Sign in to follow this  
tabenn

Will Brands refuse to wrestle ISU?

He has no issues with dresser... he has said dresser was one of his mentors and ever recruited him and his brother to iowa. His bead is with VT and rightly so for taking the year from kids

Oh, bull****. The kids sign for a school and it is on the paperwork. Reality is we all know the top wrestlers generally sign for the coach - but all the paperwork says different.

Brands is butt hurt because he did not get his way and VaTech held the wrestlers to their contract.

For him to still whine and bitch is nothing more than small minded parochialism. In doing so he cheats his kids out of some good competition for the sake of his own vanity.

Oh, bull****. The kids sign for a school and it is on the paperwork. Reality is we all know the top wrestlers generally sign for the coach - but all the paperwork says different.

Brands is butt hurt because he did not get his way and VaTech held the wrestlers to their contract.

For him to still whine and bitch is nothing more than small minded parochialism. In doing so he cheats his kids out of some good competition for the sake of his own vanity.

So you believe that it's right for a school outside of a conference to take a year of eligibility from a kid that signed on the wrestle for a coach? Did Iowa state do that when Cael dumped them? Nope they sure didn't. It sounds like you're the one that's butt hurt because tom went to Iowa to coach.

So you believe that it's right for a school outside of a conference to take a year of eligibility from a kid that signed on the wrestle for a coach? Did Iowa state do that when Cael dumped them? Nope they sure didn't. It sounds like you're the one that's butt hurt because tom went to Iowa to coach.

Yes its perfectly fine and take away their participation award as well.

They got money from the school, and they refused to wrestle, electing instead to sit a year.  I don't feel one bit sorry for them.  

They got money from the school, and they refused to wrestle, electing instead to sit a year. I don't feel one bit sorry for them.

They got money for the one year they were there, right? And how much money did they get? Guarantee it wasn't an entire years worth of tuition.

College basketball and football players sit automatically unless a scandal takes place or it's a grad transfer. They must think wrestlers are soft.

ISU released one wrestler to Cael. A senior who happened to be his brother. Brown left for a mission and Long came aboard the following year after he was kicked off the team.

Taylor was released from his LOI... Just like Billy Murphy was released from his LOI by VT.

I'm all for empowering student athletes and think sitting a year sucks for anyone in any sport, but Christ.... Get over it!

Edited by LemonPie

Get over what? I'm not even an Iowa fan. I'm a fan of wrestling and wrestling alone. I think people are desperate to crucify people they don't like in this sport and that is why wrestlino is struggling. Who cares if Iowa won't wrestle Virginia tech in a meaningless dual that the nwca wants to make a big deal of to make money. Was the Iowa edinboro dual anymore one sided that the "national championship" dual?

Edited by rcoates1

Get over what? I'm not even an Iowa fan. I'm a fan of wrestling and wrestling alone. I think people are desperate to crucify people they don't like in this sport and that is why wrestlino is struggling. Who cares if Iowa won't wrestle Virginia tech in a meaningless dual that the nwca wants to make a big deal of to make money. Was the Iowa edinboro dual anymore one sided that the "national championship" dual?[/quot

The NWCA isn't making money. They need sponsors just to keep going. Whether you think the Duals sponsored by the NWCA were meaningless, almost all the matches were sold out and thousands more saw them live via Track and Flow. It was a great weekend for College Wrestling! When Iowa wrestled Edinboro, the Iowa kids definitely wrestled that the bout meant something.

Get over what? I'm not even an Iowa fan. I'm a fan of wrestling and wrestling alone. I think people are desperate to crucify people they don't like in this sport and that is why wrestlino is struggling. Who cares if Iowa won't wrestle Virginia tech in a meaningless dual that the nwca wants to make a big deal of to make money. Was the Iowa edinboro dual anymore one sided that the "national championship" dual?[/quot

The NWCA isn't making money. They need sponsors just to keep going. Whether you think the Duals sponsored by the NWCA were meaningless, almost all the matches were sold out and thousands more saw them live via Track and Flow. It was a great weekend for College Wrestling! When Iowa wrestled Edinboro, the Iowa kids definitely wrestled that the bout meant something.

How'd you get your hands on their financials? I'd like to see them as well. I agree that it was a fun weekend to watch wrestling there were many great matches and some wild upsets which is good for the sport. If one of the universities near me had hosted one I would have went as well just to see a B1G team that we wouldn't get to see normally.

I think you are saying that 'Cael's Idea', as some have deemed it, worked. 

It appears his beef is with Virginia Tech the institution.  

EDIT:  Sigh.  I don't want to get into this again.  Suffice it to say, I thought it was ridiculous to deny their releases for no reason other than spite.

Edited by VakAttack

IT was Cael's idea.

It was a decent idea to be fair, except like last year when we never really knew who the best team in the Big 10 was.

This year it worked well until Brands did his thing.

When the Coaches in the Coach's association start doing what is best for the collective group then ultimately the sport the event will be better yet.

Not sure who's idea it was. Giving credit is not what this is all about. The concept is fantastic! Hopefully next year a major network will pick up 1 against 2.

WRESTLING IS CIVILIZATION'S OLDEST AND GREATEST SPORT

Okay, let's credit the Greeks!

College basketball and football players sit automatically unless a scandal takes place or it's a grad transfer. They must think wrestlers are soft.

ISU released one wrestler to Cael. A senior who happened to be his brother. Brown left for a mission and Long came aboard the following year after he was kicked off the team.

Taylor was released from his LOI... Just like Billy Murphy was released from his LOI by VT.

I'm all for empowering student athletes and think sitting a year sucks for anyone in any sport, but Christ.... Get over it!

VA Tech released no one, including Billy Murphy, whose LOI was invalid.

Not sure who's idea it was. Giving credit is not what this is all about. The concept is fantastic! Hopefully next year a major network will pick up 1 against 2.

WRESTLING IS CIVILIZATION'S OLDEST AND GREATEST SPORT

Okay, let's credit the Greeks!

1 versus 2 is not guaranteed in the bowl system.

Brands won't want to look chicken. He'll beat ISU during their rebuilding years. After that the rivalry will be similar to when it was Gibbons v Gable in the mid-80's. The final scores will tighten a lot, no more blow outs.

I believe Billy Murphy's NLI wasn't signed by his legal guardian, if I remember correctly.

I believe you are correct here. Possibly done on purpose, but that is speculation on my part.

I do however know for sure that Brands was recruiting VT wrestlers to follow him to Iowa while being paid by VT. He took the athletes he was interested in out to dinner to discuss what was happening after he knew for sure he was headed back to Iowa. All but one of the wrestlers at that dinner followed him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to be friends with Billy and he is nowhere near smart enough to do what you have speculated he did.

Haha I believe that, just wondering if maybe he had help. Again I have no inside information on that just saying it is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by OrangeEffect