Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

Big10 Championships - Visitors Guide to Bloomington IN

Figured I'd start you out-of-towners out with a few places worth visiting on Bloomington for Big10 weekend. I visit Bloomington occasionally, but I'm not a local. Here is what I know is decent in the area. Those from Bloomington feel free to add in more.

Food & Drinks

Mother Bears - Some of the best Pizza in the Mid-West

Janko's Little Zagrebs - Great steak and seafood

Scotty's Brewhouse - Good food and drink selection. It about to franchise out Nationwide so try it while it still mostly an Indiana thing.

Nicks English Hut - Solid Pizza and good drinking hangout. Play "Sink the Bizmark" if you are with a group, like beer, and want an entertaining evening.

FARMBloomington - for those into the Farm to table food movement

Feasts Bakery - Good food and great baked goods.

Village Deli - Well it's a good Deli style eatery and a big breakfast destination too.

Upland Brew Co. - Local Craft Brew destination.

The Tap - Large selection including craft brew.

Bloomington Brew Co. Good craft brew selection.

Crazyhourse - Large Brew selection.

Bluebird - Nightclub/bar Live Band location. Fri. Hairbangers Ball (Fun 80s Cover Band) Sat. Corey Smith (Up and Coming Country Star)

Kilroys - Decent sports bar. More college age crowd.

Crescent Donut Shop - Good for a quick breakfast. Need I say more.

Rainbow Bakery - Good for the sweattooth and breakfast food.

Bloomington Beagle Co. - if you want something other than just a donut this is a good option.

Runcible Spoon - If you need some fancy Coffee and breakfast/brunch.

Somas Coffee House - Another fancy Coffee location with a solid Juice bar too.

Anyestangs Little Tibetan Resturant - For the adventures eaters.

Owlery Resturaunt - Vegan and Vegiterian hot spot.

Sightseeing Options for those with extra time

Brown County and Hoosier National Forest - Great walk or drive around, but visit in the Fall if you want the great leave changing experience.

Wonderlab - If you have young kids it a great activity center to spend a few hours.

Cardinal Spirits - Local Craft Spirits destinations.

Oliver Winery - if you like the wine thing.

Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Center - If you want a unique cultural experience visit here. It not what you expect to see in the Middle of Indiana. Started by the Dhali Lama's Brother.

Mathers Museum of World Culture - The title give it away.

Downtown Square - Lots of shops and boutiques if your wife is tagging along. And it's in the same area as most of the food and drink spots. She can shop and you can get a few drinks.

Assembly Hall - You are there anyway take a walk around the recently renovated building. It's got a lot of basketball history if you can choke down the sight of that other winter sport.

IU Campus - Its a pretty nice institute of learning and most of campus is beautiful although your visiting at the wrong time of year for nature to help the aesthetics.

Me - I'll be near roaming the arena during the day, and possibly sporting a Willow themed shirt during the evenings activities.

Edited by MadMardigain

Can you see Bobby Knight's old office?

. It was in Assembly Hall, but I think that area has been remodeled enough time that who knows if the spot is even an office anymore. They had the infamous "Bobby Knight Chair" in the storage closet. Well the whole set of those chairs, one of them being the actual one thrown.

I seem to remember a really great ice cream shop a few blocks from campus last time we were there. Lots of flavors.Can't remember a name though, any help with that?

Only ice cream shops I know of are

Jiffy Treet if you want the old soft serve ice cream stand feel. Not tons of selection but a good nostalgia trip. Outside service so I have no clue if it's open this time of year.

Hartzels which has a pretty decent hard serve selection. It has inside tables so maybe open year round.

Brusters. I haven't been there but when I've drove by it seems busy. I think it's more for outside service so I'm Not sure if it's open this time of year.

Edited by MadMardigain

Young crowd ,Kilroy's for UFC. Or Yogi's older crowd UFC. Also in mad's rundown of restaurants and bars he put Ruinable Spoon it is Runcible spoon, go to place for breakfast.

Thanks Southend. I'd agree with those bars as good for watching some sports. Although I have no knowledge of if they purchase the UFC PPVs. I may end up at one myself if they do.

And I'll make the spelling correction. I guess autocorrect messed me up.

Edited by MadMardigain

Thanks Southend. I'd agree with those bars as good for watching some sports. Although I have no knowledge of if they purchase the UFC PPVs. I may end up at one myself if they do.

And I'll make the spelling correction. I guess autocorrect messed me up.

I know Kilroy's does purchase for sure. And I think Yogie's does also, but check with them.

For those trying to catch UFC that Saturday night what place could you recommend for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Per the UFC Bar list: Brothers and BW3 are confirmed as showing the fight. That doesn't mean it's the whole list, but at least that is two spots to watch the fight. If anyone has checked on any other bars in the area let us know.

Per the UFC Bar list: Brothers and BW3 are confirmed as showing the fight. That doesn't mean it's the whole list, but at least that is two spots to watch the fight. If anyone has checked on any other bars in the area let us know.

Really appreciate this. Likely going to BW3s after the B10s end so we can catch the Main Events. Last year we tried to do this in Iowa but, since it was a McGregor fight there was nowhere to go... Hoping this one goes better.