Smedley

I just joined the Dake might possibly be our guy at 74kg club

Please don't mistake this comment as a full fledged endorsement for cry baby Dake.

JB's performance thus far at the World Cup is a great blueprint for Dake to utilize in his quest to be the guy at 74kg at the US Open and WTT. He might also want to consider some light singlet grabbing and head slaps to frustrate Burroughs. The matches should be interesting.

Edited by Smedley

It's not even clear if JB wants to continue competing. Wasn't he using the Workd Cup trip as an opportunity to test the waters and assess his next steps? I mean, he won his matches and seemed to enjoy the fan support but did he he enjoy the wrestling? I wonder where his confidence is at.

It's not even clear if JB wants to continue competing. Wasn't he using the Workd Cup trip as an opportunity to test the waters and assess his next steps? I mean, he won his matches and seemed to enjoy the fan support but did he he enjoy the wrestling? I wonder where his confidence is at.

What else would he do though? Just coach?  Fight?  That would be money, but why do it now, when he may have lost some explosion?  I still think he can win a world title, but it clearly got much harder. 

Another related note:  what is Tsargush doing.  He beat Taylor pretty badly and beat Burroughs and such; I wonder how far off his old skills he is, if at all?  He is one that we love to hate and is a really good wrestler. 

Pretty sure tsargush is retired, his Instagram looks like he's been vacationing and relaxing, well deserved but I would love to see him get out there again. I think he would win medals, not sure about gold but Russia seems pretty open. Tsabolov is his friend maybe he's hoping tsabolov will be the guy but he seems unreliable.

Unexpectedly humble... a far cry from "All I see is gold."

Not a good sign.

I love that he realizes wrestling isn't just about Gold.  He needs to wrestle and will make the USA and our wrestling better for it. And he will be better for it.  Winning the whole thing may never happen....but if and when it does, perhaps it will feel better than ever before.  I just like that he is still gonna wrestle. And humility is usually a good trait even in champions.  

Edited by Fishhook

I am not saying humility is a bad trait. Wrestling is an intensely mental sport. Mindset is as much of a factor as any other in high level wrestling. That JB has already relegated himself to the possibility that he is well past his peak is a clear sign that his mindset is not what it was when all he could see was winning, and doing so for such a long time as to unseat John Smith as the GOAT. Stark contrast. That's all I'm saying.

JB is always a 10 out of 10 as a human being in my book. Age will not take that away.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Unexpectedly humble... a far cry from "All I see is gold."

Not a good sign.

I do realize the American mantra is anything less than all out intensity will not work. But I like this attitude. Wrestling because he likes it might work well for him. Sanderson didn't seem to like freestyle (duh) but he found peace with it at the end and won a gold and looked content that last year. And you could hardly say he collegiate style was head banging intnse. Neither is his coaching style. He will still be intense but sometimes over doing it can take the fun out and add pressure which has you no longer enjoying wrestling. 

I do realize the American mantra is anything less than all out intensity will not work. But I like this attitude. Wrestling because he likes it might work well for him. Sanderson didn't seem to like freestyle (duh) but he found peace with it at the end and won a gold and looked content that last year. And you could hardly say he collegiate style was head banging intnse. Neither is his coaching style. He will still be intense but sometimes over doing it can take the fun out and add pressure which has you no longer enjoying wrestling. 

I think what Cael Sanderson did not like about Freestyle was the inconsistent and biased officiating more than anything else. I think he loved the wrestling but found the political infighting and refereeing quality intolerable.

Jordan Burroughs is still excellent but has lost a step. A step sorely needed if he is to fend off Kyle Dake. A step that will push him into retirement with Dake taking over his spot. Maybe he can put it together one more time but I doubt it. If he keeps wrestling because he enjoys it he will be a test for anyone in his weight class and right near the top for some time to come even if he is no longer our #1 guy. No matter what, he is a class act all the way and deserves every positive thing that comes to him.

I love that he realizes wrestling isn't just about Gold.  He needs to wrestle and will make the USA and our wrestling better for it. And he will be better for it.  Winning the whole thing may never happen....but if and when it does, perhaps it will feel better than ever before.  I just like that he is still gonna wrestle. And humility is usually a good trait even in champions.  

I think it's great in any sport when a guy who is a star can learn to be a little less than that when age takes something away.  Not everyone can adjust to being less than they once were.

Don't forget that JB was one of only two Americans to go 4-0 this week so a step slower or not he is still one of our best. The thing that struck me the most about JB this week is that he seemed to be constantly complaining to the ref. Justified or not, it just didn't look good and something that I don't recall seeing him do in the past. I can't imagine he was any more frustrated than the other 7 guys who just kept on wrestling.

That has nothing to do with what I said. Having a winning mindset and "all out" intensity are not the same. You can have one without the other. It's hard to win consistently without the right mindset however.

That has nothing to do with what I said. Having a winning mindset and "all out" intensity are not the same. You can have one without the other. It's hard to win consistently without the right mindset however.

I think my point was this may be the right mindset for JB at this point in his career.

That is a valid point. A more relaxed outlook could take the pressure off and yield more medals. We'll have to wait and see.

I am of the opinion that someone who has relied on exceptional physical advantages to separate himself will find it much harder to adjust to older age than someone who had a more technique-based edge. I hope I'm wrong but can't wait to find out.

That is a valid point. A more relaxed outlook could take the pressure off and yield more medals. We'll have to wait and see.

I am of the opinion that someone who has relied on exceptional physical advantages to separate himself will find it much harder to adjust to older age than someone who had a more technique-based edge. I hope I'm wrong but can't wait to find out.

This seems right to me also.  Jordan Burroughs is unlikely to ever have the technical proclivity of Dave Schultz, but he very well may surprise himself with the amount of veteran savvy he has gained through attrition of >100 international matches