Shiraz123

World cup thread

Amazing run for DT. I was not able to watch the world cup (damnit!) but have enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks to all who post. Anyone know when (or if) the video will be available? I looked on UWW and it is said coming soon.

It's up on Flo now: http://www.flowrestling.org/article/52135-86kg-david-taylor-usa-vs-hassan-yazdanicharati-iran

Well I can say that DT had a tremendous WC, and conditioning was indeed a factor. But it was also his slickness and scrambling that helped him break his opponents. I know some on this thread have said okay let's not get too excited, and then use Metcalf as an example, describing that fact he was also pretty tremendous at WC but could never get it done at the World Championships. Well to that I would say several things, the first this has to be a phenomenal boost to DT's confidence, and has to put a lot of others on notice, and when Big Mo is in your corner, it can do wonders. Secondly, I think DT has more offensive and defensive weapons that Metcalf ever did. And as far as Metcalf is concerned, I believe that the reason Metcalf never medaled at the World Championships is because he placed so much on himself psychologically that he was never able to perform optimally, and unfortunately he had to wrestle through that as well as his opponents. So I believe comparing DT to Metcalf is like comparing apples to oranges.

Without giving up a non-pushout point and scoring multiple TDs himself before the fall. That is a significant fact, in shape, out of shape, or any shape.

With having a piss poor coach and an overpaid towel boy.

I don't think anyone is looking to disparage DT or his performance.  Simply put, I recommended caution if you want to use the way he won as a some guarantee that his is elite or top 5 Internationally.  I say this because I was(and still am) as big of a Metcalf fan as one can be.  He had some very high level wins at similar events where conditioning was absolutely a factor.  But, time and time again, his opponents were able to get their conditioning to a much similar level come World's.

If Taylor simply outwrestled Yaz from the outset, I would be all in.  I still do believe he can medal with his best performance, but wouldn't expect guys to fold that early in the 2nd period!

I get what you're saying but the Yaz match was not Taylor's best of the weekend.  He did take apart Sharipov as well.  That match was not about conditioning.  Nor was the match with the Georgian.  This was more than 1 gas tank victory.

I honestly can't remember if Metcalf ever put together a tournament like that.  I think he was a Yarygin champ so maybe.

I get what you're saying but the Yaz match was not Taylor's best of the weekend. He did take apart Sharipov as well. That match was not about conditioning. Nor was the match with the Georgian. This was more than 1 gas tank victory.

I honestly can't remember if Metcalf ever put together a tournament like that. I think he was a Yarygin champ so maybe.

Metcalf never won Yarigin. I recall he did very well once, I believe it was 2nd.

Yazdani is unproven and untested in 86 Kg.  But the proclaim that Taylor could beat all three on a good day is a quite a statement!

very much look forward to seeing the results.  Taylor would definitely get a match against Sharipov, Yasar and Yazdani will depend on the results.

Definitely focusing on 86 Kg as the weight to watch in this cup

Sorry, what was that?

To be correct, he is a world cup runner up. Not such a thing as a 86 world cup champ, unless he wrestled in 1986.

They do team and individual.  DT and JB were undefeated, so if they're still doing this, then they are the champs in their individual weight classes.  That's what they've been doing, so I don't see why they would change it.

Sorry, what was that?

well, I was correct,  It was quite a statement, but the performance was actually even bolder than the prediction.

He defeated two out of three listed, and surely would have defeated Yasar too if the two met.  His matches were not even close.

In my book, he was the MVP of the tournament by a mile.

Great job by USA in general with DT as the standout.  USA has a very nice group of front line talent but needs to develop better depth.  

Need to get JO in at 65 and hope S Lee is another Snyder.  That would give us 7 solid guys.  No idea what to do at 125.  I guess we can still Gwiz develops.  The ceiling on Rey is low even if he is currently our best.

I get what you're saying but the Yaz match was not Taylor's best of the weekend.  He did take apart Sharipov as well.  That match was not about conditioning.  Nor was the match with the Georgian.  This was more than 1 gas tank victory.

