Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Cauliflower Ear Poll

It may be a badge of honor to the elite 1%, but it does look hideous and I don't see how you can truly deny that.  I was lucky to have small, closely cropped ears(along with a stringent head gear touting mother) but still have it to a mild/medium extent.  My 2 year old has already noticed it and will point at it or trace it and say "yuck".

You can't argue with a 2 year old!

I had a mild case in my right ear that I had surgically repaired in college. Can still see some scar tissue build up at the very top but it's not noticeable unless I point it out. Definitely a badge of honor type thing. 

Saw a picture of Ed Ruth on twitter yesterday and I didn't see any issues with his ears.  I think some of the newer generations are getting smarter about wearing it in practice. 

Wasn't there an article in which he said he was picked on by teammates because he would always wear headgear?

I don't know why anyone would want cauliflower... It is one thing to end up with it, but some people actually want to get it.

Personally, I think of it like a scar knee surgery.  Sure, it isn't a big deal if you're an athlete and have a scar on your knee from surgery after sustaining an injury, but who is going to actually want to have the scar?

Badge of stupidity.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A higher percentage of elite wrestlers are without cauliflower ear. It appears that the culture has changed and the "cool thing" is to be an elite wrestler with normal ears. I know a former Ohio State wrestler that after competing went into sales. He went to a plastic surgeon and had his ears operated on. Result was decent. He told me that in his line of work "appearance" was critical.

I also think it can be dependent on the person.  I never wore head gear from little, HS, college(except matches), and for many years of coaching.  My ears are not bad.  Both of my sons wore them at all time and both have bad ears?

Sorry but I do like them????

can we get some pics of the worst caulifllour around?  Here's a pic of varner.  His is bad, but he's got tiny ears so it doesnt make it as nasty as it can be... 

636067633072199015-XXX-WRESTLING--2016-U

Yes, a truly bonfide wrestling ear. I believe that this particular pic is B4 he got it drained of blood - and packed with colodium ? Thou not sure.

I wore headgear all throughout high school and still managed to get it because I had one of those "wear your headgear touting" mom's so sometimes it's just inevitable and then by college I got it even more and still even wore headgear to help get my head hot and start sweating faster. It's an awesome thing to see for people that never wrestled but to get it, SUCKS cause the pain literally would wake me up at night and throw of my focus at practice too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember Frank Molinaro, Andrew Howe having pretty severe cauliflower ear.

It's pretty amazing how many elite wrestlers have barely noticeable to no cauliflower ear, though... David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Logan Stieber, Nahson Garrett, Jesse Delgado, Quentin Wright, Zain, Mark Hall, NaT, Mark Hall, etc... Yes, I do notice these things!

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember Frank Molinaro, Andrew Howe having pretty severe cauliflower ear.

It's pretty amazing how many elite wrestlers have barely noticeable to no cauliflower ear, though... David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Logan Stieber, Nahson Garrett, Jesse Delgado, Quentin Wright, Zain, Mark Hall, NaT, Mark Hall, etc... Yes, I do notice these things!

I have noticed less cauliflower on wrestlers. Good trend for wrestling.