Sign in to follow this  
coyote125

Woulda, Shoulda, Couldas

The College of Southern Nevada has just been approved as a new NCWA collegiate wrestling team. CSN is located in Las Vegas, Nevada and offers a variety of academic options at multiple campus locations as well as online classes.

If you still have a passion for wrestling and have collegiate eligibility left, CSN is interested in talking with you about becoming a part of our program. We are currently working on multiple fundraising and sponsorship opportunities to fund our future facility, travel, and athletic scholarship needs. For more information, please contact team staff members at csnwrestling@aol.com.

College Coach 4 in 5-4-3...

Nevada doesn't have any college program at all in college, so this is a good start. Keep in mind that this is a school also that is a 2 year junior college and only has 2 sports offered at it right now! (baseball and softball). CSN may be a team that looks to see how numbers are and then move forward, however it could be a situation like Marion Military in which you struggle to find other NJCAA members close enough to you, so you opt for the NCWA route. I think this would be a good program to push the buttons on in a positive aspect to try to convince the powers that be at the school to make it an NJCAA sport at their institution. The numbers they could get from the SW portion of the United States would be pretty good, even luring some California kids away from the Cal Jucos.

My first question is why make it a club team instead of an official NJCAA team. They could have added a mens and womens team and the title IX prob is solved.

They are raising all this money for travel, scholarships, etc....why not make it an official team?

I doubt they'll take away California kids from Cali jucos unless it was an official team like Clackamas, Highline etc...

My first question is why make it a club team instead of an official NJCAA team. They could have added a mens and womens team and the title IX prob is solved.

They are raising all this money for travel, scholarships, etc....why not make it an official team?

I doubt they'll take away California kids from Cali jucos unless it was an official team like Clackamas, Highline etc...

If a program is offering a scholarship, some kids these days just see $$$ and realize they are competing. I just looked and Western Wyoming (9 hours away) is the closest NJCAA program to them. Still, they could dip into California and face all of those Jucos, or better yet, host a California vs NJCAA type of tournament early in the year to get interest brewing.

The school has offered to make the wrestling team an NJCAA team and the team declined. An association with NCWA offers many more options than NJCAA or NCAA.

Your comment about being an "official" team is ignorant and insulting. Please feel free to walk into a CSN practice session and tell them they are not "officially" wrestlers. NCWA teams defeat NCAA teams on a regular basis. NCAA addicts are like the battered wife that repeatedly gets punched in the face but continues to come back for more. The intelligent ones simply walk out the door.

You may not know, but you wouldn't believe the attitudes of a lot of kids/parents/families these days. In Illinois, I've known families whose child was never a state qualifier, but won 30-plus matches at a senior, they spent money for their son to attend X wrestling school/club to improve and then EXPECT athletic scholarships to roll in, as if the colleges and universities now owe them for all of the investing they did up through high school. If the truth is that they're offering scholarship money, they'll have more than enough interest in their team from better than average student-athletes.

Congratulations on the new team and good luck!

The school has offered to make the wrestling team an NJCAA team and the team declined. An association with NCWA offers many more options than NJCAA or NCAA.

Your comment about being an "official" team is ignorant and insulting. Please feel free to walk into a CSN practice session and tell them they are not "officially" wrestlers. NCWA teams defeat NCAA teams on a regular basis. NCAA addicts are like the battered wife that repeatedly gets punched in the face but continues to come back for more. The intelligent ones simply walk out the door.

So the school offered and the coaching staff declined? Really? How stupid are they???? To legitimize the program and have them wrestle with the rest of the national Jucos? And they don't do it? The coaches should be fired immediately.

What was the reasoning for doing that? The athletic director should just use his power and make them wrestle in the National Juco.

What many more options does the club league offer then the NJCAA or NCAA? Lack of following rules? Lack of regulations?

NCAA and NAIA continue to add wrestling programs. Your stupid example of battered wife is ridiculous. You're out of the loop or uniformed.

Offers more options? Like what?! You can still attend meets with the NCWA programs if it is a distance thing. NJCAA is a better option in my opinion too, but it has worked for MMI. Problem is a lot of 4 year programs don't recruit NCWA. NJCAA on the other hand...

So the team is now illegitimate as well as unofficial. It's sad that you feel like you have to degrade programs simply because they do not fit into your narrow viewpoint of what a college wrestling team should be. Hopefully you are not actually a college coach as your screen name implies.

NCWA participation offers many advantages. From an administrator and coach's perspective, the regulations and paperwork are easy to deal with and if I have any questions or concerns I can just pick up the phone and talk to the head guy and he will personally assist me. No APR, no Title IX, no ticking clock on eligibility, no squad limits, no scholarships limits, no clearinghouse ... just wrestling. A wrestling organization designed in the best interests of wrestlers, which is a far cry from the NCAA.

For the athletes, we can offer opportunities to nearly everyone that still has a passion for wrestling. We will offer easy enrollment, reasonably priced classes at multiple locations or online, opportunities to train at multiple MMA locations, part or full time employment, tuition reimbursement, and coaching and community service projects. Wrestlers only need to be enrolled half time to be eligible and it does not matter how old they are. That includes just about everyone. The goal is to develop a well rounded individual. Oh yeah, and you get to live in VEGAS!!!

Wrestlers will be able to leave CSN with several combinations of accomplishments, including being a four time collegiate All-American, MMA training and fights, free college tuition, an AA degree, 2 AA degrees, a four year medical degree from CSN, a four year degree from UNLV via dual enrollment, four years of work experience with a guaranteed job upon completion, the pride of participating in multiple community service projects, and the fun of living the Las Vegas lifestyle.

Wrestling is not the most important thing in life. Wrestling is a discipline that can enable an individual to push through what they thought were their limits and strengthen them mentally, physically, and emotionally. Once you've wrestled, everything else in life may not be easy, but you will be better equipped to handle success and adversity than if you had not had that experience, regardless of the level of competition, or the number of wins and losses.

Sorry to get so philosophical. I'm headed to The Strip for some fine dining and a show.