Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Protecting seeds hurts duals

I posted this in the Iowa PSU thread and really think this needs more attention with the argument of Dual Championships vs. Tournament Champs.

Actually I think Brian Smith deserves a slap on the wrist for last night. He pulled a Tom Ryan and basically dumped the dual for seeding purposes. And this move is EXACTLY why something has to be done about the dual format. Keeping Bradley out to preserve his record ruined what should have been a great dual. I understand the move because, in the end, all that matters is the NCAA tournament. This needs to be changed. Too many duals draw fans for marquee match ups to end up having 1 or both of the wrestlers not even wrestle. Any fan who paid to watch the dual should have the right to get their money back.

MSU158

Bronze Member

Is the Tom Ryan cheap shot in reference to Logan Stieber?

A couple years ago Coach Ryan moved up Pucillo to 197 instead of wrestling him against Herbert.

Nope he just sat him out. Everyone showed up to that dual for that match. Ryan has done this, whether its coincidence or on purpose is up for debate.

I believe it was, allow me to set the poster straight on this. Logan Stieber had a legitimate hamstring tear that sidelined him for 3+ weeks that was shown by an MRI scan after he obviously felt something was wrong. To say Ryan held him out to protect a seed is pretty idiotic and anyone who would believe that is, well...and idiot. Also, Stieber is #1. The Champ. His closest competition is a guy he beat 3x in a row in one season. Would make no sense whatsoever for a coach to hold out a wrestler who has dominated that opponent in the past, only to stick in a sub who is surely to get destroyed. Trust me, Ryan wanted Logan in that match.

Now, for the guys who are seeded 2-4 who get shuffled around by coaches to get the most favorable seeds are doing it because ITS THERE JOBS to get these kids in the best possible position to make a run at a national title/AA status. So u didnt get to see the marquee matchup u wanted to see. BIG DEAL U LIl BABY! These kids have worked a lifetime to get to this point and i highly doubt they give 2 shts about ur crybaby whining. Sit back, watch the matches they give you and shut up.

I posted this in the Iowa PSU thread and really think this needs more attention with the argument of Dual Championships vs. Tournament Champs.

Actually I think Brian Smith deserves a slap on the wrist for last night. He pulled a Tom Ryan and basically dumped the dual for seeding purposes. And this move is EXACTLY why something has to be done about the dual format. Keeping Bradley out to preserve his record ruined what should have been a great dual. I understand the move because, in the end, all that matters is the NCAA tournament. This needs to be changed. Too many duals draw fans for marquee match ups to end up having 1 or both of the wrestlers not even wrestle. Any fan who paid to watch the dual should have the right to get their money back.

You're going to hear no argument from me on this point. However, your next point, about pulling a Tom Ryan, is entirely wrong. Tom Ryan did what he did (bumping Pucillo to 197) to win the dual, whereas your characterization of what Brian Smith did is spot-on.

That said, I'd like to know how many people on this PLANET thought Todd Porter would major Chris Perry. My guess is, that number is fewer than one.

I believe it was, allow me to set the poster straight on this. Logan Stieber had a legitimate hamstring tear that sidelined him for 3+ weeks that was shown by an MRI scan after he obviously felt something was wrong. To say Ryan held him out to protect a seed is pretty idiotic and anyone who would believe that is, well...and idiot. Also, Stieber is #1. The Champ. His closest competition is a guy he beat 3x in a row in one season. Would make no sense whatsoever for a coach to hold out a wrestler who has dominated that opponent in the past, only to stick in a sub who is surely to get destroyed. Trust me, Ryan wanted Logan in that match.

Now, for the guys who are seeded 2-4 who get shuffled around by coaches to get the most favorable seeds are doing it because ITS THERE JOBS to get these kids in the best possible position to make a run at a national title/AA status. So u didnt get to see the marquee matchup u wanted to see. BIG DEAL U LIl BABY! These kids have worked a lifetime to get to this point and i highly doubt they give 2 shts about ur crybaby whining. Sit back, watch the matches they give you and shut up.

