Shiraz123

World cup thread

I did not see the interview but if the interviewer is who I think it is, then yeah the guy is brutal with his questions, lol. Even with Iranians. He was particularly harsh on Younes Sarmasti in one interview, pretty much openly accusing him on TV of not training hard. 

I don't know the reporter's name.  He obviously knows his wrestling inside and out though, based on his comments and questions.

Sadreddin Kazemi, he is around for a while, a big big while and knows everything and everybody in wrestling, actually he was a bit nice to his foreign guests ! especially because of going through a translator.

They weren't the two best wrestlers. Gedeuv was not great in that tournament. Every opponent he faced scored on him multiple times except Burroughs. If he wore down in that finals match it wasn't from the low paced semi he had with Burroughs.

Go ahead and list who geduev and Burroughs had lost to prior to the olympics to say that they weren't the top two on paper, don't worry I'll wait. Or better yet I'll tell you. Geduev hadn't lost to any international competitor not named Jordan Burroughs since 2010. Yazdani was a world silver medalist at 70kg and got silver at the Grand Prix of Paris and at the medved. Silver means he got second and lost to someone, in case you were wondering. So, if the tournaments were seeded we wouldn't see the top two wrestlers have to wrestle before the finals. And if you saw the Burroughs geduev match as low paced just because there wasn't a lot of scoring you know absolutely nothing about wrestling. Geduev himself said he was both physically and mentally shot after the Burroughs match. So maybe you're right Burroughs and geduev will never win the 2016 olympics. But they were the two best wrestlers at the olympics in the 74kg bracket.

Edited by rcoates1

No way a match between the silver medalist and a non-medalist should happen before the finals?  Geduev looked better against Burroughs than he did against anyone else.   Burroughs just wasn't the best that day.  It doesn't mean he wasn't great or that he might not be great again, but he wasn't even close that day.  Don't blame it on draw, I am sure Burroughs doesn't.

Do you mean Burroughs was not anywhere close to his best on that day? With that I agree wholeheartedly. Not anywhere close to winning? I'm not so sure. In my opinion, if he beats Geduev then he wins it all. A lot of things could have happened later in the tournament but I like Jordans chances. His confidence would have been soaring, would have had a chance to make some corrections, etc. That is my two cents worth.

Sadreddin Kazemi, he is around for a while, a big big while and knows everything and everybody in wrestling, actually he was a bit nice to his foreign guests ! especially because of going through a translator.

I see he is on facebook, He has also written a book called "Gold for Gold"

I forgot to mention he asked the Turkish coach the following question " your wrestlers have good technique, but they run out if gas quickly. Don't you train them well?"

To which the coach responded " we had a short camp and it was not very good"

Gable Dan Steveson

We need this kid to fill into a heavyweight....

And David Taylor is proving a lot of the doubters wrong so far (like me).  Still not convince he will keep it close with Yaz, but i'm more willing to believe now than yesterday.  He's relentless with those low attacks.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

When I was watching today on my computer, I could watch for about 30-60 seconds at a time and then the video would freeze until I reloaded the page. Then it worked for another 30-60 seconds. When I loaded it up on my phone, it worked fine. Did anyone else have an issue like this, and did you come up with a solution?

It was fine for me for the most part.  The sound didn't work a few times, but that was it.

I see he is on facebook, He has also written a book called "Gold for Gold"

I forgot to mention he asked the Turkish coach the following question " your wrestlers have good technique, but they run out if gas quickly. Don't you train them well?"

To which the coach responded " we had a short camp and it was not very good"

Yeah, that's him. He is TOUGH, lol. I did not even do his interview with Sarmasti justice in the first comment. He literally made him look at the camera and promise to train harder and do whatever it takes to become a world champion. It was kind of uncomfortable to watch, but I enjoy his program. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Yeah, that's him. He is TOUGH, lol. I did not even do his interview with Sarmasti justice in the first comment. He literally made him look at the camera and promise to train harder and do whatever it takes to become a world champion. It was kind of uncomfortable to watch, but I enjoy his program. 

lol yeah indeed he is. I don't like him too much personally because he is not neutral sometimes but he is a wrestling encyclopedia

he used to be a wrestling commentator. I remember him from 2000 Olympics and that famous Dabir - Brands semifinal. he was the commentator and got emotional during the match and specially in last 30 seconds he was crying and begging Dabir to resist. (if you remember the match, Dabir had a big lead but he ran out of gas and he was giving up points one by one)

and this is another time when he got emotional, this time somehow in a funny way lol, Yazdani - Geduev final. that will make you laugh if you didn't already hear that lol

http://www.aparat.com/v/Lg53d/%D8%AD%D8%B3%D9%86_%DB%8C%D8%B2%D8%AF%D8%A7%D9%86%DB%8C_%D8%A8%D8%A7_%DA%AF%D8%B2%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%B4_%D9%81%D9%88%D9%82_%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D8%A7%D8%AF%D9%87_%DA%AF%D8%B2%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%B4%DA%AF%D8%B1_%D8%B1%D8%A7%D8%AF%DB%8C%D9%88.%D8%AF%D9%84%D8%A7%D9%88%D8%B1_%D9%85%D9%86

Go ahead and list who geduev and Burroughs had lost to prior to the olympics to say that they weren't the top two on paper, don't worry I'll wait. Or better yet I'll tell you. Geduev hadn't lost to any international competitor not named Jordan Burroughs since 2010. Yazdani was a world silver medalist at 70kg and got silver at the Grand Prix of Paris and at the medved. Silver means he got second and lost to someone, in case you were wondering. So, if the tournaments were seeded we wouldn't see the top two wrestlers have to wrestle before the finals. And if you saw the Burroughs geduev match as low paced just because there wasn't a lot of scoring you know absolutely nothing about wrestling. Geduev himself said he was both physically and mentally shot after the Burroughs match. So maybe you're right Burroughs and geduev will never win the 2016 olympics. But they were the two best wrestlers at the olympics in the 74kg bracket.

Before that day they were the two most accomplished.  Then they settled on the mat who the best was on that day.  It doesn't matter who was best before or after, because the tournament was on that day.  

If Burroughs lost to Geduev and then got 3rd and Geduev won, then it would be easy to cry foul at the lack of seeding.  But both guys were beat that day.  They were not the best that day.  Seeding is not why they didn't win.  

I think that tonight's match against Azerbijan is going to be very tough. Hopefully our guys have a great performance and can win this dual, so we can see the Iran in the finals.

I agree

I think Iran gets to rest their A team while US and Azerbaijan have to use their A team

Who is the translater?  He speaks perfect English.  He is wearing US logo sweat, so I assume he is with the US team?

now I know the answer . he is Hooman 'Mo' Tavakolian

the reporter said Iran was expecting a very tough match from Turkey, why didn't Turkey bring their best wrestlers and not use their best ones against Iran (including Yasar)

The coach said they are saving their best wrestlers for the European championship

I have to add a note here, Turkey coach (Adam Barekat) said not using Yasar against Yazdani was a "tactical decision" !