Shiraz123

World cup thread

All the upset about Yazdani losing from Iranians and they are ignoring that Esmailpour outclassed the reigning world champ. Logan Stieber has been a nightmare for everyone with his high offense and last second wins and Esmailpour beat him pretty easily, didn't even give up a point.

Well idk. Steiner won in a depleted field. He has also had quiet a few loses of the years, I'm not sure esmailpour winning is a huge shock, I thought it was 50/50 going into the match. It'll be interesting to see how stieber does wen worlds this year are a little more crowded. I think he medals but I would not predict repeat gold, at least not yet, I think he still needs to tame his offense a bit.

I never understand how people are surprised when Yazdani loses, considering it happens often. I said it before the Olympics but he is a good wrestler and fun to watch but overrated. Does he beat Gedeuv without all the other factors in that match? I say probably not considering how bad he was getting outclassed in the first period. That is the match I want to see again some day. The Yazdani vs Sadulaev talk that was starting up was beyond ridiculous.

All the upset about Yazdani losing from Iranians and they are ignoring that Esmailpour outclassed the reigning world champ. Logan Stieber has been a nightmare for everyone with his high offense and last second wins and Esmailpour beat him pretty easily, didn't even give up a point.

I can explain why Yazdani's loss to me is much bigger disappointment than the joy of  Esmailpour's amazing performance to me

Yazdani is 22.  In the Olympics, he did not give up single point until the finals.  I was and am hopeful than someone that has performed so well at ages of 19-22 can develop into a  truly world class champion.  His best is hopefully ahead of him.

Esmailpour is 28.  He has a silver and bronze, at the worlds,  Yes, he has many Asian championships, but that is not the same thing as winning the world or Olympics.  He will be 31 at the next Olympics. I cannot say his best is ahead of him.

I am impressed as hell with his world cup performance, but do not have hopes that he will win an Olympics gold medal anymore.

Yazdani is 22.  In the Olympics, he did not give up single point until the finals.

not to downplay Yazadani's talent but he did get the cakest draw possible in the Olympics. 

1) no pig tail match

2) Asnage Casetlley HAI, 36 year old Haitian-American with a "underrepresented nation invite" who lasted all of 30 seconds on the mat. 

3) Demirtash TUR, high quality opponent but just got done with a huge 6 minute battle with 2015 World Finalists Purejav MGL

4) Usserbayev KAZ high quality but just got done with 2 huge 6 minute battles with Lopez CUB then Takatani JPN (plus he had a legit pigtail opponent)

anyway, I like Yazdani, he earned his gold medal and he is fun to watch. I hope he bounces back and I think he will adjust to 86. maybe not in time to win gold at France (although maybe!) but in a year or so he should be ready to compete with the best at that weight. 

Well idk. Steiner won in a depleted field. He has also had quiet a few loses of the years, I'm not sure esmailpour winning is a huge shock, I thought it was 50/50 going into the match. It'll be interesting to see how stieber does wen worlds this year are a little more crowded. I think he medals but I would not predict repeat gold, at least not yet, I think he still needs to tame his offense a bit.

I was not shocked Esmailpour won, more that he won with basically no issues. I did not expect that. Before the match I thought both would score a lot of points on each other.

Abdul, Taylor got Valiev's soul.  That's what he got.

How many mouths could that car of his feed in Russia, Abdul.

He got a car.  Good for him, I guess.  Want a medal?

Taylor was good in World Cup, congrats, i mean that he did big show! but silver medal and that's all???? he must get paychech 100,000$! beat Sharip Sharipov (2012 London) and Yazdani (2016 Rio)!!! but Cox wait for Taylor, can't wait WTT! Cox will get Taylor's shoul i hope! COX COX COX 

How does noting that Taylor out stamina'd a guy diminish his win? Basically it tells me Taylor was in better shape, which means he wanted it more and was willing to put in more work than Yazdani did. If anything it's a compliment...nobody in their right mind doubts Taylor's technical ability.

Taylor wrestled really well the entire WC. However Yazdani was making a leap from 74kg to 86kg. (163LBS to 189LBS.) I do not see why it is such a mystery why Yazdani got worn out; he was wrestling physically bigger opponents and the weight jump is significant.

I think 86kg is a very good weight for Taylor because he has the frame to grow into it. Would be curious to know what he weighed in at the WC, but his height makes his being a legitimate 86kg wrestler possible.  . 

Edited by straggler

Taylor wrestled really well the entire WC. However Yazdani was making a leap from 74kg to 86kg. (163LBS to 189LBS.) I do not see why it is such a mystery why Yazdani got worn out; he was wrestling physically bigger opponents and the weight jump is significant.

I think 86kg is a very good weight for Taylor because he has the frame to grow into it. Would be curious to know what he weighed in at the WC, but his height makes his being a legitimate 86kg wrestler possible.  . 

Straggler, do you see Yazdani growing more into the weight?

A guy traveling that far beats an Iranian on his home soil and it was because of conditioning? That's funny. Taylor's low shot was lethal the entire WC. I just didn't like him getting pushed out so easily.

Abdul, all of us want to see Taylor/ Cox, you're invited!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Straggler, do you see Yazdani growing more into the weight?

I do not know very much about Yazdani but my impression from the video is that he does not have the type of tall frame that Taylor does that could support a weight jump of that significance. 

What I do not get is that in commenting on Taylor's win no one seems to be mentioning the elephant in the room , the weight jump. Even if Yazdani could eventually grow into a legitimate 86kg wrestler, there is no way to have done so since Rio where he competed at 74kg. Of course getting worn out going against physically bigger guys is a distinct possibility.