Sign in to follow this  
djd5391

What PSU IOWA showed me

I saw a team that as a whole is good enough to beat PSU in a dual, but in an individual tournament will not score enough to hang with the Nittany lions. So congrats to Iowa on the dual win, PSU will be waiting in March

I agree with Penn State lack of wind. To me Iowa showed they have a heart. McBono -St. John winning the close one. Ramos and Ballweg getting the bonus points. And Moore and gramball staying off their back against two of the best pinners. I will take Penn in a tournament but it looks like the Cowboys are #1

i left thinking that there is no way St john wins NCAA

It will be tough to win with is style, as he keeps most matches close, but, Kellen Russell proved that you can win that way. However, you are putting yourself in danger each match, so, the odds of getting knocked off increase. DSJ is tough to score on. Dylan had a perfect shot, and was just barely able to get the score last night, and then he gave up the counter takedown when he got a 2nd solid shot. As a PSU fan, I came away from last night thinking that Dylan has a legitimate shot at a national championship. I know he lost, but, I think he is wrestling with some fire in his eyes this year. Hopefully, it rubs off on his brother.

Granted Taylor and Ruth are special, but I think Cael now has PSU to the point where it reloads, not rebuilds.

Morgan McIntosh steps in next year beefed up enough to become one of the top 197 pounders. Guilbon steps in at 133. PA annually produces the most college wrestlers, Cael gets his pick. It only took PSU 40 years to get the right coach. When he's done he'll be just behind Gable and Gallagher as the college coaches with the most NCAA titles.

2 years from now Ruth is gone and so is Taylor is too. They fall back to earth hard.

Will still be loaded. Sketch it in ink. Of course losing DT and Ruth won't be fun, but there are plenty of studs coming. Not to mention, whoever gets Marsteller is in for a treat.

Putting quality wrestlers in your line up is one thing. Penn State will continue to do that. But Penn State's tournament strength is powered by two freakish bonus point scorers in David Taylor and Ed Ruth, and the odds of getting two of those guys on one team at the same time is small. So they will be "back in the pack", so to speak.

Putting quality wrestlers in your line up is one thing. Penn State will continue to do that. But Penn State's tournament strength is powered by two freakish bonus point scorers in David Taylor and Ed Ruth, and the odds of getting two of those guys on one team at the same time is small. So they will be "back in the pack", so to speak.

Morgan Mcintosh, Nico, Guillibon should all do this consistently. Again, whoever gets Marsteller, whether its your or us, will have the same DT potential.

i left thinking that there is no way St john wins NCAA

When Dake moved up, I thought it was DSJ's to lose (No guarantee, of course). For some reason, James Green keeps coming into my head when I think of who will win 157. Alton could be there too. He looked pretty tough last night.

Morgan Mcintosh, Nico, Guillibon should all do this consistently. Again, whoever gets Marsteller, whether its your or us, will have the same DT potential.

What evidence do you have to show that any of these guys will be the "bonus freaks" that Taylor or Ruth are? Taylor and Ruth are guys who get bonus points in the NCAA semifinals and finals. That's special, and McIntosh, Nico, and Gulibon just aren't that good. Not an insult to them, there aren't many wrestlers ever on that level.

What evidence do you have to show that any of these guys will be the "bonus freaks" that Taylor or Ruth are? Taylor and Ruth are guys who get bonus points in the NCAA semifinals and finals. That's special, and McIntosh, Nico, and Gulibon just aren't that good. Not an insult to them, there aren't many wrestlers ever on that level.

I said they should be able to consistently get bonus. Just my opinion. Maybe not quite as much, but relatively close.

Dylan Alton was not only the beneficiary of the review decision--was was obviously correct- he also got a nice little blow at a time when it looked like he might collapse. His face during the second period was going from red to purple.

The Alton boys better get in shape by March.

And please stop with the excuses of their"layoff" during the suspension (Johnson/Gibbons commentary). What were they doing that month--watching TV, eating Twinkies, sleeping in?

I said they should be able to consistently get bonus. Just my opinion. Maybe not quite as much, but relatively close.

Completely disagree. Gulibon is having a good RS year, but hardly spectacular RS year. McIntosh I haven't actually seen him this year, but there was literally 0 evidence as a true frosh that he was going to be a dominant wrestler. Mega is the best out of this trio, but he looks like he's going to be "just" a very good wrestler contending for NCAA titles, not a guy that is lapping the field. I think you're severely underestimating and understating what Taylor and Ruth for Penn State.

I agree, Vak. DT and Ruth are freaks, in that they score bonus points against virtually any opponent, even most elite opponents. That's hard (virtually impossible) to replace.

