Sign in to follow this  
nom

Anyone notice DT props to Ramos?

During the Iowa / Penn State dual, the interview with David Taylor - he calls Ramos a stud and says it in a way that implied real sincerity. Was part of explaining the big lead Iowa had.

I was surprised to hear this in the middle of the dual but at the same time recognized that Taylor is a class act and doesn't mind giving credit to someone.

During the Iowa / Penn State dual, the interview with David Taylor - he calls Ramos a stud and says it in a way that implied real sincerity. Was part of explaining the big lead Iowa had.

I was surprised to hear this in the middle of the dual but at the same time recognized that Taylor is a class act and doesn't mind giving credit to someone.

I seems to me, that often times we forget theses are pretty much young guys, just layin' it out on the line, and probably don't have all the angst and rivalry hatred that we see on these message boards. I doesn't surprise me a bit, that DT would give props to a rival wrestler in the midst of the storm.

I do remember hearing this and thought it showed good sportsmanship.

I suspect it was also a shout-out to his teammate, Conaway, to say, hey, don't get too down on yourself, you ran into a buzzsaw in Ramos.

I think Steiber will dominate Ramos, maybe not a big point spread but will win by 4 to 6 while controlling the match. That statement may jinx Steiber though as I have been out of touch with reality and predicting wrong lately! I am interested to see if Ramos will maintain his composure after he gets beat or will he throw a fit ?

I think Steiber will dominate Ramos, maybe not a big point spread but will win by 4 to 6 while controlling the match. That statement may jinx Steiber though as I have been out of touch with reality and predicting wrong lately! I am interested to see if Ramos will maintain his composure after he gets beat or will he throw a fit ?

According to whichever of the Iowa guys (forget which one) defending DSJ, winning by 4 or 6 points is completely pulverizing your opponent to a pulp, killing them, rendering them unable to compete, dominating them in a fashion only saved for the Gods, beating them senseless, etc. (He posted it about 15 times, so, there are many ways to describe it.)

Perhaps, but I just dont see either dominating in this match. If Ramos controls his emotions he can hang with Logan any day and wouldnt surprise me to see them split matches.

Exactly how short of a memory do you guys have?

Graf is back this year after an Olympic redshirt year and Ramos has never beaten him (Graf won their only previous meeting in the Big Ten semi-finals two years ago). Heck, Ramos may not even make the finals in the Big Ten this year.

Talk about counting your chickens before they hatch. Geezzzz.

Graf is back this year after an Olympic redshirt year and Ramos has never beaten him (Graf won their only previous meeting in the Big Ten semi-finals two years ago). Heck, Ramos may not even make the finals in the Big Ten this year.

After Graff's performance against Penn State I doubt they will even meet. Graff will probably be the four seed behind Steiber Ramos and Conaway. Depending on how they handle Steiber/Ramos seeds since Steiber sat out their dual, Ramos could get the 2 and Graff would most likely lose to Steiber and get put on the backside.

2 years ago makes a BIG difference.

Jordan Conoway d. Tyler Graf 10-8 SV 1/18

Tony Ramos pin Jordan Conoway 4:23 2/1

2 years ago makes a BIG difference.

Jordan Conoway d. Tyler Graf 10-8 SV 1/18

Tony Ramos pin Jordan Conoway 4:23 2/1

Two years does indeed make a big difference; too bad Graff was wasting it out at the Olympic Training center going against the best in the nation at the senior level. I am sure he has regressed tremendously while others, e.g. Ramos, have just zoomed by him :roll: .

Certainly, Graff's loss to Conaway gives one pause, but Graff is a two time AA and ranks high on the senior freestyle ladder. If you want to take Conaway's victory as some sort of evidence that it would happen with some sort of regularity (or even ever again) then sobeit; it was a good win for Conaway. But I would caution against assuming Graff is somehow now washed up after one upset loss...especially after playing around with all those *****'s at the OTC for the past year and a half.

Not counting Graff out.....just from what i've seen THIS year so far....I would put the likelihood of a Ramos-Stieber final above that of a final including Graff.

