Shiraz123

World cup thread

well, track has put up the taylor yazdani match... 

this opinion may be tainted by watching it knowing the outcome and how it went down, but, taylor did not try to wrestle out of those underhooks early... takes his two cautions while making yazdani work to get them... that was tactical... he knew yazdani was struggling with the new mass because taylor struggled with the new mass for a year...

make him work... get him tired... then start wrestling... 

smart

wont be as easy in another 6 months

Yeah, the same people that are ignoring any subpar shape issues were the ones that pointed to it for why Metcalf won "meaningless" matches during the course of the season only to lose at World's.

I absolutely believe Taylor has the style and talent to be competitive with anyone.  But, please don't be hypocritical.  It is a well known fact that many International competitors do not condition the same way we do for anything other than World's/Olympics.  

As amazing as the end result was for Taylor, if their gas tanks were anywhere close to each other, do you really see that match going anywhere close to that?  The big question will be could Taylor wear him down even half as much when it really matters?  If he could, I see him being able to win.  If not, it could get really ugly.

Edited by MSU158

Yeah, the same people that are ignoring any subpar shape issues were the ones that pointed to it for why Metcalf won "meaningless" matches during the course of the season only to lose at World's.

I absolutely believe Taylor has the style and talent to be competitive with anyone.  But, please don't be hypocritical.  It is a well known fact that many International competitors do not condition the same way we do for anything other than World's/Olympics.  

As amazing as the end result was for Taylor, if their gas tanks were anywhere close to each other, do you really see that match going anywhere close to that?  The big question will be could Taylor wear him down even half as much when it really matters?  If he could, I see him being able to win.  If not, it could get really ugly.

I am glad someone saw it like I did.  I am very impressed with David.  I do think he will be a world finalist or champion one day.  Perhaps this year, but I a bit more cautious.  

Bury him?   People are acting like I am making excuses for Yazdani and you are taking everything a bit too personal.  

I'm taking things too personal?  

The comment you are talking about is to a different poster (his name is in my post you quoted) and is in reference to J'Den Cox.  It has nothing to do with you, anything you said, Taylor, or Yazdani.  

Wow, some of you guys kill me. You berate the Varmit when he blows a 4-0 lead, you moan about how some guys never go overseas and put it on the line and then Taylor dominates Yaz for the last period+ and it is still not enough. Conditioning is part of it. It takes a lot of energy to get an underhook and walk a guy of the mat. I personally think it is a hell of a lot easier to fix that than fix getting taken down a bunch. Give the man some credit. Oh, and btw, if anybody doesnt think the Iranians were taking this seriously and in shape then put down the pipe. They always take the World Cup seriously especially in Iran! Please!

I mostly agree.  The singlet guys used to wear is super important to how many see a match.  

As for the comparison, I think the bigger you get, the easier it is to make conditioning a big factor.  Metcalf was simply never going to wear down in shape 65 kg guys.  But Kyle Snyder won a gold medal doing it to 96 guys.  More muscles and more mass means more oxygen requirements.  This means guys who can effectively wrestle a higher pace are at a bigger advantage as you go up in weight.  

The one trick pony was what bothered me originally. It's why I asked.

One hit wonder applies but is a strange title to apply to a guy in Cox's current circumstances.

One hit wonder in the international wrestling world. I'm aware he will be a three time national champion and four time AA. He is good and I was a little too harsh. I don't think he will ever make another world team, I believe he is burnt out. I'm probably wrong because I'm wrong a lot (ask my wife). I think David is superior to him and now that dake isn't in his way and he is a full sized 86kg guy now he will own the weight for as long as he wants to wrestle. This is hard for me to say because I like watching PSU guys fail because of their obnoxious fans that weren't fans ten years ago. Missouri fans are the same way. Maybe that's why I discredit his talents and achievements as much as I do. Or maybe I'm just an ******* and like pissing people off.

One hit wonder in the international wrestling world. I'm aware he will be a three time national champion and four time AA. He is good and I was a little too harsh. I don't think he will ever make another world team, I believe he is burnt out. I'm probably wrong because I'm wrong a lot (ask my wife). I think David is superior to him and now that dake isn't in his way and he is a full sized 86kg guy now he will own the weight for as long as he wants to wrestle. This is hard for me to say because I like watching PSU guys fail because of their obnoxious fans that weren't fans ten years ago. Missouri fans are the same way. Maybe that's why I discredit his talents and achievements as much as I do. Or maybe I'm just an ******* and like pissing people off.

