Sign in to follow this  
bigtenfan

Gabe Dean's "BIG" Disadvantage

I'm not predicting Gabe Dean loses to Bo Nickal. However he has one distinct disadvantage. Wrestling in the EIWA, Dean coukd coast to the NCAA tournament undefeated. He had one ranked match since the scuffle. I am extremely concerned that he is not going to be as sharp as Nickal will be by the time they wrestle.

I've always been of the mindset that guys who go through the meat grinder of the big ten schedule and come out on top are way more prepared to win an NCAA title.

Dean's next tough match might be at the NCAA semi finals.

Edited by bigtenfan

This match, should it happen like so many think it will, reminds me of Dustin Kilgore vs. Quentin Wright. Partly for the reason you stated, and partly because Kilgore was like a block of granite and technically sound as well while Wright had a lot of different types of moves he brought to the table. 

Says the Big ten fan, I'm taking Dean in this one.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Doesn't mean I'm not objective. I am actually rooting for Dean because I'd like to see some semblance of parity in college wrestling but his schedule is not one that gives me confidence in March. He's beating up on Ivy League wrestlers. Guys ranked 100+ on wrestlestat. That's not the kind of competition that keeps you in peak form. He had a great beginning of the season but absolutely no competition since then.

This match, should it happen like so many think it will, reminds me of Dustin Kilgore vs. Quentin Wright. Partly for the reason you stated, and partly because Kilgore was like a block of granite and technically sound as well while Wright had a lot of different types of moves he brought to the table. 

Why does the match have to happen for you it to remind you of something? 

I'm not predicting Gabe Dean loses to Bo Nickal. However he has one distinct disadvantage. Wrestling in the EIWA, Dean coukd coast to the NCAA tournament undefeated. He had one ranked match since the scuffle. I am extremely concerned that he is not going to be as sharp as Nickal will be by the time they wrestle.

I've always been of the mindset that guys who go through the meat grinder of the big ten schedule and come out on top are way more prepared to win an NCAA title.

Dean's next tough match might be at the NCAA semi finals.

How in heaven's name did Dean manage in 2016, and in 2015, to win the NCAAs by coasting the final month(s)?  And Nahshon last year?  And Dake oh so many years ago?

What is different this year?

Gabe Dean has wrestled 5 top 10 opponents, Nickal has wrestled 4.  If the B1G 184 all wrestles to seed, Nickal will wrestle 2 more for a total of 6.  Not sure how that makes him more battle ready to win than the guy that has one the last 2 NCAA's wrestling in the same conference the whole time....................

I keep thinking that as a freshman Dean beat Ruth - lack of competition (or even great experience) didn't seem to matter. Dean's technique has done nothing but get better. Bo is a different animal than Ruth, but I don't see Dean making the mistakes that Bo feeds on. I'd be happy to see Bo pull it off but .... sheesh. A tough out if ever there was one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Gabe Dean has wrestled 5 top 10 opponents, Nickal has wrestled 4. If the B1G 184 all wrestles to seed, Nickal will wrestle 2 more for a total of 6. Not sure how that makes him more battle ready to win than the guy that has one the last 2 NCAA's wrestling in the same conference the whole time....................

Yeah I'm more talking about peaking at the right time. Dean had a harder first half of a season (by far... Penn state went away and hid until 2017). I'm just seeing a guy in Nickal who is wrestling big match after big match lately. I don't think Dean is unqualified or incapable of winning... what my post was trying to say is he is at a disadvantage by not wrestling in a tough conference.

Two differing philosophies on scheduling.

Dean's academic stress is at it's peak in late January, stated in the Flo Documentary on Dake.

That and mandated Ivy League schedule make it what it is.

Cornell has a pretty good success rate at crowning champs despite your perceived "disadvantage", and over plenty of Big 10 opponents.

Do I need to list them?

That is cuz' it doesn't exist.

Travis Lee 2x ( Fleeger, 2nd one against Bunch of Edinboro)

Jordan Leen (Poeta)

Troy Nickerson (Donahoe when at Nebraska)

Kyle Dake 4x (All Big 10 opponents: Marion, Molinaro, St. John, Taylor)

Steve Bosak (Wright)

Cam Simaz (Honeycutt of Edinboro)

Gabe Dean (Brown of Lehigh)

Nashon Garrett (Clark)

It might actually be an advantage.

hey now I mentioned the QW/Kilgore similarities way back. 

Doesn't mean I'm not objective. I am actually rooting for Dean because I'd like to see some semblance of parity in college wrestling but his schedule is not one that gives me confidence in March. He's beating up on Ivy League wrestlers. Guys ranked 100+ on wrestlestat. That's not the kind of competition that keeps you in peak form. He had a great beginning of the season but absolutely no competition since then.

...just 2 days ago

Plus Cornell only wrestles five Ivy Leagues schools each season and most of their wrestlers will have 30+ matches. Since Jan 1 their non-conf duals have included Missouri, Lehigh, and Ohio State. Any issues are certainly not related to lack of competition.

Plus Cornell only wrestles five Ivy Leagues schools each season and most of their wrestlers will have 30+ matches. Since Jan 1 their non-conf duals have included Missouri, Lehigh, and Ohio State. Any issues are certainly not related to lack of competition.

Between Realbuto at 174 and Honis/Anderson/Scott at 197, I would think Gabe wrestles with FLWC members Max Dean at 184 and Darmstadt at 197.  Probably rolls around with Hahn, too.

(in an interview, Realbuto said he occasionally gets a takedown against Dean...)

I really wouldn't describe Kilgore as technically sound.  He was physically overwhelming and offensively talented, but he had holes technically.

For the record I never said he wasn't a better wrestler than Nickal.

And let's not cherry pick the times the Ivy's have beaten Big Ten schools as there are so many more big ten NCAA champs than any other conference. That's just crazy.

Edit: I might add, I don't think Cornell wrestlers are bad or anything... I'm saying when the wrestlers are even or close to even that's something that I give credence to. I believe in this case these two wrestlers are even. Also in case you didn't realize the "BIG" in the title was clearly a reference to big ten not a HUGE disadvantage.

Edited by bigtenfan

bigtenfan -- but you can't ignore the fact that Cornell has been putting wrestlers at the top of the podium on a fairly consistent basis.  They've got a formula that is working.  

You are saying folks are cherry picking ... no, they aren't.  They are showing facts that say that perhaps your hypothesis isn't correct for Cornell wrestlers.