PSUMike

Was Heil pinned?

Should Jimmy have gotten the fall?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jimmy have gotten the fall?

• Yes
    • No

Not the clearest and a little far away to clearly see where the left scapula starts and stops, but I would call that position a pin if he stayed there for a solid 2 count.  Which, I can guarantee was not the case.

This is clear enough for me to know that if he was there for a second he is pinned.  This said, watching the match I couldn't conclusively say that Heil was flat for a second straight, but when a guy relies on this as defense and plays with fire so much he deserves to get burned once in a while.  It's a judgment call that officials don't seem to call against him...ever  If they did every now and again, I am sure he would adjust. 

So they can never be questioned about a missed fall if they weren't in position to call it,.....seems about right. If a fall is not reviewable then (in this case and all others like it) the refs need not care about the two for takedown and worry about the two shoulders on the mat instead. Make sure the Fall isn't missed and review for the takedown if need be. No excuses for not being down on the mat looking for the fall.

Let's be real...OSU fans will see it as a good non-call, PSU fans as a Fall.  I would imagine that the majority of other team fans will think it was a Fall.  The funny thing is, if Heil was on PSU...I am sure that most PSU fans would not cry for the Fall whereas most OSU fans would be outraged it wasn't called.  This is what I call Human Nature. 

Well aware of the entire rule.  As I have said multiple times, it is a pretty consistent "unwritten" rule that a neutral fall requires 2x the amount of time to get called and I wrote exactly what I did meaning scapula "area", hence saying I couldn't tell by the pic where it started/stopped.

A neutral fall is nothing like a controlled fall and simply isn't going to be called the same way!

...a little bit dependent upon where you are and who you are. 

I could see a takedown being called, I can also see why it wasn't.  Heil had the crotchlock pretty tight still.  You can see the ref looking right at that a majority of the time.  Simply put, neither the takedown or the pin are clear and that is inevitably why neither were called.

Isn't it amazing how Heil seemingly gets the benefit of the doubt in his matches?

Come on. I'm mostly an OSU fan (after my OU favoritism), and Heil was flattened. No way he wasn't.

The rules might not be what they used to be though. Some of these guys are implying defensive pins aren't allowed anymore. Was that a rule change that was made, like the 4 pt nearfalls?

Edited by TobusRex