All of your reasoning sounds reasonable to me so you most likely are a jerk who likes pissing people off (that's why it sounds reasonable to me).

I agree Cox looks burned out right now.  I also worry he will never fit the weight as well as he did last summer.  But one interview where he talks football is not enough for me to assume a 21 year old olympic medalist will not get it figured out at some point in the next 3 years.

cox isnt our guy at 86 for at least a couple of years... whether or not he makes a run late in the quad for 2020 is another thing entirely... in my mind taylor is the better wrestler, but, cox is a freak athlete in wrestling terms, so, anything could happen there...

one thing is certain, cox's athletic gifts will not be as impressive on the football field as compared to the wrestling mats... he is going to be just another guy out there struggling to make an impact against other good athletes in college... and i would not even think about the NFL... practice team at best... 

We can bitch and moan and bicker back and forth all damn day. But in the end, only one thing matters. And that is the fact that Taylor pinned an Olympic Gold Medalist while being up by 6. 

Without giving up a non-pushout point and scoring multiple TDs himself before the fall. That is a significant fact, in shape, out of shape, or any shape.

We can bitch and moan and bicker back and forth all damn day. But in the end, only one thing matters. And that is the fact that Taylor pinned an Olympic Gold Medalist while being up by 6.

It can only enhance the confidence he probably needs. Awesome job from one of his skeptics.

I give full credit to DT.  He has stuck with it when many would have been done.  He could have looked at JB and Dake and said, there is no way I'm on the world team.  But he bulked up, fell a little short, and still kept going.  Now he is a World Cup Champion and beat the raining Olympic Champ in the finals, not just by Pin, but he was leading by points at the time.  He dug deep a number of times during the tourney, and he did not have an easy road.

By the way, many of you are forgetting, the easiest thing (even though it is difficult) is to get to the top.  It is harder to stay there.  Yazdani will have a long road ahead of him.  That is why it has been a gift watching JB do what he has done.  Now, it is time for us to support our current 86 World Cup Champ as he continues to improve. 

It actually fascinates me that people can find any disparage with DT regarding that match

I don't think anyone is looking to disparage DT or his performance.  Simply put, I recommended caution if you want to use the way he won as a some guarantee that his is elite or top 5 Internationally.  I say this because I was(and still am) as big of a Metcalf fan as one can be.  He had some very high level wins at similar events where conditioning was absolutely a factor.  But, time and time again, his opponents were able to get their conditioning to a much similar level come World's.

If Taylor simply outwrestled Yaz from the outset, I would be all in.  I still do believe he can medal with his best performance, but wouldn't expect guys to fold that early in the 2nd period!

I don't think anyone is looking to disparage DT or his performance.  Simply put, I recommended caution if you want to use the way he won as a some guarantee that his is elite or top 5 Internationally.  I say this because I was(and still am) as big of a Metcalf fan as one can be.  He had some very high level wins at similar events where conditioning was absolutely a factor.  But, time and time again, his opponents were able to get their conditioning to a much similar level come World's.

If Taylor simply outwrestled Yaz from the outset, I would be all in.  I still do believe he can medal with his best performance, but wouldn't expect guys to fold that early in the 2nd period!

I wouldn't compare DT to Metcalf.  DT moves better, is a much better technician, and makes much better in mach adjustments. 

I give full credit to DT. He has stuck with it when many would have been done. He could have looked at JB and Dake and said, there is no way I'm on the world team. But he bulked up, fell a little short, and still kept going. Now he is a World Cup Champion and beat the raining Olympic Champ in the finals, not just by Pin, but he was leading by points at the time. He dug deep a number of times during the tourney, and he did not have an easy road.

By the way, many of you are forgetting, the easiest thing (even though it is difficult) is to get to the top. It is harder to stay there. Yazdani will have a long road ahead of him. That is why it has been a gift watching JB do what he has done. Now, it is time for us to support our current 86 World Cup Champ as he continues to improve.

To be correct, he is a world cup runner up. Not such a thing as a 86 world cup champ, unless he wrestled in 1986.