Sign in to follow this  
backdrft76

Iowa fans: Taylor or Dake??

Who you rooting for if comes down to these 2 at Nationals (assuming Moore does as well as expected and team points are not an issue)?? We all saw Taylor give Hawk fans a little respect on TV, and we all know how arrogant Dake is. So after seeing a post about this topic on another forum, I figured I'd ask. Who do you like? And if you don't cheer for either, that's cool too.

Hatchet, I was really looking for Iowa fan's opinions since I thought it would be more interesting to see what they had to say. But I guess if others wanna throw their 2 cents in there, they can.

And it's not who you think is gonna win, but who you would pull for if these 2 met in the finals with everything off the table.

Dake is Dake. He would be going for a major accomplishment in NCAA history. Something that if you're a wrestling fan you might want to see happen in your lifetime. But he also comes across as arrogant. Almost too arrogant to some. And this may cause some people not to like him, and to root against his 4th championship. We all know what happened last year in the Finals.

On the other hand, Taylor may be on a team that most Hawk fans hate (even after beating them Friday night). But he showed some respect to Iowa. And he is a respectable guy, I think.

So in the end, who do you pull for??

I am a PSU fan. Dake is a winner which is the name of the game but I will not put him in the company of the great wrestlers in NCAA history until he scores an offensive point against Taylor if/when they meet again.

IMHO- A ride out ot win does not determine a definitive winner, it is basically a tie with a win awarded to the guy who benefited from a lucky situation in the match. I hope that a definitive winner is determined in the next Dake/Taylor meeting. I hope one of them can score offensive points using real wrestling moves that are drilled and practiced to perfection and I hope the match does not go to OT.

I am a PSU fan. Dake is a winner which is the name of the game but I will not put him in the company of the great wrestlers in NCAA history until he scores an offensive point against Taylor if/when they meet again.

IMHO- A ride out ot win does not determine a definitive winner, it is basically a tie with a win awarded to the guy who benefited from a lucky situation in the match. I hope that a definitive winner is determined in the next Dake/Taylor meeting. I hope one of them can score offensive points using real wrestling moves that are drilled and practiced to perfection and I hope the match does not go to OT.

This makes no sense. First of all, Taylor hasn't scored an offensive point against Dake either. Second of all, both guys get the chance to ride out, so it's hardly luck, it's who has more skill in a given area. So enjoy that grinding ax, but it's not based in reality. Dake has been better than Taylor both times they've wrestled.

Vac- I agree to a point. The difference is that Dake is wrestling to make history, first to win 4 titles at 4 weights which is mind blowing amazing. There have been many great champs in NCAA history who have won multiple titles. Most of those great champs have made their mark with the ability to score offensive points against top competition.

I realize the the Dake -Taylor matches were fair and both had the same opportunity to score in ot.....the main point is that I hope the winner of the next match will score with offense and that the match does not go to ot. I don't want to see a winner determined by a situation resembling a luck of the draw or chance. I hope to see a more definitive winner. I will root for Taylor but will give the due credit and respect to Dake if he wins by scoring with wrestling moves. That's just my humble opinion and I dont care if it makes 100 pct sense.I am sure that Dake and fans could give a crap less if he wins by 5 pts or wins a match with no td, rides a claw parallel and scores a ride out triple ot win. Either way, he would make history with the win.

I think this is a tough one for Iowa fans. On the one hand, some (but clearly not all) Iowa fans have developed a massive hatred for Penn State to the point that they have trouble appreciating the excellence of wrestlers like Taylor and Ruth, so they will want a Penn State guy to lose regardless of the team implications. On the other hand, I was in St. Louis last year when the whole Iowa section lustily booed Dake immediately after he won his third title over St. John.

Nom- yes, reversal is two, offensive move. I get it. Somewhat controversial reversal but as much as I was hoping to see that it was a bad call, it was not. The point is that I just hope that if Dake were to make history as one of the best wrestlers in the history of the sport, that he is able to do it with a definitive win over a quality opponent so skeptics like myself can't run their mouth on a forum about the way his last NCAA match was won.

My personal preference (to a fault) is the older style of wrestling where stalling was called and points from drilled wrestling moves were scored. Wrestling before the funk and gimmicks.

I realize that these points may not make sense. I have argued with NCAA champs who defend Dake and my opinion would be swayed but then I still come back to my same opinion.

