KTG119

who replaces Dresser?

kind of leaves Robie in a strange situation, while they search for a candidate, and he stays on, hoping to beat out any of those outside candidates, he could be missing out on opportunities at Pitt, Maryland heavily rumored to be making a change after this season (and they should), etc. Then even worse, if he loses out to someone from outside the program, that coach could come in with his own assistants and give Robie the boot.

or maybe I'm way over thinking this.... 

Leaves him in a lousy situation.  He needs to interview if he can for other positions, this is not like football where there is a plethora of open positions.  New coaches like to bring in new assistants.  

I think Robie will get the VT job.  More curious how long Dresser waits to name assistants.  I assume Kevin will have a good idea right away if Zadick or St John will follow him or stay with VT

kind of leaves Robie in a strange situation, while they search for a candidate, and he stays on, hoping to beat out any of those outside candidates, he could be missing out on opportunities at Pitt, Maryland heavily rumored to be making a change after this season (and they should), etc. Then even worse, if he loses out to someone from outside the program, that coach could come in with his own assistants and give Robie the boot.

or maybe I'm way over thinking this....

Not over thinking at all... seems very valid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the J I was referring to is the assist at tOSU.

ha, funny I mentioned him in a discussion with a friend of mine today as someone they should look at. Tech has recruited Ohio very well under Dresser, the J you mentioned of course would be a great candidate to keep that going.  

Dresser is a good dude and a great coach.  The money must have been too much to pass up.  I can't see how Iowa State is a better gig than VT, other than the money.  Dresser was set up perfectly at VT.  He has built a tremendous reputation throughout the state.  He could draw from Christiansburg to get the local kids (Dance, Carter, Epperly) who were battle tested nationally, while pulling in studs from NJ, PA and Ohio.  These kids were/are interested in VT because it is a kick ass school, in a great area, driving distance for family, with the potential to compete for a National Title (with all credit to Dresser for building it).  However, I can't see these east coast studs suddenly going to Ames, Iowa just because Dresser is now the coach.  The only coaches who can truly recruit nationally are Cael, Brands and Smith...& Koll.  

This isn't a knock on Midwest HS wrestling either.  Plenty of talent for sure.  But Iowa State is always going to be 2nd fiddle to Iowa.  Brands is always going to have a leg up on top notch in-state talent.  Do Iowa HS kids even know who Kevin Dresser is?  It's been 30 years since he was even in the state.  Kids like Brascetta, Chisko, McFadden can go to any number of schools within driving distance of where they live. What would be the appeal of Iowa State over VT, UVa, Ohio State, Lehigh or NC State?   It could be that I am proven wrong, and I will eat my humble pie.  I just think this is a big hill to climb for Dresser and Iowa State. 

Edited by tightwaist

Dresser is a good dude and a great coach.  The money must have been too much to pass up.  I can't see how Iowa State is a better gig than VT, other than the money.  Dresser was set up perfectly at VT.  He has built a tremendous reputation throughout the state.  He could draw from Christiansburg to get the local kids (Dance, Carter, Epperly) who were battle tested nationally, while pulling in studs from NJ, PA and Ohio.  These kids were/are interested in VT because it is a kick ass school, in a great area, driving distance for family, with the potential to compete for a National Title (with all credit to Dresser for building it).  However, I can't see these east coast studs suddenly going to Ames, Iowa just because Dresser is now the coach.  The only coaches who can truly recruit nationally are Cael, Brands and Smith...& Koll.  

This isn't a knock on Midwest HS wrestling either.  Plenty of talent for sure.  But Iowa State is always going to be 2nd fiddle to Iowa.  Brands is always going to have a leg up on top notch in-state talent.  Do Iowa HS kids even know who Kevin Dresser is?  It's been 30 years since he was even in the state.  Kids like Brascetta, Chisko, McFadden can go to any number of schools within driving distance of where they live. What would be the appeal of Iowa State over VT, UVa, Ohio State, Lehigh or NC State?   It could be that I am proven wrong, and I will eat my humble pie.  I just think this is a big hill to climb for Dresser and Iowa State. 

Didn't ISU have a higher ranked incoming class than VT a month ago?  Jackson was having no trouble getting kids to go there, and Dresser is a much better coach.  I think you are way overstating how hard it is to recruit to ISU and how easy it is to recruit to VT.

