TBar1977

Kasper win streak ends at 20

Sure there's a physicality to it, but it's a common athletic expression. Have people never heard this from coaches? If you actually take this to mean a literal punch, especially a "sucker punch", then you clearly don't know the phrase or lack comprehension skills.

Kasper used a platform to cut a promo and it clearly worked

Every time I hear it in an athletic context it's referring to testing out the opponents toughness or competitive wherewithal by being very physical with them. I mostly hear it used in football where a defenseman talks about hitting a quarterback in his mouth to see how he will react and play after said hit lands. In short, "hitting/punching in the mouth" is used as a test of sorts when the intended recipient's toughness is in question.

Zero chance Solomon gets the one seed 

yeah I think I convinced myself of that as I typed my post, and he's 3 then yeah Kasper as 1 makes sense to me.

wasn't there a similar situation at ACC 174 recently and seeding ended up being fairly controversial? (Epperly, Ramos? and guy from Pitt?) 

Thin skinned. Sorry you failed at making a simple joke because you added the word "sucker" into your comment. Clearly after the loss the quote was going to get brought up, but you failed to actually take what he said and use it in a constructive way. I'm sure he's very afraid of having to wrestle Snyder, though he worked most of this forum and got a large thread started based on a single comment, meaning the line served it's purpose.

And nice job essentially acting like we need to fist fight because of an internet forum. You must feel so tough! I'm shaking in my metaphorical boots here at the thought of you tbert

Lol.. served his purpose..Making you both appear like idiots.

Fist fight??? Dude you need a shrink

Every time I hear it in an athletic context it's referring to testing out the opponents toughness or competitive wherewithal by being very physical with them. I mostly hear it used in football where a defenseman talks about hitting a quarterback in his mouth to see how he will react and play after said hit lands. In short, "hitting/punching in the mouth" is used as a test of sorts when the intended recipient's toughness is in question.

I believe it came from Mike Tyson saying Every one has a plan until you get punched in the mouth. That first time I heard it.

Lol.. served his purpose..Making you both appear like idiots.

Fist fight??? Dude you need a shrink

You said he'd need to back his mouth up, unlike myself. Does that not carry the connotation of a physical conflict? You can believe that I'm stupid, and I'm surely coming off as a jerk, but you're the only one coming off as a simpleton here. You literally had an easy joke to make, yet had to add "sucker" to it to make it seem like Kasper literally was going to cheap shot someone as a coward. You're essentially like a WWE fan that gets too easily worked by promos. 

This just started because you mischaracterized a young man's quote trying to make a simple joke, which again was incredibly easy to make, and you still botched it. 

Maybe it all depends on how its said.  The classic example being from "The Virginian":

"Your bet, you son-of-a _______"

"When you call me that, smile."

How something is said is also relevant, I agree. How did you take Kasper's remarks?

It's not that there wasn't humor to be had, it's that your joke was just bad. All you had to say was "well I thought he was going to punch Snyder in the mouth." Sucker punching carries a completely different connotation and meaning than that of the actual quote.

Dude ..

I am SORRY! It was a light-hearted attempt to piss off everyone who stuck up for him in a prior post and it went too far. Obviously you did not see sarcasm in it.

If he actually punched him or sucker punched him in the mouth he would be disqualified anyway....Right?? .. come on man..chill

I'm not knocking you for making a joke, I'm knocking you for making a bad joke. Again, there's a large difference between a punch and a sucker punch. It had to be expected a joke would be made, but if you don't understand how they carry different connotations, then I can't help you. Also, I'm not seething here, just trying to explain why I criticized it.

I'm not knocking you for making a joke, I'm knocking you for making a bad joke. Again, there's a large difference between a punch and a sucker punch. It had to be expected a joke would be made, but if you don't understand how they carry different connotations, then I can't help you. Also, I'm not seething here, just trying to explain why I criticized it.

To me, a punch in the mouth and a sucker punch are one and the same. To you not.. I get it.

Next time some tells me they are going to punch me in the mouth, I will be aware that they won't be sucker punching me as they have already announced it. (Humor attempt again)

They're fundamentally different definitions but we've gotten into a Sam Harris/Jordan Peterson type debate on a much simpler concept to grasp.

It also still seems like you took the quote literally when he was a figure of speech

How something is said is also relevant, I agree. How did you take Kasper's remarks?

I think the phrase originated much like you said (i.e., connected to an opponent's perceived lack of toughness).  But now I think it's often used just to indicate that you're unafraid and are going to take the fight to your opponent.  Based on reading the article, I'd assume that's where Kasper was coming from. (Of course, we'd have much better context to decide if we'd have been there to hear his tone and see his body language.)

Said punch him in the mouth, meaning go out there not afraid of him, but please, mischaracterize a quote from a promo

Sure. Because every time anyone ever uses the term "punch him in the mouth" - they just mean "I'm gonna go out and try my best and not be ascared....". Please...... talk about mischaracterizing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk