Sign in to follow this  
djd5391

What PSU IOWA showed me

McIntosh contending for a title next year is just wishful thinking right now. I repeat, you're seriously underestimating how many points DT and RUth actually score for the team.

PSU won with depth last year, not "bonus freaks". Five finalists and a 3rd will get it done every time.

1. Derek St. John Tech Shane Brown (Cumberland) 19-4 1-0

2. Derek St. John Dec Jedd Moore (Virginia) 6-0 2-0

3. Derek St. John Maj Trey Stavrum (Chattanooga) 19-6 3-0

4. Derek St. John Tech Kyle Lowman (SIU-Edwardsville) 17-1 4-0

5. Derek St. John Fall Josh Guenther (Cornell Coll) 2:47 5-0

6. Derek St. John Maj Logan Molina (Iowa State) 16-5 6-0

7. Derek St. John Dec Joey Napoli (Lehigh) 6-0 7-0

8. Derek St. John Maj Cody Ruggirello (Hofstra) 16-4 8-0

9. Derek St. John Fall Vincent Favia (Bucknell) 4:53 9-0

10. Derek St. John Maj Wally Maziarz (Buffalo) 21-7 10-0

11. Derek St. John Dec Josh Demas (Ohio State) 4-2 11-0

12. Derek St. John Dec Tommy Churchard (Purdue) 7-2 12-0

13. Derek St. John Dec Alex Dieringer (Oklahoma State) 8-4 13-0

14. Derek St. John Tech Collin Zeerip (Michigan) 22-7 14-0

15. Derek St. John Dec Ryan Watts (Michigan State) 12-6 15-0

16. Derek St. John Dec Danny Zilverberg (Minnesota) 6-2 16-0

I posted this in another thread but what are you guys talking about St. John keeping matches close??!! Demas is it. He killed Moore, he killed Napoli, and he killed Dieringer. What do you mean he keeps matches close??!! Demas is the only close match he has had all year before Alton. Someone please explain what the hell you are talking about.

You won't see me talking smack on DSJ cause I have no need to. But I wouldn't consider 6-0 killing someone. Ramos from last night or DT from last night better fits the title of 'killing' someone.

McIntosh contending for a title next year is just wishful thinking right now. I repeat, you're seriously underestimating how many points DT and RUth actually score for the team.

PSU won with depth last year, not "bonus freaks". Five finalists and a 3rd will get it done every time.

They scored 143 points last year, and 138 of them came from those 6 wrestlers.

6 out of 10 guys placing in the top 3 is pretty balanced. Minus the "Hulk", they'll do fine again this year, come tournament time.

Regardless of the team .... I always get nervous when it comes down to the heavy's to finish/win a tough dual.

Hell of a dual last night. Congrats to Iowa. I also agree with the conditioning in a couple of the matches. We are getting close to crunch time, and guys should be able to go the distance, or more by now.

That's the point. When 60% of your team finishes 3rd or better you're going to win NCAAs every time on placement alone. The bonus points were just gravy.

That's the point. When 60% of your team finishes 3rd or better you're going to win NCAAs every time on placement alone. The bonus points were just gravy.

The funny thing about this is if you take away PSU's bonus they tie Minnesota. PSU scored exactly 25.5 bonus pts and Minnesota scored 117.5. 19.5 of that bonus was between Taylor, Ruth and Wright.

If Penn State scored no bonus points from their big gun place winners, they would have lost the NCAA tournament.

Is it very likely that PSU gets no bonus points in the early rounds from all six guys? You're sensible most of the time, Vak, but this line of argument is a stretch.

The funny thing about this is if you take away PSU's bonus they tie Minnesota. PSU scored exactly 25.5 bonus pts and Minnesota scored 117.5. 19.5 of that bonus was between Taylor, Ruth and Wright.

Does Minny get to keep their bonus points? Or are you just handicapping PSU?

If Penn State scored no bonus points from their big gun place winners, they would have lost the NCAA tournament.

Is it very likely that PSU gets no bonus points in the early rounds from all six guys? You're sensible most of the time, Vak, but this line of argument is a stretch.

You said they would have won without the bonus. I said you were wrong. How am I stretching it? You can't have it both ways.

You said they would have won without the bonus. I said you were wrong. How am I stretching it? You can't have it both ways.

