Sign in to follow this  
backdrft76

Iowa fans: Taylor or Dake??

All the talk about Dake's arrogance. I just don't see it. Confidence. Expectations of winning. His comments after Tank's "I choose down." started it all, but Molinaro realized it was stupid as well - a little too late.

I prefer the wide open scoring style of DT to Dake's hammer style. Both result in dominance of most opponents, true, but the style is most definitely different.

All that being said, I will NOT be rooting for DT. Several reasons, and some just plain petty I admit. Still I would love to see a feat such as Dake is about to acccomplish, and not sure we will ever see that again. 3x champs, however rarified, will still come and go.

Die-hard Iowa fan here mostly because of their relentless, physical style. I love watching David Taylor because he is relentless as well. I root against Penn St simply because they, and Oklahoma St are Iowa's biggest obstacle to winning a national title. For some reason I always root for Minnesota though unless they are against the Hawks; I think it is because of their relentless, physical style as well. I hate to say it but there is nothing I like to see more than a guy come back in a match simply because he is in better shape. My college coach used to say that you shouldn't be allowed to step on the mat unless you can go a hard seven minutes and be ready for overtime.

Anyway Kyle Dake has the opportunity to do something unprecendented. It is impossible to equal Sanderson's undefeated career but Dake may be able to get as close as possible. Does he go against how I coach my wrestlers to attack constantly? Is he boring to watch? Yes to both but when someone is on the verge to do something historic I feel it is only right to pull for them, simply because nobody may ever get this opportunity ever again. Assuming the team scores will be unaffected I am rooting for a Dake/Taylor final and an exciting match in the finals with Dake writing history before our eyes. However if he loses because of this style I will be quick to use it as a teaching tool about keeping matches close.

Is anyone reading Vak's posts? He is spot on.

How can you say Dake's style is boring? Have you actually watched him? He has more offense then most and he is pinning a fair bit.

Yes, Taylor is a scoring machine, kudos to him. But Dake is not boring. Holy crap.

Honestly, it's hard to say. I hope it is a great match, with no controversy, and whoever wins earns it. I think it woud be col for Dake to win 4 titles at 4 weights, but wouldn't mind seeing Taylor win his 2nd (or 3rd next year). Taylor is MUCH more exciting to watch, and just makes it look easy.

I think I would pick Taylor if I had to.

Dake was FAT last Summer- I dont think he missed a meal. A reliable source hopes that FILA changes the weights to 152.5 - this would be in Dake's crosshairs. The choice of moving up to 165 this year- was a STATEMENT from a competitive young man- who strongly has looked for the best competition he could find since he was in High School. Win and miss meals or Win and watch your intake.

I've been a big fan of Taylor because of his aggressive style and the way he conducts himself. Dake impressed me last year because he began pinning. I was one of the fans booing the Iowa fans. From what i've seen thru both careers both are very classy young men. Being a Sooner, i do not have a dog in this fight/argument.

Plain and Simple, I want to see an attacking wrestler win over a conservative, defense oriented wrestler. Taylor..,..preferably by a serious butt wooping in front of a bunch of my fellow Iowa fans who appreciate an aggressive minded wrestler getting after it!

Dake looked to be attacking the last 3 years when he's wiped the mat with best Iowa had to offer.

A simple fact of college wrestling is that Iowa fans will always root against anyone trying to make history unless they wear the black and gold.

Dake's move up to seek out challenging competition in order to win his fourth title, and in so doing giving up a near sure title, is unprecedented (anyone who watched Alton/St.John a couple days ago and thinks Dake would struggle with either of those two is delusional - 157 is incredibly weak at the top end). He's a good young man who works his tail off and is obsessed w/wrestling. I know many wrestling fans prefer the Tebow school of question answering, where the athlete basically says nothing for 3 minutes and then ends with some sort of god reference - heaven forbid a kid answer with honest and emotion.

Plain and Simple, I want to see an attacking wrestler win over a conservative, defense oriented wrestler. Taylor..,..preferably by a serious butt wooping in front of a bunch of my fellow Iowa fans who appreciate an aggressive minded wrestler getting after it!

Dake looked to be attacking the last 3 years when he's wiped the mat with best Iowa had to offer.

A simple fact of college wrestling is that Iowa fans will always root against anyone trying to make history unless they wear the black and gold.

Dake's move up to seek out challenging competition in order to win his fourth title, and in so doing giving up a near sure title, is unprecedented (anyone who watched Alton/St.John a couple days ago and thinks Dake would struggle with either of those two is delusional - 157 is incredibly weak at the top end). He's a good young man who works his tail off and is obsessed w/wrestling. I know many wrestling fans prefer the Tebow school of question answering, where the athlete basically says nothing for 3 minutes and then ends with some sort of god reference - heaven forbid a kid answer with honest and emotion.

What a stupid post. I'm an Iowa fan. I'm rooting for Dake. Your entire argument was disproved in just those 5 seconds.

And Dake just wrestled St. John (an injured St. John) last year, and hardly wiped the floor with him. I would make Dake a strong favorite, but you're just being obnoxious to say that. Besides for that, you're looking at one match between two familiar opponents that was close and low scoring with a lot of handfighting/positioning battles and saying that they're no competition for Dake. I could show someone a video of the Dake-Taylor matches and that video alone would hardly be evidence of Dake or Taylor's superiority to the competition.

I got off on a tangent there, but basically, Dake would be a strong favorite at 157 or 165 but to essentially degrade the entire weight class as being beneath Dake's worth is ridiculous.

