Shiraz123

World cup thread

At one point in the match, it was 4-4. Yaz had 4 pushouts and Taylor had 2 takedowns. It just irritates me when a guy can win like that by simply playing the edge, defending, and pushing his opponent out.

He definitely wasn't playing the edge or defending early.  He was literally pushing DT all over the mat.  It made Stoll look like he stands still with the underhooks!

At one point in the match, it was 4-4. Yaz had 4 pushouts and Taylor had 2 takedowns. It just irritates me when a guy can win like that by simply playing the edge, defending, and pushing his opponent out.

You're way off if you think he was winning by 'playing the edge'.  He also wasn't defending as Taylor never made an offensive step in that time.  Yazdani absolutely dominated the first 2+ minutes while Taylor ran away.  Then Taylor scored 1 TD and it was 3-2.  TDs were appropriately valued and backing off the mat was appropriately penalized in that 1st period.  

Edited by boconnell

He definitely wasn't playing the edge or defending early.  He was literally pushing DT all over the mat.  It made Stoll look like he stands still with the underhooks!

I used the latter part as an example but it wasn't clear from my post. Yaz had the center of the mat for the majority of the early going. 

You're way off if you think he was winning by 'playing the edge'.  He also wasn't defending as Taylor never made an offensive step in that time.  Yazdani absolutely dominated the first 2+ minutes while Taylor ran away.  Then Taylor scored 1 TD and it was 3-2.  TDs were appropriately valued and backing off the mat was appropriately penalized in that 1st period.  

I used the latter part as an example but it wasn't clear from my post. Yaz had the center of the mat for the majority of the early going. 

Thanks for making the effort there Gwiz.  He didn't look convinced he could score when he took the shot, but at least he didn't stand there waiting for the clock to run out.  

We need to get better at 57 and heavy.  57 probably comes from young guys but I don't see a heavy anywhere in the USA that makes a difference.  

I do think Taylor's win was as much about Yazdani falling apart too.  He must not be in great shape right now.  Still a huge, huge win for sure. 

The pin, sure. But the win was legit. DT scored all the offensive non-pushout points. It's easier to work on mat control than it is on TD defense. I like DT in a rematch all day.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Iran takes this event very seriously (especially at home), so I think it's unfair to assume Yaz wasn't in shape and will automatically be in better shape next time.

I think Taylor won this match with tactics.  He fled the dangerous situations early and got beat bad for 2+ minutes but only allowed it to mean 3 points in the actual match.  He gave up a few stepouts, but he avoided a few more by dropping to his knees.  A very ugly first couple of minutes but very smart as well.  Then he turned up his offense more and more the less dangerous Yaz got.  Perfect tactical match.