Because you're now eliminating bonus points from "their big gun place winners" when you started this line of argument with just two guys, DT & Ruth. How many guys have to give up their bonus for your line of argument to work, 3...4?

PSU had better depth...get over it

Cael will continue to produce bonus scoring studs. Maybe not 2 at a time as highly touted as Ruth and DT, but more than likely more than the field. I'd be curious to know how our bonus matches up against the field minus Ruth and Taylor throughout the season. Again just CURIOUS, not making any assumptions.

SInce "we're" taking away all of Penn State's bonus, may as well take Dardannes and Nelson's from Minnie and McDonough (didn't he have bonus in every round except the finals?) and Ramos' for Iowa.

There, everything is "even".

And Penn State still wins the NCAA's on depth.

Losing Taylor and Ruth will certainly be a hit. But Cael Sanderson is doing what coach Gable use to do. Building a team with depth. In most programs, Gullibon would be wrestling this year. Sanderson is afforded the opportunity of not having to wrestle him becuase he is comfortable withthe point scoreres he has at other weights.

That's a luxury he is likely to have for quite some time.

Yes if 6 point shutout wins is keeping it close or just 6 point wins in general is keeping it close then yea DSJ wrestles close with everyone. In my eyes DSJ has killed everyone except for Demas and Alton. He doesn't keep it close with anyone. He dominates. Just check facts before posting is all I'm saying.

Yes if 6 point shutout wins is keeping it close or just 6 point wins in general is keeping it close then yea DSJ wrestles close with everyone. In my eyes DSJ has killed everyone except for Demas and Alton. He doesn't keep it close with anyone. He dominates. Just check facts before posting is all I'm saying.

I want to see what adjustments Welch makes when they meet this season.

I want to see what adjustments Welch makes when they meet this season.

Hey, Palmer got Metcalf after 5+ tries... It could be lucky #6 coming up.

1. Derek St. John Tech Shane Brown (Cumberland) 19-4 1-0

2. Derek St. John Dec Jedd Moore (Virginia) 6-0 2-0

3. Derek St. John Maj Trey Stavrum (Chattanooga) 19-6 3-0

4. Derek St. John Tech Kyle Lowman (SIU-Edwardsville) 17-1 4-0

5. Derek St. John Fall Josh Guenther (Cornell Coll) 2:47 5-0

6. Derek St. John Maj Logan Molina (Iowa State) 16-5 6-0

7. Derek St. John Dec Joey Napoli (Lehigh) 6-0 7-0

8. Derek St. John Maj Cody Ruggirello (Hofstra) 16-4 8-0

9. Derek St. John Fall Vincent Favia (Bucknell) 4:53 9-0

10. Derek St. John Maj Wally Maziarz (Buffalo) 21-7 10-0

11. Derek St. John Dec Josh Demas (Ohio State) 4-2 11-0

12. Derek St. John Dec Tommy Churchard (Purdue) 7-2 12-0

13. Derek St. John Dec Alex Dieringer (Oklahoma State) 8-4 13-0

14. Derek St. John Tech Collin Zeerip (Michigan) 22-7 14-0

15. Derek St. John Dec Ryan Watts (Michigan State) 12-6 15-0

16. Derek St. John Dec Danny Zilverberg (Minnesota) 6-2 16-0

I posted this in another thread but what are you guys talking about St. John keeping matches close??!! Demas is it. He killed Moore, he killed Napoli, and he killed Dieringer. What do you mean he keeps matches close??!! Demas is the only close match he has had all year before Alton. Someone please explain what the hell you are talking about.

Gonzo, if multiple people on multiple topics are saying the same thing, then there must be some truth to St. John wrestling close matches. Let's take a look some of the more recent matches.

Zilverberg is not currently ranked in the Top 20 - DEC

Watts is not currently ranked in the Top 20 - DEC

Churchard is not currently ranked in the Top 20 - DEC

Demas is currently ranked #18 - DEC

The three you listed were also DECISIONS. In no one's book is that "killing". And if you are speaking of Jedd Moore, he is not ranked in the top 20 either.

Now, the #1 Ranked wrestler in a Division 1 weight should be able to score bonus points in those situations. The kid is obviously a stud, earning two national medals in two years, but he wrestles his competition more closely than the other elites. Last night Taylor took the #13 ranked kid, who's only goal was to not get turned, and he teched him anyways. Some people may be expecting the same thing from St. John.

