Sign in to follow this  
pamela

Singlet pulling

@Smedley brought this up a couple of times during the WC but I thought I'd reintroduce it in its own thread...  what's with all the singlet pulling in freestyle??

I don't know if the pulling has always been a thing or if it's just been more noticeable since Denis Tsargush got caught, but it seems to be growing rampant.  During the halfway break in David Taylor's last match at the World Cup, you can see his back scratched and scraped up near the straps due to the pulling.  IIRC, fans noticed a few grumbles of pulls in Rio last summer too.  

Why don't the referees whistle it?  Is it because the singlet pulling is usually incidental (is it?)? Or inconsequential and not worth calling (I don't think so)?  Or is the action just too difficult to spot?  I want to give the wrestlers the benefit of the doubt but it's hard to imagine that some don't employ "underhooks and singlet pull" as an actual strategy.

Edited by pamela

I think it was Snyder who had the entire back of his singlet ripped as well. He was a slight pull away from having his entire arse hanging out. Also I don't recall any points being given for this? Legal as a foot stomp?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Its a tricky issue. Personally I don't get too bent out of shape over these types of rule bending as I don't find the singlet grab as egregious as PEDs. I have noticed in the past few years that UWW refs will physically stop the oil check or butt plug tactic by slapping and in some cases trying to pull out the probing fingers/hand. I have a sneaky suspicion that UWW has certain areas of emphasis that they want their refs to focus on. As a wrestler I would rather have my singlet getting pulled than getting fisted, but do recognize that some others may prefer the later.

Only in America? Because this oil-checking-south-park-sh*t sure does not happen anywhere else.

Just a bit rapey, and plain weird.

Actually the only time I see refs doing anything about it is at events outside the US. I have no idea why it isn't a point of emphasis for the refs who do USA Wrestling events?

Personally, I love the singlet pull as a setup when it's not so blatant, like Haji Aliyev used to do, for example.

Great post TRO9050. In that video those guys are going beyond Tsargush. They are just reaching up and grabbing the straps like a handle and hanging on for 10 seconds or more sometimes. At least Tsargush tried to hide it and would just grab at the last second as he was shooting. Interesting how the ref just warns the guy even after a blatant pull, with no penalty.

Two things about the above two videos.

1. If you are posting to refer to a specific action in an 11 minute match, it is very helpful to post the time the the pulling of the singlet happens.

2. As much as I love watching all styles of wrestling, including Greco at the high school and junior level, these two videos reminded me how incredibly boring Greco is at the senior world class level. So much pushing with almost no attempts to throw.

Its a tricky issue. Personally I don't get too bent out of shape over these types of rule bending as I don't find the singlet grab as egregious as PEDs. I have noticed in the past few years that UWW refs will physically stop the oil check or butt plug tactic by slapping and in some cases trying to pull out the probing fingers/hand. I have a sneaky suspicion that UWW has certain areas of emphasis that they want their refs to focus on. As a wrestler I would rather have my singlet getting pulled than getting fisted, but do recognize that some others may prefer the later.

Singlet grabs and PEDs are not apples-to-apples, so, not sure that's worth debating. Foot step might be close to singlet grab, but I thought we established that's technically stepping on a foot is not illegal as long as it's not a foot stomp. I think the refs, intl and domestic, should call singlet grabs more, I see it (and photograph it) all the time. Definitely worse internationally, our guys are pretty good with a few exceptions, who I won't name. 

I have not seen officials stop oil checks very often, maybe once or twice. They should at least penalize it more.

Not sure one or the other is the way to approach it. Both should be addressed. 

Singlet grabs and PEDs are not apples-to-apples, so, not sure that's worth debating. Foot step might be close to singlet grab, but I thought we established that's technically stepping on a foot is not illegal as long as it's not a foot stomp. I think the refs, intl and domestic, should call singlet grabs more, I see it (and photograph it) all the time. Definitely worse internationally, our guys are pretty good with a few exceptions, who I won't name. 

I have not seen officials stop oil checks very often, maybe once or twice. They should at least penalize it more.

Not sure one or the other is the way to approach it. Both should be addressed.

I have no idea what "oil checks" are but can use my imagination, and am shocked that it's an actual thing wrestlers do internationally!