skikayaker

FLO - Liberal approach to Capitalism

Funny how there are so few discussions re: FLO controlling exclusive broadcast rights of the anticipated NWCA PSU vs OSU championship dual. They're using that leverage to turn wrestling into a PPV sport. Compare their $30 access fee to BTN, CBS College Sports, ESPN3 and other university free options, and it becomes clear that FLO has forgotten their original promise from when they were more of a grassroots non-profit (hence the .org extension on their original domain name). Increasing barriers to entry is a Liberal idea that limits growth of our sport and their client base, and ultimately limits revenue in the long term. They just don't see it yet.

Edited by skikayaker

Funny how there are so few discussions re: FLO controlling exclusive broadcast rights of the anticipated NWCA PSU vs OSU championship dual. They're using that leverage to turn wrestling into a PPV sport. Compare their $30 access fee to BTN, CBS College Sports, ESPN3 and other university free options, and it becomes clear that FLO has forgotten their original promise from when they were more of a grassroots non-profit (hence the .org extension on their original domain name). Increasing barriers to entry is a Liberal idea that limits growth of our sport and their client base, and ultimately limits revenue in the long term. They just don't see it yet.

The more people willing to pay money to broadcast wrestling, the more universities will invest into their wrestling teams. Also, Flo does a great job hyping the events they cover by creating commercials, which they run through Facebook sponsored ads.   One thing I would like to see them do, which they used to do, is post matches after a certain time has passed so younger wrestlers have the opportunity to watch them and learn from the technique. Demanding that they broadcast a live event for free is ridiculous though.   

BTN isn't free, most of their product is thru the BTN+ monthly pay app. They originally sold it as "free" so many of us subscribed to a plan that had it then they did the bait & switch and moved most of the wrestling to the Plus (it's why I pay for Flo & not +). Likewise ESPN3 isn't "free" you pay for it thru your Dish, Direct, etc subscription.

If not liking the price just go to the dual meet, tickets are only $10, got mine. :)

I have the same complaint about many companies that won't gimme a freebie.

Un-American not to give me freebies

When did capitalism == liberalism?  Is this another thing in the post-factual world we now inhabit?

Is liberalism why NBC controls broadcasting rights to the Olympics?  Is liberalism why Fox controls broadcasting rights to the Super Bowl?

Flo is a business.  I think that is what *you* have forgotten.

You might want to learn the definition of liberal (instead of just assuming a negative context based on your personal political views).....but, regardless, I think it would be hard to argue that any media outlets have done MORE for wrestling than Flo.  I am a huge fan and support and applaud their efforts.  Companies need to make money and they have earned (quite literally) the rights to produce this event how they see best. That's what business do, use the leverage to make money and expand their products/markets. Monetizing wrestling events is GOOD for our sport, not bad.  What do you suggest? That it be forced to be free to all...and therefore no media outlets can afford to broadcast (ie. limiting / regulating business....)? Not like this was going to be prime time ESPN showing.

liberal: favorable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms 

Edited by MrWonderful

The overall problem is that most companies, and most sports orgs are in it for the short term... and the short term cash grab, because it's the short term cash infusion that they need to pay off their investors, who honestly, do not give a damn for the sport, only the $$$.  Paywalling a sport of our fanbase size does nothing to promote the growth of our sport, but instead, enables a few hundred (maybe) hardcore's to drop a few bucks to see something they may not have gotten to see originally.  Instead, monetize the sport differently.  Whats stopping a full press on sponsorships?  What's stopping a full press on merchandising opportunities, true ticket sales efforts?

When I went to the Schultz tourney a few weeks ago, tickets were only walk-up, and there was no signage directing me where to go (as a newbie to the venue/event, I was lost).  When I got there, there was a merchandise table, and quite frankly, it was in a cubbyhole of a room.  There was no food and beverage for the fans at all.  IF WE WANT OUR SPORT TO GROW... we need to cater to fans... and yes... fans do EAT, and DRINK (sorry guys, but when I wrestled, my parents pigged out while I was cutting... it's part of it...).  

There are so many other ways to enhance our sport, broaden our reach, while keeping our hardcore's happy, and the casual/prospective fan tuned in.

I find Track to be way worse they make you pay per event which is crazy that they dont offer a subscription service.Flo pay a yearly fee and you get whatever you want.BTNplus is worth the $14.95 month from mid december until the big 10s you get to see lots of good duals 

When did capitalism == liberalism?  Is this another thing in the post-factual world we now inhabit?

Is liberalism why NBC controls broadcasting rights to the Olympics?  Is liberalism why Fox controls broadcasting rights to the Super Bowl?

Flo is a business.  I think that is what *you* have forgotten.

