Sign in to follow this  
Billyhoyle

Edit: Dresser takes the ISU job (unconfirmed)...

I would have to believe that Dresser, would never really consider leaving a program that he has spent years building into the success it now is. While he may listen to an offer from ISU, I think that for him to even seriously consider the ISU job it would really would have to be a very significant offer, with a lot of other assurances thrown in.

This thread does make me wonder about ISU's wrestling future, they lost the Golden one to Penn St., and basically the Nittany Lions have never looked back. So what happened? Did PSU just offer Cael a ton of money or was there more to it than that? Did Cael realize that Pennslyvania was just more fertile in terms of young wrestlers, was it something else, or a combination of things?

At this point, I have to believe that ISU must be in a full court press, scouting every coach out there, and even some that we aren't even on anybody's radar. So what does ISU do, do they try and lure another head coach away from their current job? Do they go with a long time assistant of another outstanding program? Do they take a chance on a young guy like a Jake Varner? Do they get someone that might be looking for a shot at redemption? It will be interesting to see. I think that if ISU wants to return to glory, the people that run and donate to that university will have to make it a priority, and they will have to be prepared to offer quite a bit.

Retired Poster, yeah I believe your right, but does Bono leave the Jack Rabbits, to start back at square one, especially when it seems like the JackRabbits are in a much better position than the Cyclones are. But I guess it is his alma mater so maybe, but I still think that ISU would really need to pony up in several areas to entice Bono away from his current assignment.

Retired Poster, yeah I believe your right, but does Bono leave the Jack Rabbits, to start back at square one, especially when it seems like the JackRabbits are in a much better position than the Cyclones are. But I guess it is his alma mater so maybe, but I still think that ISU would really need to pony up in several areas to entice Bono away from his current assignment.

ISU is a 10 fold better job than SDSU...I think it's the other way around.  I don't see why ISU would get rid of jackson to replace him with Bono.  Bono has had some ok results this year, but nothing spectacular.  I think ISU needs to go after either Pop, Dresser, or a "big name" assistant coach.  Otherwise, getting rid of Jackson was pointless.  

ISU is a 10 fold better job than SDSU...I think it's the other way around. I don't see why ISU would get rid of jackson to replace him with Bono. Bono has had some ok results this year, but nothing spectacular. I think ISU needs to go after either Pop, Dresser, or a "big name" assistant coach. Otherwise, getting rid of Jackson was pointless.

Do you forget that he's coaching at SDSU or? Not exactly a hotbed of talent there, and people aren't exactly blown away by coming to South Dakota..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

As the Fabulous Sports Babe used to say, the fish rots from the head...

http://www.cyclones.com/staff.aspx?staff=7

After all, according to the ISU AD's bio:

The Iowa State athletics brand is stronger than it has ever been.

During Pollard’s administration, ISU has registered its all-time best Directors’ Cup ranking (34th in 2010). 

Assembled, arguably, the strongest coaching staff in ISU history...you know, after losing a once-in-a-generation icon and coach.

3342662.jpg

Edited by Voice_of_the_Quakers

I would have to believe that Dresser, would never really consider leaving a program that he has spent years building into the success it now is. While he may listen to an offer from ISU, I think that for him to even seriously consider the ISU job it would really would have to be a very significant offer, with a lot of other assurances thrown in.

This thread does make me wonder about ISU's wrestling future, they lost the Golden one to Penn St., and basically the Nittany Lions have never looked back. So what happened? Did PSU just offer Cael a ton of money or was there more to it than that? Did Cael realize that Pennslyvania was just more fertile in terms of young wrestlers, was it something else, or a combination of things?

At this point, I have to believe that ISU must be in a full court press, scouting every coach out there, and even some that we aren't even on anybody's radar. So what does ISU do, do they try and lure another head coach away from their current job? Do they go with a long time assistant of another outstanding program? Do they take a chance on a young guy like a Jake Varner? Do they get someone that might be looking for a shot at redemption? It will be interesting to see. I think that if ISU wants to return to glory, the people that run and donate to that university will have to make it a priority, and they will have to be prepared to offer quite a bit.

I believe Cael & family took a look at the reality of lifestyle in both places for him and his brothers and picked the one that offered the greatest family security and educational opportunities moving forward. Iowa doesn't begin to compare to Pennsylvania in many ways.

I believe Cael & family took a look at the reality of lifestyle in both places for him and his brothers and picked the one that offered the greatest family security and educational opportunities moving forward. Iowa doesn't begin to compare to Pennsylvania in many ways.

* Iowa is more "square".  PA is more "rectangular"

* Iowa is flat.  PA has mini-mountains!

* Iowa has Slipknot.  PA has Philly.

I don't think it's an upgrade at all. In 10 years, he went from an 80th place program to a consistent top 10 program.

Can he then take a top 20 program to top 3 ? Top 5?

I would like a dresser hire. Offer a 7 year contract (just like tenure track professors are originally given) ---- & say $200k-250k annual salary. Else like others have said, why fire KJ (and lose 2 top classes).

Dresser would be a big hire. So it won't happen.

Debbie D

Blah blah blah

I think if Kevin is considering Iowa State, I think it is because of moving closer to his family.

If he has wanted to get back to Iowa, the Iowa State job is the best opportunity for that to happen.

I love the idea of Dresser going to ISU, who if anyone follows him if he get's the job. I'd really like to see Pat Pop head to ISU but to hear him talk about NC state and their commitment to the wrestling program is hard to leave. I'd also like to see Roger Kish get a big time job go from one Michigan native to another, he's done a great job at NDSU. 

Is he in the running for the cyclone job, or is your question hypothetical?

I would imagine it would be hard to resist coaching such a monumental talent as PD3.  I mean, if he could get the kid to wrestle next season. then PD3 may have a shot to not just hypothetically destroy everyone of note.  Even just one year of coaching PD3 may be worth the risk of leaving a better program. 

I would imagine it would be hard to resist coaching such a monumental talent as PD3. I mean, if he could get the kid to wrestle next season. then PD3 may have a shot to not just hypothetically destroy everyone of note. Even just one year of coaching PD3 may be worth the risk of leaving a better program.

Who is pd3?

The guy who decked Haught twice last year at ncaas

Oh that guy. If I remember right, he has some off the mat issues. I'm not sure he alone is reason enough for dresser to leave VT. Rumor is Iowa state offered dresser double his current salary t take the job.

Oh that guy. If I remember right, he has some off the mat issues. I'm not sure he alone is reason enough for dresser to leave VT. Rumor is Iowa state offered dresser double his current salary t take the job.

Creek chub, I believe the PD3 as an incentive for Kevin to move to ISU was all in good fun. PD3 has a certain rep (well earned on social media apparently) as being a legend in his own mind. How could Kevin possibly resist the opportunity to coach someone that great?!?!?