Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

Penn State v. Illinois

Good match, did they call Joseph for a stall at all? He deserved at least one...

I don't remember a warning. When IMar gets an underhook you are wise not to stand toe-to-toe and try to match throw for throw. IMar definitely pressed the action when he had favorable tie, Cenzo smart not to press the action at those times and seek separation . He works well from space vs. Imar from ties. I wouldn't have warned a stall because the action ebbed and flowed enough to satisfy me. But it wouldn't have shocked me either if a ref reached for it. I don't think a warning would have improved the action, happy to let their contrasting styles play out and keep the ref out of it.

Has there ever been a more punishing on-top then Retherford? Everything he does is potentially dangerous- the rules may not define his various torques as potentially dangerous but he executes turns like a rampaging hydraulic power tool.

-------------------------------

Yojo Uetake of Oklahoma State University. Once called for stalling he went to work and wiped out his opponent. Hurt him just with how powerful he wrestled. Generally a mild mannered wrestler who was 'never challenged on the mat' per Myron Roderick, his coach.

Dan Gable would punish guys while working for the win. Arm bars that hurt to exhaustion and then move to the other arm. Tight waist ride that bruised ribs.

Kyle Dake was a powerful rider when he wanted to control an opponent.

Has there ever been a more punishing on-top then Retherford? Everything he does is potentially dangerous- the rules may not define his various torques as potentially dangerous but he executes turns like a rampaging hydraulic power tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. How long have you been watching college wrestling? No doubt Retherford is tough on top but this is a ridiculous statement

-------------------------------

Yojo Uetake of Oklahoma State University. Once called for stalling he went to work and wiped out his opponent. Hurt him just with how powerful he wrestled. Generally a mild mannered wrestler who was 'never challenged on the mat' per Myron Roderick, his coach.

Dan Gable would punish guys while working for the win. Arm bars that hurt to exhaustion and then move to the other arm. Tight waist ride that bruised ribs.

Kyle Dake was a powerful rider when he wanted to control an opponent.

Yeah, Gable was relentless. Back then there wasn't much TV access to wrestling so I didn't get to watch much - and the resolution of my TV was so poor you couldn't see the pain on the faces that you can see in big screen high definition nowadays. Uetake I don't know well - didn't see much of him. Dake always seemed smothering, but as far a painful I'd still say Retherford.

Speaking of hydraulics - they need to infuse hydraulic fast set water cement into Nolf's nose. They're taping around his nose! He's got a bandage completely around his head. This could be problematic during tournaments.

No one was more frustrated than Nolf.  He has one of, if not the, best gas tanks in the history of wrestling.  Anytime there is a break, you can tell he is ticked off, as it takes away from a part of his strategy.  I just thing he took an incidental headbutt into the nose, and it was bad enough that it just keep bleeding.  It won't be a long term problem.

5-2 Imar TD at end

That match could be a big confidence boost for Cenzo.  With his close match (that should have been a win, if he was more strategic) over Jordan, and now, this performance against IMart, should have his confidence peaking.  The talents is there.

Mark Hall over Brunson 17-1

I've got a feeling that when St. Louis comes, his loss to Meyer will be a distant, insignificant memory.  When Cortez was ruled out, the move to pull Hall's shirt was a no-brainer.  Will it be the difference maker in St. Louis, I can't say for sure, but, having Hall's ceiling certainly helps their chances.

Honestly, I know there are is a lot of PSU fan boasting, and I can only imagine how annoying that is to fans of other program.

I do have to say that as a fan, they are an absolute joy to watch.  Not only because of their talent (which helps), but, they are obviously taught to attack non-stop and to look to score at every opportunity.  They  also chase the bonus point(s) like madmen and it great to see.  Not everyone wrestles the style that is obviously being taught, but, 80% of them do, and it is great for college wrestling.  All sports are copycat leagues, and teams are going to continue to try to bring in kids that can adapt to the PSU style.  This will be great for our sport.

As much as I love PSU, this is the one sport where the sport itself trumps that.  I love and support wrestling.  At nationals, I, of course, root for PSU first.  I then root for homegrown PA wrestlers, PA Wrestling schools, & then, I just appreciate great wrestling, regardless of who it comes from.

It's that time of year and I'm getting extremely anxious.  I can't wait to meet new great wrestling fans in St. Louis !

That match could be a big confidence boost for Cenzo. With his close match (that should have been a win, if he was more strategic) over Jordan, and now, this performance against IMart, should have his confidence peaking. The talents is there.

Cenzo is good, but he didn't score an offensive point. His game was shut down by iMar as expected.

I've got a feeling that when St. Louis comes, his loss to Meyer will be a distant, insignificant memory. When Cortez was ruled out, the move to pull Hall's shirt was a no-brainer. Will it be the difference maker in St. Louis, I can't say for sure, but, having Hall's ceiling certainly helps their chances.

PSU is a pretty big favorite with Hall. Huge fan of his and he is a great wrestler. With that said, I am pretty confident Zahid beats him, Bo is a favorite, Preisch and a Epperly are 50:50.

It will really depend on his seed. He needs to make the finals of Big10s at the very least, or he could take a loss early.

Brooks I agree is an underdog in a rematch, but it does hurt his seed.

PSU is a pretty big favorite with Hall. Huge fan of his and he is a great wrestler. With that said, I am pretty confident Zahid beats him, Bo is a favorite, Preisch and a Epperly are 50:50.

It will really depend on his seed. He needs to make the finals of Big10s at the very least, or he could take a loss early.

Brooks I agree is an underdog in a rematch, but it does hurt his seed.

Hall won this match with several turns from top. That should scare some folks. Earlier in the year, Hall had zero interest in mat wrestling. If he continues to improve in this area, he becomes a favorite in March. In neutral, the only wrestler at 174 that can hang with him is Zahid. If he can combine his neautral skills with a punishing top game...look out.

Hall won this match with several turns from top. That should scare some folks. Earlier in the year, Hall had zero interest in mat wrestling. If he continues to improve in this area, he becomes a favorite in March. In neutral, the only wrestler at 174 that can hang with him is Zahid. If he can combine his neautral skills with a punishing top game...look out.

What top level guy will Hall turn? Maybe he has improved dramatically there, but turning Brunson is not the same as turning any of the top level guys.

Well cripes, shouldn't there be a herd of 149'ers chomping at the bit to move up to 157 to make it a contest?  

Some have, like Clagon.  I guess it depends if they feel they have a better shot at the top 149s or the top 157s.