thinking the same thing today as I was watching the highlights of Nickal and Martin. While I don't doubt that those guys and others with builds like theirs are deceptively strong, I think they negate a lot of the need for brute strength that is often equated with the stereotypical wrestler build due to the fact that these guys create an unbelievable amount of motion on their feet and exploit angles like few others you watch. Go to youtube and spy some of their highlight videos. Those dudes rarely go directly underneath anyone and almost never carry the weight of their opponents when they are attacking for the feet. They wrestle a lot like a Cael when he was in his prime.

All you need to know about the Iowa mentality was in plain view in that little vid clip on flo where CP participated in the Iowa wrestling polar bear plunge. It showed Iowa had a van with a sauna built into the van, which in and of itself is pretty cool. And the polar bear plunge to raise money for wrestling and charity, also cool.

But it was what was written on the rear of the van in huge letters that caught my eye.

CALL STALLING!

Ha! If that doesn't just lay it all out there then nothing will.

22d9477aab7e40fc65dc1cc06408a5ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penn State's dismantling of Ohio State was pretty awesome. But every time I see Nolf and Nickal (the N&N boys) I am amazed at how skinny they are. Nickal is at least tall. But Nolf always looks undersixzed and unwhemlming until he starts breaking dudes.

I know that one can be strong without looking strong. But isn't it pretty surprising how these kids manhandle opponents without remotely looking the part?

The match last night there was video of Nolf with his shirt off.  He isn't heavily muscled, but he has a nice build and is reasonably tall for his weight.  Nickal looks skinny but is real tall.  He looked a few inches taller than Martin and Martin looks about 6 feet to me (saw him up real close at the Olympic Trials last year).  Nickal has a wiry strength.  Still very impressive as they obviously put themselves at positions of strength. 

This said, Zain seems relatively smaller to me than either Nolf or Nickal.  Jordan looked jacked, and was a lot taller than Zain.  Zain is strong, but he looks like he is wrestling a weight up; great wrestler, obviously. 

I was thinking the same thing today as I was watching the highlights of Nickal and Martin. While I don't doubt that those guys and others with builds like theirs are deceptively strong, I think they negate a lot of the need for brute strength that is often equated with the stereotypical wrestler build due to the fact that these guys create an unbelievable amount of motion on their feet and exploit angles like few others you watch. Go to youtube and spy some of their highlight videos. Those dudes rarely go directly underneath anyone and almost never carry the weight of their opponents when they are attacking for the feet. They wrestle a lot like a Cael when he was in his prime.

Funny, but Cael looked less "jacked" than a lot of his opponents; his last opponent comes to mind (in college).  This said, he always looked like the stronger wrestler. Putting yourself at positions of strength and opponents at positions of weakness would explain a lot. 

Could be a function of the type of training used.  Bodybuilders are more massive than Olympic weight lifters.  So, while they may look stronger, the latter group has greater functional strength, power, and explosiveness.  In short, looks can be deceiving.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

Agree, the type of strength training is a real good focus point. Taking it one step further, what type of training allows someone to best maintain their strength throughout the match. Seems to me a lot of the really big muscular guys can get physically drained quickly and end up being the weaker guy for most of the match. 

Agree, the type of strength training is a real good focus point. Taking it one step further, what type of training allows someone to best maintain their strength throughout the match. Seems to me a lot of the really big muscular guys can get physically drained quickly and end up being the weaker guy for most of the match. 

"The member Flying-Tiger cannot receive any new messages."

Hmm...looks like its time to clear out some of your storage so that you can receive PMs, Mr. Tiger.

Body type is definitely a factor in "looking strong". I was reminded of this two weeks ago when I watched Kevin Jack dominate George DeCamillo. George is more muscular, but Jack's length gave him fits, and it was clear that Jack wasn't giving away anything in the strength department. 

Also reminds me of attending the Southern Scuffle back in 2006, when I was just beginning to follow college wrestling. I ran into a pleasant, skinny young man in the hallway, who smiled politely and said hello. He told me he was a freshman wrestling for Minnesota. I thought "poor fellow, those older, ripped 125's are going to eat him alive." Jayson Ness then proceeded to basically pin his way through the tournament, using his half series to crank people with large biceps over seemingly at will. 

The tall, strong lean guys always gave me the best matches. The jacked up muscle dudes were never a problem. In fact, I usually pinned those guys.I don't know what it was, but they generally seemed to slow down quite quickly, and they were never as strong as they looked. I was stronger than every "muscle guy" I wrestled and I was built just like Askren.