Nico is quite good, but at this point he doesn't bonus nearly as much as DT or Ruth. He's a true soph, so in that regard he's likely to become better at bonusing in future years, as his body matures and he gets stronger. I don't see him ever at DT or Ruth's level.

McIntosh is an enigma. He was a bonus machine in HS, mostly because he could pretty much take down his opponents at will. He didn't do that too much last year as a true freshman. I think his youth, and lack of size were a big factor in this. Plus, he messsed up his knee during the season, and that seemed to affect him the rest of the way. I don't think anyone is projecting that he'll be Kilgore-esque with bonusing next year, but we really don't get much info on what he's working on, or where his technique is, these days. I don't see him bonusing like DT or Ruth, but he's got the potential to rack of some bonuses due to his TD technique.

Gulibon was pretty good at bonusing in HS, where he was so much better than most of his opponents. Can he duplicate that in college, where the competition is, for the most part, significantly better? Far too soon to tell, as he's only wrestled Opens so far while he redshirts. Again, odds are high, and experience suggests, that he won't be near the level of DT and Ruth.

Discussion on one of the PSU boards today that in 2 years the team may not bonus as much, but may be stronger from top to bottom. That's a possibility; time will tell. It would be a different way to reach a National Championship, though until we know if it comes to fruition, or if any of the competing teams develop into bonus teams, it's just speculation.

Completely disagree. Gulibon is having a good RS year, but hardly spectacular RS year. McIntosh I haven't actually seen him this year, but there was literally 0 evidence as a true frosh that he was going to be a dominant wrestler. Mega is the best out of this trio, but he looks like he's going to be "just" a very good wrestler contending for NCAA titles, not a guy that is lapping the field. I think you're severely underestimating and understating what Taylor and Ruth for Penn State.

Time will tell. I never said they will replace DT and Ruth. Obviously, that's a very tall order. I said that a few guys coming up should come close. The few that I mentioned, IMO, will get bonus very often.

Guilibon was who he was in PA for good reason. Regardless, what he does this year, I expect him to pile up points in bunches. McIntosh was a boy wrestling at a mans weight last year and held his own for the most part. He broke down late, but I fully expect him to compete for a title as a sophomore and rack points up doing so. Nico is already piling up bonus as a true soph, and it should be his weight to lose for the next 2 years. We shall see.

somewhere around 53-54 points for ruth and taylor last year out of 143. minny was 2nd with 117. the dynamics will change in the next few years, but i think they will be scoring points in all 10 weights that will make up for ruth and taylor's absence.

McIntosh contending for a title next year is just wishful thinking right now. I repeat, you're seriously underestimating how many points DT and RUth actually score for the team.

I just see Morgan being ready. He has excellent skills and the weight class is really clearing out quite a bit.

By no means am I underestimating DT or Ruth as I know how special they are and what they bring.

It's just our pipeline is looking nice and they are all kids that have potential to rack bonus which happens to be what their coach preaches.

1. Derek St. John Tech Shane Brown (Cumberland) 19-4 1-0

2. Derek St. John Dec Jedd Moore (Virginia) 6-0 2-0

3. Derek St. John Maj Trey Stavrum (Chattanooga) 19-6 3-0

4. Derek St. John Tech Kyle Lowman (SIU-Edwardsville) 17-1 4-0

5. Derek St. John Fall Josh Guenther (Cornell Coll) 2:47 5-0

6. Derek St. John Maj Logan Molina (Iowa State) 16-5 6-0

7. Derek St. John Dec Joey Napoli (Lehigh) 6-0 7-0

8. Derek St. John Maj Cody Ruggirello (Hofstra) 16-4 8-0

9. Derek St. John Fall Vincent Favia (Bucknell) 4:53 9-0

10. Derek St. John Maj Wally Maziarz (Buffalo) 21-7 10-0

11. Derek St. John Dec Josh Demas (Ohio State) 4-2 11-0

12. Derek St. John Dec Tommy Churchard (Purdue) 7-2 12-0

13. Derek St. John Dec Alex Dieringer (Oklahoma State) 8-4 13-0

14. Derek St. John Tech Collin Zeerip (Michigan) 22-7 14-0

15. Derek St. John Dec Ryan Watts (Michigan State) 12-6 15-0

16. Derek St. John Dec Danny Zilverberg (Minnesota) 6-2 16-0

I posted this in another thread but what are you guys talking about St. John keeping matches close??!! Demas is it. He killed Moore, he killed Napoli, and he killed Dieringer. What do you mean he keeps matches close??!! Demas is the only close match he has had all year before Alton. Someone please explain what the hell you are talking about.