No need to get angry. I did not overlook the fact that pricing is part of capitalism. Liberals are also part of democracy. Walmart chooses lower pricing, profit margins per unit to achieve market leadership while their competitors choose higher prices, less volume, less buying power, and less annual revenue. Some Governments choose lower taxes to stimulate economic growth, GDP, job creation that results in higher annual revenues, and less social spending. #prosperity.  I get it that FLO started as a .ORG non-profit and has evolved into a pay to play website with the majority of their content reserved for subscribers who pay them money.  It's a good business. However, charging $30 to watch a single event is almost on par with a Floyd Mayweather fight, or a UFC event. Who are they kidding? It's college wrestling, and in this case, the outcome is more than certain. PSU will crush OSU. It's also interesting that the NWCA would allow this type of exclusive access to be granted.  Certainly many of you are aware of the divide in our sport between those who promote the Dual Championship over the NCAA team championship, and the politics involved with this mess.  One can look at the fact that Iowa is not wrestling VA Tech, and observe the matchups orchestrated by those in charge to get a sense that something is not right.  Finally, why in the world is OSU ranked #1?  Just a few thoughts.

However, charging $30 to watch a single event is almost on par with a Floyd Mayweather fight, or a UFC event. Who are they kidding? It's college wrestling, and in this case, the outcome is more than certain. PSU will crush OSU.

If $30 is too outrageous then just attend the dual meet, tickets are only $10. If it's known that PSU is going to crush them then don't watch, it obviously won't be interesting.

No need to get angry. I did not overlook the fact that pricing is part of capitalism. Liberals are also part of democracy. Walmart chooses lower pricing, profit margins per unit to achieve market leadership while their competitors choose higher prices, less volume, less buying power, and less annual revenue. Some Governments choose lower taxes to stimulate economic growth, GDP, job creation that results in higher annual revenues, and less social spending. #prosperity. I get it that FLO started as a .ORG non-profit and has evolved into a pay to play website with the majority of their content reserved for subscribers who pay them money. It's a good business. However, charging $30 to watch a single event is almost on par with a Floyd Mayweather fight, or a UFC event. Who are they kidding? It's college wrestling, and in this case, the outcome is more than certain. PSU will crush OSU. It's also interesting that the NWCA would allow this type of exclusive access to be granted. Certainly many of you are aware of the divide in our sport between those who promote the Dual Championship over the NCAA team championship, and the politics involved with this mess. One can look at the fact that Iowa is not wrestling VA Tech, and observe the matchups orchestrated by those in charge to get a sense that something is not right. Finally, why in the world is OSU ranked #1? Just a few thoughts.

Where are you getting the $30 PPV info? Up at $150 a year ($12 a month in average) and have access to all of their content. Seems pretty reasonable.

It's also interesting that the NWCA would allow this type of exclusive access to be granted.

Every sporting event that is broadcast online or on television has granted exclusive rights to an entity to do so. This is true almost without exception. It is not clear what you're getting at. CBS is the only company that can show March Madness. NBC has the Olympics. Monday Night Football is only on ESPN. These companies have paid dearly for this right in the same way that Flo has paid for the right to show Oklahoma State home matches.

If you want to complain about the price of Flo, then do it. Don't make it some (wildly inaccurate) rant about liberalism.

Capturing a market and attempting to create a monopoly is a liberal idea?  Good grief...

Capturing a market and attempting to create a monopoly is NOT a liberal idea. We see this sort of thing done in the Pharmaceutical market all the time. None of us like it when it happens. I'm grateful that FLO will never get the rights to exclusive access to the NCAA Championships :) I find it interesting that the NWCA would allow their event to become a PPV revenue grab. Cael had been complaining about the inequity of the NWCA Championships for years.  I'd like to see a successful NWCA Championship that does not exclude the average fan or people who may be interested in checking out a great dual meet but decide not to because of the $30 barrier.  I understand the $150/year is a good deal, but most American households are not interested in purchasing a wrestling subscription, and will bulk at the one-time $30 ppv expense.  I've asked friends from the gym and colleagues to check out a particular wrestling event such as the PSU / OSU matchup, and they usually will check it out, except when they're asked to pay $30. We're losing potential fans. And of course, there is always a threshold when it comes to pricing. We'll see what happens.

Every sporting event that is broadcast online or on television has granted exclusive rights to an entity to do so. This is true almost without exception. It is not clear what you're getting at. CBS is the only company that can show March Madness. NBC has the Olympics. Monday Night Football is only on ESPN. These companies have paid dearly for this right in the same way that Flo has paid for the right to show Oklahoma State home matches.

If you want to complain about the price of Flo, then do it. Don't make it some (wildly inaccurate) rant about liberalism.

Doesn't ESPN, CBS, and NBC come with just about every basic cable plan? The business model referenced here is quite different.

Edited by skikayaker