Sign in to follow this  
Creek chub

Iowa

Mizzou wasn't eligible, I don't believe, since they lost the MAC to UNI.  UNI would have been the team, but were "unable to participate for unforeseen reasons".  However, would Iowa have even wrestled them?  Iowa took UNI off their schedule a few years ago and hasn't wrestled them since.

I'm not embarrassed so much as frustrated.  It seems to me like Coach Brands is letting his personal grudges get in the way here.  I understand why he dislikes Va. Tech given what they did to the VT5 guys.  And although the AD involved is gone and deceased, Kevin Dresser was also involved with that.  But man, is it frustrating if that's really the reason, and it's the only reason I can think of.

What if the soldiers who hit the beach at Normandy said, "We ain't going there because the Germans won't give us a warm reception? Fact is Brands is teaching his kids a bad lesson.

It's in his right to not want a tough dual in late February.  If that's the case don't sign up for the event.  I think he signs up in case they're #1 or #2, because if he had the right to hoist a fake national championship I bet he'd suddenly be ok with a tough dual.  Mizzou on the other hand took it a step further and just quit the event after being a host all season.  

It is painfully clear that nobody cares about this event, first of all the coaches.  It needs to be cancelled before coaches figure out new embarrassing ways to duck and 'jockey' next season.

Mizzou wasn't eligible, I don't believe, since they lost the MAC to UNI.  UNI would have been the team, but were "unable to participate for unforeseen reasons".  However, would Iowa have even wrestled them?  Iowa took UNI off their schedule a few years ago and hasn't wrestled them since.

I'm not embarrassed so much as frustrated.  It seems to me like Coach Brands is letting his personal grudges get in the way here.  I understand why he dislikes Va. Tech given what they did to the VT5 guys.  And although the AD involved is gone and deceased, Kevin Dresser was also involved with that.  But man, is it frustrating if that's really the reason, and it's the only reason I can think of.

This isn't a personal grudge thing.  They are wrestling the worst opponent they can.  Do they also have personal grudges with all 5 schools not named VT, OSU, and Edinboro?

And Mizzou is eligible.  Cornell and Lehigh are both wrestling out of the EIWA.  There are wild cards for the non-Big 10s.

This isn't a personal grudge thing.  They are wrestling the worst opponent they can.  Do they also have personal grudges with all 5 schools not named VT, OSU, and Edinboro?

it is definitely a personal thing. They are refusing to wrestle the team they are supposed to, so they got put in the back of the line. When they pull this childish garbage they don't get to just go down the list and pick their opponent. 

And Mizzou is eligible.  Cornell and Lehigh are both wrestling out of the EIWA.  There are wild cards for the non-Big 10s.

Cornell is wrestling as the Ivy League representative, and Lehigh as the Patriot League representative, so the comparison is inapt.  Both leagues were separated out from the beginning for the purposes of the Dual series.

it is definitely a personal thing. They are refusing to wrestle the team they are supposed to, so they got put in the back of the line. When they pull this childish garbage they don't get to just go down the list and pick their opponent. 

They did last year.  

Just to be clear - neither Lehigh nor Cornell are using "wildcard" spots, it had been determined from the outset that the EIWA would be divided into an "Ivy Division" and a "Patriot Division".

Cornell is wrestling as the Ivy League representative, and Lehigh as the Patriot League representative, so the comparison is inapt.  Both leagues were separated out from the beginning for the purposes of the Dual series.

Thanks.  That makes sense and I appear to have been totally wrong.  Either way UNI declined so Mizzou would have been asked to represent the MAC.