I hope that the winner of their next meeting wins without any controversy, no perception of parallel ride stalling and maybe a real takedown or two.

As an avid Iowa wrestling fan, I believe that Dake is better but much prefer DT's style of wrestling. Dake is often satisfied with dominating a top-10 opponent on the mat and often ending the match in a shut out (10-0 or 9-0), while DT is lighting up the scoreboard (tech falls, multiple take downs, etc.). I think who you're rooting for as a hawk fan depends on the situation. I will root against Taylor every step of the way, as his points may mean the difference in the team standings. If the finals arrive and the title is already sewn up or out of reach, I will, without a doubt, root for DT over Dake. Dake has proven to be an arrogant, self-absorbed persona on and off the mat. DT on the other hand is a student of the sport and a class act whose style I much prefer. I do, however, think that Dake's style and power is a bad match-up for Taylor's wide-open style and that Dake will find a way to squeak out the win.

I think this is a tough one for Iowa fans. On the one hand, some (but clearly not all) Iowa fans have developed a massive hatred for Penn State to the point that they have trouble appreciating the excellence of wrestlers like Taylor and Ruth, so they will want a Penn State guy to lose regardless of the team implications. On the other hand, I was in St. Louis last year when the whole Iowa section lustily booed Dake immediately after he won his third title over St. John.

I'll never forget that moment in my whole life. A large portion of the Iowa fans (not all) began booing Dake loudly during his interview. At the point, the entire arena (outside of Iowa fans) stood up and almost tore the roof off to drown out the Iowa fans. It was a great moment, as it was the entire rest of the wrestling fans basically telling that large portion of Iowa fans that they are a-holes. I know Iowa fans probably don't want to hear it, but, that is what it was. Once again, I realize it wasn't all Iowa fans booing, but, it was a large portion of them.

I am VERY surprised about the attacks on Dake's character. Kid seems like a great guy. Is he always completely diplomatic? No. Is he confident? Yes. Not getting this arrogance thing though.

I like Taylor's style better. But they are both incredible.

I am VERY surprised about the attacks on Dake's character. Kid seems like a great guy. Is he always completely diplomatic? No. Is he confident? Yes. Not getting this arrogance thing though.

I like Taylor's style better. But they are both incredible.

I don't think we are attacking Kyle's character here. That's not the intent of this. His character is what it is, and I just wanted to gauge what the Iowa (and other) fans were feeling, that's all. No ill will here...

Iowa fan here, and not really a Penn State fan, but I like David Taylor. What's not to like? Great wrestler, and he seems like a nice guy, too. Like other Hawk fans, I just like the way he wrestles. It is a pleasure to watch a nice guy who's this good wrestle. I like good wrestling, and I'm glad he wrestled Friday night at Hawkeye Carver.

Dake is absolutely phenomenal, but I'm rooting for David Taylor to drop him at Nationals, unless someone else can get that job done in an earlier round. Nothing against Dake, but I want the next 4-timer to wear black & gold.

Not tough for me. It is always a pleasure to watch good wrestlers like Taylor and Ruth.

If there is any "massive hatred" going on, it's the massive hatred of Iowa and it's fans. This is old news, and it greatly predates Taylor or Dake.

LOL.....If, Dake was the BEST Corn picker in Iowa- MANY would still have a problem with him. Too funny, that CONFIDENCE and expecting nothing less than victory signifies... arrogance !!!???? KYLE DAKE is on the verge of wrestling immortality. The opportunity to distinguish himself as the ONLY Four time NCAA D-1 Champion that has done it is four consecutive weight classes....btw- he could make 157 without too much effort....and St John would be swept away again.

ARROGANT ??? lol.....

Again, I am a PSU fan and will root for Tayor... But not sure where the criticism of Dake's character comes in. He seems like a great kid. He seems confident and believes he will win just like all champs do. He obviously works very hard in wrestling but what has not really been discussed is how he was able to win three titles and possibly a fourth while attending an Ivy League school. I don't know what his major is but I am sure he has some academic challenges that some of his peers do not have.

Maybe his time spent on academics prevent him from learning offense td's :D (had to throw a dig in there)

Plain and Simple, I want to see an attacking wrestler win over a conservative, defense oriented wrestler. Taylor..,..preferably by a serious butt wooping in front of a bunch of my fellow Iowa fans who appreciate an aggressive minded wrestler getting after it!