I honestly can't remember if Metcalf ever put together a tournament like that.  I think he was a Yarygin champ so maybe.

My initial reaction after the Georgia match was that it was absolutely about conditioning, but that was 230 am so I am going to try to rewatch without any prejudice.  I just remember thinking in the first period that this is going to be .a long tournament for DT.  Guess I was wrong.  Maybe a new US strategy to sandbag the first period, let the other expend all the energy pushing and attempting to turn.  Then turn it on in the second

They do team and individual.  DT and JB were undefeated, so if they're still doing this, then they are the champs in their individual weight classes.  That's what they've been doing, so I don't see why they would change it.

Interesting,  so there would be two 125k World Cup Champs?  Petra--vili and Ghasemi both went 4 -0.  

Well just for everyone's info, Metcalf was a runner up at Yarygin twice, once in 2013, and then again in 2015, and a Bronze medalist in 2011.

But getting back to 125, I'm not sure if Rey can develop the offense he needs to be a medal threat at the World's. I like Gwiz, but IMO he still has a ways to go. I am not sure if who else there is Bradley, Nelson, Telford, Varner, maybe Gabe Stevenson?

No way Yazdani was injured. He was pushing Taylor like a bull most of the match. He just ran out of steam. Taylor's superior conditioning won that match for him.

I agree, there is no evidence or claim that he was injured, and watching him get up after he got pinned, he did not look injured; he looked completely gassed

Both DT, and Yazdani put on lots of weight.  DT looks ripped, and Yazadani looked a bit flabbier than he did before.

I think Yazadani needs to work on his conditioning.  His relentless style requires him to be able to go full force and use to be in good enough shape to do that, but it appears that he is not.

He is still very young, and can make things right, assuming he can mentally recover from the humiliation of being pinned in front of his home fans

I never understand how people are surprised when Yazdani loses, considering it happens often. I said it before the Olympics but he is a good wrestler and fun to watch but overrated. Does he beat Gedeuv without all the other factors in that match? I say probably not considering how bad he was getting outclassed in the first period. That is the match I want to see again some day. The Yazdani vs Sadulaev talk that was starting up was beyond ridiculous.

All the upset about Yazdani losing from Iranians and they are ignoring that Esmailpour outclassed the reigning world champ. Logan Stieber has been a nightmare for everyone with his high offense and last second wins and Esmailpour beat him pretty easily, didn't even give up a point.

Edited by Shiraz123

Shiraz, he's been at 86 for a few months.  As usual, you are putting the cart before the horse.  Let him grow into the weight a bit.  Taylor was not yesterday's Taylor when he first moved up to 86. 

Now you're even downplaying his win in Rio. 

I think he is and will be great, but you need to reads to comments in Persian to understand where I am coming from. Iranians truly think he's a Sadulaev or Saitiev type. I don't see it. I will say he probably wins another world title, though. As long as Sadulaev leaves the weight. 

I don't even think his performance was bad, he was winning against a guy who was on fire and then gassed out and lost. It happens. Just some of the overblown reactions surprise me. 

The Gedeuv match, I think about it a lot actually. Their results against common opponents are actually very interesting:

Ghasemi - (IRAN, 74KG) Both beat him 8-0, Yazdani in Paris in his first tournament at 74 and Gedeuv in the bronze medal match at 2015 worlds.

Demirtas (TURKEY 74KG) - Gedeuv teched him at the Euro games. Yazdani teched him at the Medved and beat him very comfortably in Rio 7-0. 

Abdurakhmanov (UZBEKISTAN, 74KG) Once again, very similar results. Gedeuv beat him 10-5 in Rio. Yazdani beat him 9-4 at the Medved. 

I really want to see it again. At the time it seemed like it was going to be a repeat of The Gaziamagomedov match, except Gedeuv stopped and Gaziamagomedov kept going in the second period. 

Honestly, i'm a little disaponted in Gedeuv. I had some sympathy for him and he talks all this trash about how Yazdani got lucky (which I think could be true) and how he's going to be looking for him and entering tournaments Yazdani is in, but then he doesn't show up for world cup.