Sign in to follow this  
MisterHand

Streaming Rights for UWW Events

UWW article

Trackwrestling article

It seems like UWW had gone to a partnership with Flo last year when they began streaming (was it Pan Ams?) though them. Now it looks like they've cast their lot with Trackwrestling.  I would have to guess that Flo would have been involved in a bidding process for these streaming rights, and am a bit surprised to see Trackwrestling come out on top.  

Though I've had a paid subscription to Flo since the get go (and will continue to), I've never watched any live or archived matches through Trackwrestling.  What are others' experiences with it? The Trackwrestling website, to me, has always felt clunky and a decade behind, though I see they are making efforts to improve usability (though they still have long way to go).

I'm not sure how to interpret this news.  Do I need to buy a subscription to watch the World Cup tonight?  I kind of read it that way.

(Also, subtopic...how much, if at all, do you think Flowrestling's criticisms of UWW governance, and lack of official response in the face of allegations of corruption, have played into what appears to be a gravitation away from streaming through Flo, to Trackwrestling?)

Edited by MisterHand

UWW article

Trackwrestling article

It seems like UWW had gone to a partnership with Flo last year when they began streaming (was it Pan Ams?) though them. Now it looks like they've cast their lot with Trackwrestling. I would have to guess that Flo would have been involved in a bidding process for these streaming rights, and am a bit surprised to see Trackwrestling come out on top.

Though I've had a paid subscription to Flo since the get go (and will continue to), I've never watched any live or archived matches through Trackwrestling. What are others' experiences with it? The Trackwrestling website, to me, has always felt clunky and a decade behind, though I see they are making efforts to improve usability (though they still have long way to go).

I'm not sure how to interpret this news. Do I need to buy a subscription to watch the World Cup tonight? I kind of read it that way.

(Also, subtopic...how much, if at all, do you think Flowrestling's criticisms of UWW governance, and lack of official response in the face of allegations of corruption, have played into what appears to be a gravitation away from streaming through Flo, to Trackwrestling?)

I know Flo had a big investor recently, but don't think they can hang with NBC sports/sports engine(track wrestling) kind of money.

Immel's article for USA Wrestling says, "Those wishing to watch the Freestyle World Cup live can do so at unitedworldwrestling.org both days of competition. Kermanshah, Iran is situated eight hours and thirty minutes ahead of U.S. Eastern Time translating to start times of 12:30 a.m. (ET) on both Thursday and Friday."

No mention of a subscription fee for World Cup.

If for some odd reason any UWW events are behind a paywall you might be able to use a VPN to spoof the geolocation of your IP address and then view the live stream on the UWW website. When Flo was broadcasting UWW events last year they had the rights to the US and Canada. If you tried to view the stream on the UWW site for say the 2016 World Cup from an IP address that was geolocated in the US then you would not get access to the page, but instead would get redirected to Flowrestling. The same might apply to the events that Trackwrestling will get the broadcast rights to. Now, if everything stays the same within the UWW website you can bypass the paywall by spoofing your geolocation. Chrome has some pretty good VPN extensions that you can get for free from the Chrome store. This google search query might be useful.

UWW article

Trackwrestling article

It seems like UWW had gone to a partnership with Flo last year when they began streaming (was it Pan Ams?) though them. Now it looks like they've cast their lot with Trackwrestling.  I would have to guess that Flo would have been involved in a bidding process for these streaming rights, and am a bit surprised to see Trackwrestling come out on top.  

Though I've had a paid subscription to Flo since the get go (and will continue to), I've never watched any live or archived matches through Trackwrestling.  What are others' experiences with it? The Trackwrestling website, to me, has always felt clunky and a decade behind, though I see they are making efforts to improve usability (though they still have long way to go).

I'm not sure how to interpret this news.  Do I need to buy a subscription to watch the World Cup tonight?  I kind of read it that way.

I think there's some confusion with what Track is. They don't use any on-air talent or do any broadcasts. They offer connections to streams that are provided by event organizers where a fee can be negotiated between Track and the organizers as to how the subscription revenue for that event will be distributed.

Track is primarily an event "tracking" site. Although Flo far outstrips anything Track is doing with video, live coverage, articles, rankings, etc--Track's "tracking" interface with so many ways to look at results, so much easier brackets to look at, and so much smoother "dashboard" to toggle back and forth to are all way better than Flo if you're just live-tracking results or reading results later. It takes years to glean all the data from a Flo event that you can do very quickly on Track.

With that said, if the event organizers are providing good coverage, I find no significant difference in my ability to enjoy a broadcast between the 2 sites. The difference is just that Flo broadcasts usually have Flo talent that you can be confident will be strong. With Track, it's could be a high school kid and his farmer dad commentating the conso's on mat 14.

Edited by maligned

UWW article

Trackwrestling article

I too was wondering if there would be a backlash from UWW from Flo's criticism of them last year.  When you challenge the authority figures, when you bite the hand that feed you, sometimes you end up left out in the cold.  Number crunching trying to reveal corruption, corruption that we all new was there without having to spit in the face of UWW, might have gotten them in hot water with UWW.  It was the IOC and subsequently NBC Sports, not UWW, that disallowed them from streaming the Olympics last year.

neutralposition,

I disagree with "the hand that feeds you" bit.  UWW has never been a hand that fed Flo.  The subscriber base is the hand that feeds Flo.  

I'm also curious about what, specifically, you feel constituted spitting in the face of UWW, given your acknowledgment of "corruption that we all new (sic) was there" as you say.  Shedding light on it?  Giving it context?  Demanding a response?  

neutralposition,

I disagree with "the hand that feeds you" bit.  UWW has never been a hand that fed Flo.  The subscriber base is the hand that feeds Flo.  

I'm also curious about what, specifically, you feel constituted spitting in the face of UWW, given your acknowledgment of "corruption that we all new (sic) was there" as you say.  Shedding light on it?  Giving it context?  Demanding a response?  

It's fitting, given your handle, that you would respond to the "hand that feeds you" part of the post.  

So is there any way I can watch this without a subscription to TrackCast? 

No subscription is needed. The live matches are free (I think the arcihves are too, because I'm watching JB bs. Azer. right now... just click Video in the menu). USA vs. Iran is at 8:30 am (ET)

Edited by wnywrestling