Shiraz123

World cup thread

I do not know very much about Yazdani but my impression from the video is that he does not have the type of tall frame that Taylor does that could support a weight jump of that significance. 

What I do not get is that in commenting on Taylor's win no one seems to be mentioning the elephant in the room , the weight jump. Even if Yazdani could eventually grow into a legitimate 86kg wrestler, there is no way to have done so since Rio where he competed at 74kg. Of course getting worn out going against physically bigger guys is a distinct possibility. 

I don't see any elephants.

DT vs Dake talk finally over ?

Dake is too small.   With Taylor finally growing into the weight class, Dake stands little to no chance, and we're seeing the same may hold true for the world.   He is no longer undersized and cutting excessively.      David Taylor has arrived.    

I really think Varner needs to wrestle one more year at Heavy.

Same here.   He looked very good last year, and given time to really adjust and settle in and USA looks pretty slid going forward.   

I can see USA going with Russia's B team and representing well.   

Well I can say that DT had a tremendous WC, and conditioning was indeed a factor. But it was also his slickness and scrambling that helped him break his opponents. I know some on this thread have said okay let's not get too excited, and then use Metcalf as an example, describing that fact he was also pretty tremendous at WC but could never get it done at the World Championships. Well to that I would say several things, the first this has to be a phenomenal boost to DT's confidence, and has to put a lot of others on notice, and when Big Mo is in your corner, it can do wonders. Secondly, I think DT has more offensive and defensive weapons that Metcalf ever did. And as far as Metcalf is concerned, I believe that the reason Metcalf never medaled at the World Championships is because he placed so much on himself psychologically that he was never able to perform optimally, and unfortunately he had to wrestle through that as well as his opponents. So I believe comparing DT to Metcalf is like comparing apples to oranges.

Brent gets a pass from me.    Most of you like beating him up and hanging on his futility at the WC and inability to make that elusive Olympic team.   Yeah I get it, he let a lot of people down.    He let the Iowa team and coaching staff down.     I get it.     But he has to live with it.   There's no reason to continue to beat him up on these boards.       Brent had a lot less natural gifts than most and limited coaching comparatively,  and he did more with it than most would have been able to do.    I for 1 fully embrace and appreciate all Brent did for wrestling.     What I'd give to see him make one more run.    Just one more go for old time's sake. 

I need to say it though:  David did something that no one else can really say: he pinned the Iranian Olympic champion, in Iran, in the most amazing wrestling environment, bar none, that I have ever seen in my life. That is really, REALLY cool :)

He also beat a "former" world and olympic champ in Sharipov that knocked out his mentor at the 2011 worlds although his mentor was on a 7 year layoff but still that is cool as well. We all see though that Sharipov is not the same guy he was in 2011 but still! Taylor has got some extra chest hairs pinned on him in the PSU room by Varner and especially Cael! Taylor needed that type of event for his mental psyche. He is going to steamroll the guys at 189 at trials! 

Taylor and his 2 Spanish Grand Prix titles will own Sadulaev. White House leaks indicate Trump and Mattis might have to divert Team USA's flight home so Taylor can join in a Secret Ops mission to get that Russian ship out of US waters.

I don't think you are allowed to use this argument anymore

i have seen just as many 2 and 2 scenarios called exactly like the one in question... a wrestler put in danger while in the process of a takedown... the wrestler finishes the takedown... 2 and 2

exactly how it was scored after the successful challenge by the mongolian wrestler...

https://youtu.be/KI6DR1_x4z8?t=77

What is Varner ' current weight ? I also like that idea

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Word is Varner is done although this is not confirmed. I think he walks around at 225-230 which would be a small heavy and most likely be a problem. But Gatsalov did it weighing 220. Hope he considers it but have to change his mind very soon. He is training with Taylor so he has been wrestling. But from the way it sounds he is done.