Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Dresser Headed to Iowa State: ISU Student Paper

You make a good point but that could just mean he hasn't actually signed anything and is still taking the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt, I hope Tech makes a strong counter offer, but I don't think they're ready to take that step up to this level of wrestling.  Dresser had a lot of real estate ties in the area when he was coaching Christiansburg, if he still does I wonder if that would keep him in VA...

No doubt, I hope Tech makes a strong counter offer, but I don't think they're ready to take that step up to this level of wrestling. Dresser had a lot of real estate ties in the area when he was coaching Christiansburg, if he still does I wonder if that would keep him in VA...

That is also a reason why this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dresser had a lot of real estate ties in the area when he was coaching Christiansburg, if he still does I wonder if that would keep him in VA...

As in owning property?

FWIW, Cael, Cody, Cunningham and Varner own over a dozen properties combined in Ames.

Edited by ISUChip

I can't see Dresser actually making this move. The quality of life in Blacksburg vs Ames, Iowa has to be significantly better. VT built him a brand new wrestling facility several years back. He has a great thing going with his wrestling camps. He is driving distance to Pa, Ohio and NJ wrestlers. Iowa State will always be second fiddle to Iowa. He has been in Virginia for nearly 30 years, so any desire to "move back home" is probably long gone.

I assume this is a negotiating ploy.

Maybe Virginia Tech will match (or better) that offer.  If Tech alum and big donor Red Robinson is still around, he could conceivably get involved.  As I understand it, he was responsible for bringing Dresser to Virginia back when he first left Iowa for Grundy.

This could be just a smart negotiating move by Dresser. OTOH, he strikes me as a guy who likes to take on a challenge and is obviously a program builder.  Plus I always thought that he left Grundy to immediately take the helm at Christiansburg.  However, I just recently read that he went back to Iowa for six months between the time he headed those two HS programs.

So, while I initially thought he'd stay in Blacksburg, I can now see him wanting to return to his home state with the aim of surpassing Brands as a head coach.  And, as wrestlingnerd pointed out, $335,00 a year for 7 years is a great package.  It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

Folks, regardless of how highly anyone thinks of the new VT under Dresser, the ISU job is better.  There is no blue chip recruit in the country that ISU can't get a home visit.  The tradition, championships, Olympic medals, etc. still carry a lot of weight.  VT simply doesn't have that draw.

Add in more $$$, going back home and settling the score with Brands, I think its a no brainer.

Question is, who does VT try to get now?

Folks, regardless of how highly anyone thinks of the new VT under Dresser, the ISU job is better.  There is no blue chip recruit in the country that ISU can't get a home visit.  The tradition, championships, Olympic medals, etc. still carry a lot of weight.  VT simply doesn't have that draw.

Add in more $$$, going back home and settling the score with Brands, I think its a no brainer.

How about Branch, Kish, Bono, or one of the many qualified assistants out there? 

Does Robie step in to lead the Hokies? His three boys are kind of in that range where transferring is a tough decision.