Big Iowa fan here.

A little comment first... some of the seem to have a rather prejudiced view of Iowa fans. Not all of us "hate PSU" not all of us root against anyone making history who "not in black and gold." And not all of us booed Dake last year.

As far as Dake's attitude? He has confidence and is straight forward and honest in his opinions. I have no problem with that. Against most anyone but Iowa, I find myself rooting for him, and his historic quest would be fun to see.

Yet Taylor is more exciting to watch. Electrifying really. The only one in his league happens to be his team mate Ruth. Taylor seems like a class act as well.

Bottom line.... I don't have a strong favorite between the two. In a head to head, for me it mostly comes down to will it hurt or help Iowa's chances to win in March. That being the case, since PSU is more the threat (#1 threat, to be exact), odds are I'd root for Dake. If PSU has it sewn up early, or Iowa has no chance, I wouldn't have a strong favorite.

I think this is a tough one for Iowa fans. On the one hand, some (but clearly not all) Iowa fans have developed a massive hatred for Penn State to the point that they have trouble appreciating the excellence of wrestlers like Taylor and Ruth, so they will want a Penn State guy to lose regardless of the team implications. On the other hand, I was in St. Louis last year when the whole Iowa section lustily booed Dake immediately after he won his third title over St. John.

++++ 100%

Plus to the initial qualifiers, I love Iowa wrestling! Always have since the late 60's ... Just don't care for the Iowa fans, that come and go depending on which way the wind is blowing.

So to answer the original question ... CRAP !!! I'm not sure. :o

Would love to see Dake get his 4 titles in 4 weight classes, yet I'm a fan of DT from back when he was in HS!! I'm leaning towards Dake ... Unless PSU needs DT's points in the finals.

Dake for two reasons. One, I like seeing history being made. I want to be able to say I was there when Dake won all four of his titles at 4 different weight classes. That may never be duplicated. I want to see it happen. Two, the PSU fans. Not all of you are bad but a lot of you need to learn how to win. You win two titles and some of you think the "train" is the greatest thing in wrestling history. I'm sorry but as a program you are barely better than Michigan St. and Arizona St. and you are not even close to Iowa St. I like a lot of the PSU wrestlers and I like how a lot of them wrestle. Alton, Ruth and Q are fun to watch for sure. It's the PSU fans who make the team look bad. I'll still be cheering for Ruth (I was on Ruth when he was still in high school and you guys aren't turning me against my boy) but at 65 I'll be cheering Dake.

It's the PSU fans who make the team look bad.

Really? EVERY fan base in the WORLD has absurd fans. No ifs, ands, buts about it. PSU's are magnified right now beings the recent success. Don't let it fool you though, knuckleheads are everywhere.

Dake for two reasons. One, I like seeing history being made. I want to be able to say I was there when Dake won all four of his titles at 4 different weight classes. That may never be duplicated. I want to see it happen. Two, the PSU fans. Not all of you are bad but a lot of you need to learn how to win. You win two titles and some of you think the "train" is the greatest thing in wrestling history. I'm sorry but as a program you are barely better than Michigan St. and Arizona St. and you are not even close to Iowa St. I like a lot of the PSU wrestlers and I like how a lot of them wrestle. Alton, Ruth and Q are fun to watch for sure. It's the PSU fans who make the team look bad. I'll still be cheering for Ruth (I was on Ruth when he was still in high school and you guys aren't turning me against my boy) but at 65 I'll be cheering Dake.

You are right. Remember last year, when the PSU fans were booing Dake, and the entire rest of the arena got on their feet and drowned out the PSU fans, as a collective message, telling them that they are a-holes ?

I find it downright hilarious that an Iowa fan is criticizing PSU's fan-base. Seriously, that is the definition of irony.

I argued w/ my Hawk buddies at NCAA's last year that I thought Dake would beat Taylor. I was the only one who thought that. He's 3-0 against him since then. Who would I prefer? That's tough ... let's look at some of the reasons presented thus far:

1) Cockiness / Arrogance: I think they both fall into this category. Heck, they have reason to think their $hit doesn't stink -- Taylor is no less cocky than Dake, IMO. The sitting on an opponent's back thing is flambuoyantly annoying, but I get that he's waiting for a potential tilt (there are other less annoying things to get a man to base up, but hey, it's better than Ruth's letting a guy go while putting a knee in his rear to push him away -- that's just classless);

2) Aggressive style vs. proclaimed defensive style: everybody loves action, and Taylor is more fun to watch when it comes to putting up points w/ varied attacks;

3) Control: Dake is the king of making people wrestle how he wants to wrestle. You have to respect a man that you can't beat, even when you know how to prepare for him. Both guys are phenomenal in all 3 positions.

As a technique and neutral wrestling fan, I'll take Taylor. Otherwise, I like Dake's ability to throw and manhandle guys, well, at least until he tires. He definitely is not afraid of Taylor on the feet, so I will never bet against Dake, because I think he is better than David Taylor in all 3 positions when they wrestle each other.

Anyone have any footage/interviews of Taylor's comments following his 3 losses to Dake?

Maybe they are on a site with his comments after majoring Hatchett in the finals? After his team won its 2nd National Championship? Footage/interviews like that?

As for Dake, those that think "if he isn't scoring, he's boring", couldn't be further from the truth.

Dake dominates.

And speaking of Dake domination, since he owns Taylor, per most, then it isn't a challenge to him to move up to 165 and win it, is it?

He beat an injured St. John last year, not the one that looks to be healthy this season.