Wow where did ANYTHING I say warrant the personal attack that you just threw at me. I am FAR from a little baby and I am confident if you knew me in person you would apologize for the crap you just spewed my way. Ryan has been in the spotlight for this on several occasions. There is no way to prove or disprove his motivations but when it happens more than once it can be considered more than circumstantial. In addition, I even said I UNDERSTAND why it is done. I know first hand how hard you have to work to try to be an AA and with the current format this has to be done. But I believe it is a MAJOR part of why wrestling is falling off the map at the DI level and your attitude is a MAJOR reason we need to change the current format. Telling a fan they should just shut up and take what they give you is a GREAT MARKETING TOOL. A dual meet can help wrestling SO much more if we could do something to make them matter more. You are entitled to a differing opinion but you turned this into a jr high argument that helps NOONE.

MSU, u made the decision to come on here and take a cheap shot at an accomplished coach and make accusations regarding a certain "hold out" practice (which u SAY u understand and yet u complain) all because ur a disgruntled fan who didnt get to see the matchup(s) u wanted at a dual meet. Boo-hoo. i can see why u would be upset in that instance but its not about YOU, or the fans for that matter. And u act like this is something that happens ALL time like its such a huge problem, please. They absolutely ARE wrestling for March, any decisions made prior are made with the goal of getting that wrestler/team in the best possible position to win at THAT time.

Sry u got butt hurt but the fact is u actual thought Ryan purposely sat Stieber for the Iowa/tOSU dual. That is what u insinuated by saying "pulling a Tom Ryan" and u know it. There hasnt been an instance this season or last season where a huge matchup didnt end up happening, and u didnt just pull a reference for back when Pucillo bumped up to justify the label, so that just shows me either u were just ignorant to the facts or ur just another homer.

MSU, u made the decision to come on here and take a cheap shot at an accomplished coach and make accusations regarding a certain "hold out" practice (which u SAY u understand and yet u complain) all because ur a disgruntled fan who didnt get to see the matchup(s) u wanted at a dual meet. Boo-hoo. i can see why u would be upset in that instance but its not about YOU, or the fans for that matter. And u act like this is something that happens ALL time like its such a huge problem, please. They absolutely ARE wrestling for March, any decisions made prior are made with the goal of getting that wrestler/team in the best possible position to win at THAT time.

Sry u got butt hurt but the fact is u actual thought Ryan purposely sat Stieber for the Iowa/tOSU dual. That is what u insinuated by saying "pulling a Tom Ryan" and u know it. There hasnt been an instance this season or last season where a huge matchup didnt end up happening, and u didnt just pull a reference for back when Pucillo bumped up to justify the label, so that just shows me either u were just ignorant to the facts or ur just another homer.

I can already tell any discussion with you is pointless. Because I understand something doesn't mean it's BEST for Wrestling. You miss the pt that without fans WRESTLING DIES. In addition, I disagree that what I said was a cheap shot. Ryan has been blasted for this act on here since 2009 when the Pucillo incident went down. I used a HIGH PROFILE name who was accused of something as an example to prove a pt. How is that different than everyone who attacks Bonds for using Steroids when he has NEVER been proven to have done so. I could be wrong and if so I apologize, HOWEVER, it DOES NOT change the point of my argument. Protecting seeds is BAD for the sport. With the advent of Social Media wrestling has a HUGE opportunity to Grow the sport and save it. DI is down to 77 teams. If everyone had your mindset how many teams do you think there would be 10 years from now?

How is that different than everyone who attacks Bonds for using Steroids when he has NEVER been proven to have done so. I could be wrong and if so I apologize, HOWEVER, it DOES NOT change the point of my argument.

Apology accepted.

Protecting seeds is BAD for the sport.

I agree.

Bradley is in tonight against the super tough Keldrick Hall.....

So as not to further upset the tOSU faithful I will rescind my " Pulling a Tom Ryan" comment to refer to keeping a wrestler out of a match to protect his seed and will now reference it as "Pulling a Brian Smith".

Guest Hammerlock3

Do you know why this happens? No one is ever there to call the head coach the "P" word at the critical moment.

This has nothing to do with Steiber, who is/was apparently legitimately injured. But If you're a fan of your Coach letting his best wrestlers run from the competition for fear of a possible loss, well, I don't think you can be helped, so I won't bother.

Bradley is in tonight against the super tough Keldrick Hall.....

So as not to further upset the tOSU faithful I will rescind my " Pulling a Tom Ryan" comment to refer to keeping a wrestler out of a match to protect his seed and will now reference it as "Pulling a Brian Smith".

You can always switch it up so it doesn't grow stale. (agree with you 100% BTW).

Guest Hammerlock3

as much as sanderson hates duals/wrestling, i'm surprised he hasn't been caught in the act yet