VakAttack

Zain can be had

Haven't read this thread in a while. TBar - thanks for posting the legs in rule / standup. This is an eye opening clarification. Really is. I'd been going along automatically dinging the guy standing up. Thought it was being called wrong in the match under discussion. But it looks like I was wrong.

It clearly states that bottom guy is at fault if stands AFTER legs are in AND that both knees and hands are down on mat.

So if guy is quad podding, leg or legs go in, then bottom stands fully up, top guy is in the hot seat to get him down to match. If not, stalling on top. This is new info to me.

Edited by nom

Haven't read this thread in a while. TBar - thanks for posting the legs in rule / standup. This is an eye opening clarification. Really is. I'd been going along automatically dinging the guy standing up. Thought it was being called wrong in the match under discussion. But it looks like I was wrong.

It clearly states that bottom guy is at fault if stands AFTER legs are in AND that both knees and hands are down on mat.

So if guy is quad podding, leg or legs go in, then bottom stands fully up, top guy is in the hot seat to get him down to match. If not, stalling on top. This is new info to me.

BTW, I saw Lizak draped all over a couple a guys this wknd and the bottom guy would stand up and not one time was Lizak while I watching anyway, called for stalling. And his timing sticking the legs in didn't seem any different than Zain's in the Collica match. Just an observation. 

VakAttack, on 20 Feb 2017 - 3:41 PM, said:snapback.png

He's the best guy at the weight, but the gap is nowhere near as pronounced as last season. Sorensen, Collica and possibly Mayes have an honest shot to beat him. I'm still predicting he wins, but the field has closed on him significantly from last year.

So many Hawk fans live in la la land.  One fan posted at their website that Iowa would have at least 3 finalists and Penn State only 1, CALLING it!  Good job.  Glad 2 c Gill go down AGAIN! 

BTW, I think Zain actually pinned three straight guys. The two before this, Kocer and the 2nd round opponent were equally as flat as Sorenson but the call just never came. And those guys were flat for a while too. Zain is such an animal. 

LOL.  It's weird how much people care about my posts in particular.  I stand by what I said.  Zain is the best guy, but he's vulnerable.  His best match, though, is much better than anyone else's at the weight.  People don't always wrestle their best match.  I didn't see the Sorensen pinfall, but I imagine he stuck the leg in, figure foured him over and stretched the body out.  His physicality is always a threat to make something like that happen.  Good job for him.

How many other guys are on a 62 match win streak with as much bonus as Zain? The answer is zero. 

So those 62 matches mean the guy he beat in OT and the guy he beat on RT were not close to winning?

Do you really take a comment about him being the favorite but not as big a favorite as last year to be a slight?

People constantly comment on here about the next fat guy maybe being a problem for Snyder.  He gave up a TD but still won far more decisively over Medberry than Zain did over Collica, but tOSU fans don't freak out because someone suggests that Medberry has a slightly better chance than they thought he had before the TD and loss.  

Zain is awesome.  His performance in this tournament is reminding us how awesome.  His regular season was slightly less dominant than the otherworldly standard he himself set last year.  Don't turn that into an imagined slight.  Go dredge up the old posts where people actually said something negative about PSU.  This isn't one of them.

Edited by boconnell

I remember Vak saying that Sorenson had closed the gap after the Iowa dual meet.  It was unfathomable that Zain just had a bad day (and most likely under the weather) and that the next time they met it would be back to normal. 

At least I'll admit I was wrong, before all Zain could do was major Sorenson.  Last night he mangled him and had him begging to be pinned in order to stop the pain.

He's the best guy at the weight, but the gap is nowhere near as pronounced as last season. Sorensen, Collica and possibly Mayes have an honest shot to beat him. I'm still predicting he wins, but the field has closed on him significantly from last year.

What is the current status of the gap?

Inquiring minds want to know.