VakAttack

Zain can be had

Excellent question. Higher probability that he loses one before he goes undefeated for the postseason and all of next year. Same with Imar. The odds aren't in their favor.

Which will make it all the more impressive if they win out.

Edited by unbiased

a few months ago he was going to bonus through the season right? Those kinds of expectations always crack me up, it's like people forget how good the rest of the field and other coaches are, or that one major decision result vs a quality opponent means the rest of their matches will be the same. That said, I think he is still a strong favorite but yeah the gap has been narrowed. He's not untouchable in neutral; I think getting out of the 1st without being ridden a ton is key. Longer he's on top grinding....well that's when it gets bad. 

Edited by KTG119

He's wrestling a lot more conservatively than he was at the start of the season. I don't know if it's a confidence thing but early on, he'd constantly attack from neutral. I don't think he took 3 shots against Collica. 

He's definitely no lock.  I am happy that Collica is all but assured to be on the other side of the bracket.  We'll likely see how Sorensen pt 2 goes in a couple weeks.  part 3 could be the semi matchup.  

Edited by LemonPie

He's wrestling a lot more conservatively than he was at the start of the season. I don't know if it's a confidence thing but early on, he'd constantly attack from neutral. I don't think he took 3 shots against Collica. 

He took a few in the first period that didn't get to the legs.  I don't think he took any in the 3rd.  

It is hard to stay at that level of dominance.  Dieringer repeatedly looked bored his senior year.  He was much hungrier to dominate as a junior.  

I think a few guys have gotten better (Sorenson and Collica), and Zain has come to rely more and more on the top game.  Add it up and we have an actual finals match this year whoever he sees. 

maybe had to do with quality of competition at start of season?

Edited by KTG119

Vak, I don't think any reasonable person can argue with your point.  I'm surprised at how much the gap has been closed.  Against Collica & Sorensen, it felt like he couldn't get past their defense and get off a solid shot.  That was something he was able to do consistently last year.  Collica & Sorensen both made it difficult on him when he is on top.  That was something I also didn't see last year.

Like you said, he is still the favorite, but, after seeing those two matches, I'm definitely concerned that he could go down.

Let's all just settle down and wait for TBar's assessment.

I'm pretty sure the Blue & White fans insist that he was sick with the flu against Iowa and prolly had a touch of it still hanging on against Collica.  Besides, it's much more important that Gubber (13-7) almost had a neutral fall.

I'm pretty sure the Blue & White fans insist that he was sick with the flu against Iowa and prolly had a touch of it still hanging on against Collica. Besides, it's much more important that Gubber (13-7) almost had a neutral fall.

Nope. Zain himself said he was 100% so no excuses. Vak has a fair point that Zain is human and looks vulnerable as that wasn't the case last year.

Personally I'll never bet against the kid as he has a ton of heart and won't go out without a fight. It seems like he lost some faith on his feet this year against the top guys. Say what you want, but confidence is huge in this sport and right now he's not nearly as confident in neutral as he was last year. I hope he finds it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969

I am sorry...but did Zain loose??  Didn't think so.  People need to freakin relax!   Dude is as big a stud as they come and there is nothing wrong with him.  It is always weird to me when some people think that only one wrestler will make "progress" every year and get better...truth is, every kid in college is trying to get better and bust their a$$ to do so...this is high level wrestling and anyone can be beaten on any given day....even Synder.  Point is, the guy is still a national champ and I would bet he does not lose the rest of the year...any takers??

I am sorry...but did Zain loose??  Didn't think so.  People need to freakin relax!   Dude is as big a stud as they come and there is nothing wrong with him.  It is always weird to me when some people think that only one wrestler will make "progress" every year and get better...truth is, every kid in college is trying to get better and bust their a$$ to do so...this is high level wrestling and anyone can be beaten on any given day....even Synder.  Point is, the guy is still a national champ and I would bet he does not lose the rest of the year...any takers??

Everyone in this thread besides you seems pretty calm.

Zain changed his style to mimic Heil after watching some OSU matches. He got the cling-and-win-close part but needs to work on funky stuff and near self-pins before perfection is reached. He's consulting with Bo regarding that deficiency.

I'm pretty sure the Blue & White fans insist that he was sick with the flu against Iowa and prolly had a touch of it still hanging on against Collica.  Besides, it's much more important that Gubber (13-7) almost had a neutral fall.

Some day, after Penn State wins their 10th straight title and your wife packs up your dogs and moves in with the Sandersons, your only retort is going to be, "Well, sure, but Jimmy Gullibon ..."

Zain changed his style to mimic Heil after watching some OSU matches. He got the cling-and-win-close part but needs to work on funky stuff and near self-pins before perfection is reached. He's consulting with Bo regarding that deficiency.

we should just let DH and ZR advance straight to the title match for 145lbs, thus will only have to watch that style once