This isn't a knock on Midwest HS wrestling either.  Plenty of talent for sure.  But Iowa State is always going to be 2nd fiddle to Iowa.  Brands is always going to have a leg up on top notch in-state talent.  Do Iowa HS kids even know who Kevin Dresser is?  It's been 30 years since he was even in the state.  Kids like Brascetta, Chisko, McFadden can go to any number of schools within driving distance of where they live. What would be the appeal of Iowa State over VT, UVa, Ohio State, Lehigh or NC State?   It could be that I am proven wrong, and I will eat my humble pie.  I just think this is a big hill to climb for Dresser and Iowa State.  .

Dresser will still be able to draw the kids from Virginia.  He will also get many from Iowa as well.  Not every kid in Iowa likes the "Brands style" mentality, and recently their results haven't been spectacular. I'm not just talking about on the NCAA level..Internationally as well they have struggled. If Iowa fails in putting together a super team led by Spencer Lee, there is a chance for ISU to surpass them over the next decade.  

You also missed the part about him living near his family...He said his Mom lives 20 minutes from ISU...When you're old and have spent a life building your career away from home, you can't overestimate the value in the opportunity to see them on a consistent basis.  

Mark Manning would beg to differ that those four are the "only coaches who can truly recruit nationally." Nebraska's #6 ranked lineup consists of starters from Michigan, New Mexico, Iowa, Oregon, Oregon, Kansas, Minnesota, South Carolina, Nebraska, & South Dakota.

Mark Manning would beg to differ that those four are the "only coaches who can truly recruit nationally." Nebraska's #6 ranked lineup consists of starters from Michigan, New Mexico, Iowa, Oregon, Oregon, Kansas, Minnesota, South Carolina, Nebraska, & South Dakota.

So would Tom Ryan, unless Maryland is now considered part of Ohio.  

9 states? pretty crazy.

I thought it was pretty cool last year that Dresser had AAs from 5 different states at Tech-VA, WV, PA, NJ, and OH. Thinking that doesn't happen too often. 

That is impressive regarding Manning.  But, when you coach in a state like Nebraska...almost all of your best kids are going to be from out of state.  I guess, when I speak nationally, I am talking about elite blue chip kids coming out of HS.  Zeke Jones should also be put in that mix.  But, has Nebraska placed in the Top 4 at NCAA's?  I know they have many Top 10 finishes.  Dresser has VT on the cusp.  He will now be starting over.  He has been able to pluck kids like Chisko and Walz because of the pipeline he's created in both states.  Can't see that continuing in Ames...but I fully admit that I could be completely wrong.  I wish him well. 

What if  PITT was after Robie???.  Does he go or stay in Blacksburg?

Tough call because he's got a ready made top 10 (at least) team and has been in that program learning the ins and outs of it.  At Pitt, who knows what's really going on?  

That is impressive regarding Manning. But, when you coach in a state like Nebraska...almost all of your best kids are going to be from out of state. I guess, when I speak nationally, I am talking about elite blue chip kids coming out of HS. Zeke Jones should also be put in that mix. But, has Nebraska placed in the Top 4 at NCAA's? I know they have many Top 10 finishes. Dresser has VT on the cusp. He will now be starting over. He has been able to pluck kids like Chisko and Walz because of the pipeline he's created in both states. Can't see that continuing in Ames...but I fully admit that I could be completely wrong. I wish him well.

Nebraska has finished 4th at NCAA's twice under Manning, including '08-'09 when Nebraska split the Big 12 tournament title with ISU. Nebraska finished in the top 4 two other times, 3rd under Neumann ('93) and 4th under Fehrs ('84).

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=63&SPID=28&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=1480093&DB_OEM_ID=100

Nebraska has finished 4th at NCAA's twice under Manning, including '08-'09 when Nebraska split the Big 12 tournament title with ISU. Nebraska finished in the top 4 two other times, 3rd under Neumann ('93) and 4th under Fehrs ('84).

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=63&SPID=28&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=1480093&DB_OEM_ID=100

Considering the lack of talent in Nebraska, I have always been impressed with what Manning does year in and out.

I have it on good authority that the reason he isn't finishing out the season is due to the VT AD not allowing him to. It's not Dresser's decision. Apparently the AD didn't react well when Dresser approached him about the ISU opportunity.

Drives my ass insane. Guaranteed the athletic director would leave if he got a big pay raise to a major college program. Football and basketball coaches leave all the time. Sometimes the circumstances of the situation are not ideal but then again what in life is always ideal. I assume the man's getting a pay raise a7nd his mother is nearby. Yes there's some problems in dealing with Iowa as far as recruiting goes but if Dresser has proved anything it's that he can recruit. After all he has done for them and they basically tell him you can't finish the season out. How ****ty is that?