Especially the Altons.

And, Cael needs to revisit his affirmation of Gingerich as his Hwt. entry.

This is correct assessmant , The Altons look like they could both go real far if they get in shape

that was for sure. Looked impressive but need to be in better shape , agree 100% on Heavy weight

looks like Lawson is more dangerous and maybe can suprise a few people but Gingrich is not

going far in tournament if this continues.

Nico -great job AA

133, 141 ?

Alton AA

Alton AA

Taylor finalist

Ruth Champ

Wright AA

Hvy ?

SInce "we're" taking away all of Penn State's bonus, may as well take Dardannes and Nelson's from Minnie and McDonough (didn't he have bonus in every round except the finals?) and Ramos' for Iowa.

There, everything is "even".

And Penn State still wins the NCAA's on depth.

Losing Taylor and Ruth will certainly be a hit. But Cael Sanderson is doing what coach Gable use to do. Building a team with depth. In most programs, Gullibon would be wrestling this year. Sanderson is afforded the opportunity of not having to wrestle him becuase he is comfortable withthe point scoreres he has at other weights.

That's a luxury he is likely to have for quite some time.

I think you mean in most unranked programs Guillibon would be wrestling this year. Just like all the other highly ranked recruits that go to highly ranked teams, and sit on the bench as they should. If you HAVE to wrestle true freshmen, regardless of the "hype", you've got holes you don't want in your lineup.

Putting quality wrestlers in your line up is one thing. Penn State will continue to do that. But Penn State's tournament strength is powered by two freakish bonus point scorers in David Taylor and Ed Ruth, and the odds of getting two of those guys on one team at the same time is small. So they will be "back in the pack", so to speak.

Morgan Mcintosh, Nico, Guillibon should all do this consistently. Again, whoever gets Marsteller, whether its your or us, will have the same DT potential.

If you're speaking in terms of a dual with Bucknell, I agree with you all the way. NCAA tourney, not so much.

First and Foremost Congrats to Iowa!!!

>>>125, 157 and 174 was worth the price of admission and then some

>>>Didn't really change much in the TPI but Iowa has bragging rights

>>>Some mental errors that can be corrected come BIG Ten Tournament time

>>>Conditioning was a factor not sure exactly why but it can be corrected...Iowa gutted out some wins

>>>Mr. Taylor put on a show...I'm sure the BTN was loving the viewership

P.S. Hated to see The PSU "Train" lose but sometimes you lose a battle but win the war!!!

Putting quality wrestlers in your line up is one thing. Penn State will continue to do that. But Penn State's tournament strength is powered by two freakish bonus point scorers in David Taylor and Ed Ruth, and the odds of getting two of those guys on one team at the same time is small. So they will be "back in the pack", so to speak.

Morgan Mcintosh, Nico, Guillibon should all do this consistently. Again, whoever gets Marsteller, whether its your or us, will have the same DT potential.

If you're speaking in terms of a dual with Bucknell, I agree with you all the way. NCAA tourney, not so much.

I'm talking both. PSU doesn't wrestle as many bottom barrel teams as most others do. A couple, but not many.

PSU doesn't wrestle as many bottom barrel teams as most others do. A couple, but not many.

Right... That's why they skip National Duals to wrestle that tough road trip out in Utah! ;)

Iowa for example...

Cumberland, TN? Wtf? Who is this?

Chattanooga

SIUE? Who is this?

Cornell College

Iowa central CC

Hofstra

Bucknell

Buffalo

Give me a break dude

rodney-I've posted before that Iowa's schedule pisses me off. I hate scheduling all these easy win duals. I can see one weekend of warm up killings but that's it. I just trust that Tom Brands knows what he's doing. I assume the PSU crowd does the same of Cael.

matt-Just because other people think DSJ keeps it close doesn't mean anything dude. That means they're stupid too. I posted DSJ's matches for the year in three different topics. Yes, 6-0 is killing someone at the D1 level. He has had 2 close matches all year. I'll post his matches again if need be. Demas and Alton are all that kept it close with DSJ. Napoli beat Alton and DSJ handled him. HANDLED him!

P.S. Matt, I'm pretty sure that Jedd Moore beat James Green. Regardless of his ranking he beat Green and Green is a stud. DSJ HANDLED Moore!