A Graff victory over Ramos would help PSU's cause in the team race.......I just am not holding my breath. Ramos appears to be way ahead of Graff THIS year.

I gotta think the seeds will go Stieber, Ramos then Graff.....so they should meet in semis.....we'll see.

And Ramos - coming off an AA at this same weight - going with McDonough in practice probably everyday under the tutelage of the Brands' brothers means he hit his peak 2 years ago, too. :roll:

The good thing is, they will answer it themselves.

Not surprised to hear nice remarks from DT. He IS a class act, and a real positive influence on our sport.

As for some of the fans, I guess the cheap shots will never stop.

That was great for Graff at the OTC wrestling freestyle.

And Ramos ...he hit his peak 2 years ago, too. :roll:

Hey, I'm not the one on here putting a fork into any former multiple AA. All I'm saying is that people are burying Graff far too soon (because of one unexpected loss).

And yes, they will settle it on the mat in a loaded weight class at the Big Ten. It will be great for the fans.

That was great for Graff at the OTC wrestling freestyle.

And Ramos ...he hit his peak 2 years ago, too. :roll:

Hey, I'm not the one on here putting a fork into any former multiple AA. All I'm saying is that people are burying Graff far too soon (because of one unexpected loss).

And yes, they will settle it on the mat in a loaded weight class at the Big Ten. It will be great for the fans.

Nobody's putting a fork in anyone. People need to get over the mindset of "if you think my guys going to lose, you think he sucks!" attitude. Ramos has looked better than Graff this season. Graff beat Ramos 2 years ago (in OT). Ramos is the returning 3rd place finisher, which is higher than Graff has placed in either of his shots at the tourney. This is not a affront to Tyler Graff as a wrestler or human being.

Life long Iowa Fan here....and Taylor deserves tons of credit for wrestling outstanding and I've never had any problems with his interviews or actions. Simply put he backs it all up....win or lose. He attacks, is in phenomenal shape, and is relentless in all positions. Honestly, I do not know how Dake has even kept it close let alone beat him...I guess the only explanation I can come up with is that Dake is in his head. He should be able to roll over Dake with at a minimum of 3-4 point win if not a major. Just baffles me.....in all honesty, he reminds me of a sophomore MCirravy only he's better on top than Lincoln. Personally, I hope he gets it done in March over Dake.

Jmhanft- Dake beats Taylor because he is smart, skilled and IMHO the best athlete currently wrestling in NCAA. Maybe 2nd best behind Ruth, maybe Ruth is most athletic with Dake a close 2nd. Dake also wrestles Taylor within the limits that the officials will allow, which is smart. Taylor likes to score and I am sure he gets frustrated in close matches where Dake is comfortable in that situation.

Maybe Taylor should "train" by having a few 2-1 ot matches, maybe he has already started today by almost getting pinned !

Nobody's putting a fork in anyone. People need to get over the mindset of "if you think my guys going to lose, you think he sucks!" attitude. Ramos has looked better than Graff this season. Graff beat Ramos 2 years ago (in OT). Ramos is the returning 3rd place finisher, which is higher than Graff has placed in either of his shots at the tourney. This is not a affront to Tyler Graff as a wrestler or human being.

No one said Ramos isn't a player (quite the contrary); so you too can stop fixating on your "boy." The comment was made that Ramos and Stieber were "head and shoulders" above the rest of the competition in that weight in the Big Ten. I disagree and there is ample evidence to support my position. I haven't come after Ramos, or Stieber, etc. They are both great...but to say they are far superior to a stacked Big Ten weight class is off the mark. Anointing either at this point is premature - that's all I am saying.

And I must have missed the part about somebody saying Graff isn't a fine human being; please let me know who said it and I will send him a PM. No need to exaggerate, we're having a fine debate without it.

Ramos and Stieber are both undefeated. Graff has 3 losses, two of them at 141. Graff has 8 decisions in his 24 matches. Ramos has 2 decisions, and I believe Stieber has 0. So yes, both guys are head and shoulders above what anyone else has shown. That doesn't mean they are unbeatable, but Graff hasn't shown himself to be on their level this year. Sorry if this offends you.