Shiraz123

World cup thread

The pin, sure. But the win was legit. DT scored all the offensive non-pushout points. It's easier to work on mat control than it is on TD defense. I like DT in a rematch all day.

If Yazdani is in shape, its totally different.  Taylor was running out of bounds almost.  BUt Yazdani broke for sure and David was a big reason why.  But Yazdani controlled every position when they were fresh, so if he can stay fresh, David will have a much tougher time.  That being said, Taylor has the advantage now, but they are going to scout the crap out of him like the did stieber and Snyder and it won't get any easier.  Still great win for DT and perhaps the start of a world placement season.  

I really think Varner needs to wrestle one more year at Heavy.

He is better than anything we have.  But for an olympic champ it might be hard to make that committment just to be on a world team and probably go 0-1 or something similar.  

Heavy is an interesting weight since the lack of weight cutting (for most) can lend itself to longevity.  Does anyone not think Mocco or Konrad couldn't train for 3 months and have  a chance to beat Rey and Gwiz even now?  Dlagnev pushed Mocco into retirement but these current guys are a long way from Dlagnev.

Iran takes this event very seriously (especially at home), so I think it's unfair to assume Yaz wasn't in shape and will automatically be in better shape next time.

I think Taylor won this match with tactics. He fled the dangerous situations early and got beat bad for 2+ minutes but only allowed it to mean 3 points in the actual match. He gave up a few stepouts, but he avoided a few more by dropping to his knees. A very ugly first couple of minutes but very smart as well. Then he turned up his offense more and more the less dangerous Yaz got. Perfect tactical match.

Great assessment of the match. 100% agree. DT wrestled very smart, and held Yazdani to field goals when in the redzone (to use a football analogy). Then, when Yazdani wore down, DT turned up the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iran takes this event very seriously (especially at home), so I think it's unfair to assume Yaz wasn't in shape and will automatically be in better shape next time.

I think Taylor won this match with tactics.  He fled the dangerous situations early and got beat bad for 2+ minutes but only allowed it to mean 3 points in the actual match.  He gave up a few stepouts, but he avoided a few more by dropping to his knees.  A very ugly first couple of minutes but very smart as well.  Then he turned up his offense more and more the less dangerous Yaz got.  Perfect tactical match.  

Well we definitely have scouted Yazdani. I'm not sure they have done much scouting of Taylor's style and such.  The scouting made this event much harder for Snyder and Stieber; dudes definitely knew to avoid the low singles with Logan.  Each guy Stieber wrestled was wrestling against that low style and staying away as much as possible.  

Came down to Molinaro in my book.

Up 4-0 with a minute left, has to keep attacking there.

Iran out hand fought the US throughout the whole meet, can't shut down there.

changing the motion and ties that built you a 4 point lead is a bad idea.

If Yazdani is in shape, its totally different.  Taylor was running out of bounds almost.  BUt Yazdani broke for sure and David was a big reason why.  But Yazdani controlled every position when they were fresh, so if he can stay fresh, David will have a much tougher time.  That being said, Taylor has the advantage now, but they are going to scout the crap out of him like the did stieber and Snyder and it won't get any easier.  Still great win for DT and perhaps the start of a world placement season.  

If Yazdani scores more points...

If Yazdani gets more TD's...

If Yazdani gets exposures...

If Yazdani doesn't get pinned...

any more?

He is better than anything we have.  But for an olympic champ it might be hard to make that committment just to be on a world team and probably go 0-1 or something similar.  

Heavy is an interesting weight since the lack of weight cutting (for most) can lend itself to longevity.  Does anyone not think Mocco or Konrad couldn't train for 3 months and have  a chance to beat Rey and Gwiz even now?  Dlagnev pushed Mocco into retirement but these current guys are a long way from Dlagnev.

No. Not a chance. 

Guys don't automatically get in shape.  This was probably the 2nd biggest event of the year for Yazdani.  World Cup at home in front of thousands of Iranian fans.  There is no way he showed up in out of competition shape.  

He gained 20 lbs in the last year and it might take 2-3 years to adjust to that conditioning wise.  Or he might never adjust to carrying the weight.

Yazdani better at pushing guys out of bounds, Taylor better at attacking legs and counter offense.  I like Taylor's chances going forward.

Not so simple.  Taylor was avoiding stuff that would have ended in takedowns.  Then Taylor gained strength and Yazdani wilted.  The rematch will be much different.  We still could win, but they will wrestled accordingly and we need to almost pre-adjust.  It won't be that easy next time.  Taylor put the world on notice, but it may make sneaking up on the other guys much harder now.  Still I am impressed.  BUt I was also shocked at how badly Yazdani fell apart.  He could not have been in too great of shape. 

any more?

I have watched Taylor since he was in the seventh grade. We want more than World cup wins.   It won't be that easy the next time. If DT thinks it will be, he won't place.  

any more?

Yazdani has a big endorsement deal with Mash Donald's. I believe his contract had an all-you-can eat clause in it, which is likely why he bumped up to 86kg this year. I know he is a man of honor and will only endorse food products that he consumes on a regular basis, but he might want to stop big sizing his fries and chocolate shakes!

PMHj9R8.jpg

Edited by Smedley

I have watched Taylor since he was in the seventh grade. We want more than World cup wins.   It won't be that easy the next time. If DT thinks it will be, he won't place.  

Thanks for the wisdom.  I think before your comment everyone was expecting it to always be this easy.  Maybe some PSU fans can make sure David comes and reads your comment before he expects it to be that easy next time.

This is NO knock on Taylor guys!!  He is fantastic, but he didnt' wrestle anyone that was keyed on his style like Snyder, Green, Burroughs, or Stieber.  And Yazdani clearly fell apart and perhaps was even injured.  I feel pretty good about the rematch, should there be one.  BUt I don't think Yaz will fall apart either.  Obviously the Russian tank is the main target anyway though.  I am just saying that Yazdani was manhandling David and David wanted no part of him until he fell apart, then he wisely pounced.  I am impressed to be sure. 

Thanks for the wisdom.  I think before your comment everyone was expecting it to always be this easy.  Maybe some PSU fans can make sure David comes and reads your comment before he expects it to be that easy next time.

PSU fans getting upset. No way. 

Well David is a product of Jordan's club.  I was literally in that club the first 3 years of it existence.  David is awesome. Great weekend for sure.  

He trains with Varner, Cael and Nickal. All big guys. Taylor had an amazing world cup. He should be ranked 3rd or 4th in the world after this. The guys ahead of him, Sad, Yasar and Cox are all big strong guys-215lb guys not cutting in their primes.