Sign in to follow this  
SWGhetto

told you he was a punk

When KJ took the job I came out on this forum and told you i didn't think he would be a good head coach and gave examples of his unprofessional behavior that I witnessed as a attendee at JROB camp when he was a counselor.  This behavior was sexist, bad conduct (language, dirty jokes, etc.) around campers and just straight up unprofessional from what you would expect from an adult who is working with your kid.  Of course I was flamed and told that I was just a camper with an ax to grind.  Here I am several years later to say "told you so" and I am pretty sure I am more successful at my job than KJ was at his and I definitely hold a higher degree of professionalism.   Here is hoping that KJ can report to his new administrator job wearing sweat pants.

Edited by SWGhetto

I don't know anything about Kevin Jackson as a person.  I know that he was a great wrestler and that's about it.   

However, as a wrestling coach, KJ presided over maybe the worst stretch ever for the USA Wrestling men's freestyle team and his tenure at Iowa State is ending with the program a veritable dumpster fire. 

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

I don't know anything about Kevin Jackson as a person.  I know that he was a great wrestler and that's about it.   

However, as a wrestling coach, KJ presided over maybe the worst stretch ever for the USA Wrestling men's freestyle team and his tenure at Iowa State is ending with the program a veritable dumpster fire. 

I don't dispute this, but that's not fair.  Sanderson, Abas, and Kelly all retired after 2004 in their mid 20s.  There was no talent in the system.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

He wasn't a great coach, possibly not even good.  Don't see how that makes him a "punk."  Need a lot more evidence than your camp experience to validate this.  Anyone else out there with proof the man is a "punk" and not just a poor coach?

This article about Quean Smith and his struggles with his learning disorder and how KJ handled it definitely show how much of a punk he his.

http://cyclones.com/news/2016/12/20/wrestling-quean-smiths-journey-to-an-iowa-state-degree.aspx

Also, I really don't believe he was a bad coach.  I simply think he took a shot at a significant amount of troubled youths.  You have the good stories like Quean Smith(although he has had little success as a wrestler) he graduated with a significant learning disorder.  You then have PD3 who refused to change.  All that said, he made sure to have a pretty strict disciplinary policy, even letting Andrew Long go.  Results may be questioned, but his integrity stands firmly intact by everything I have read and seen.

Edited by MSU158

This article about Quean Smith and his struggles with his learning disorder and how KJ handled it definitely show how much of a punk he his.

http://cyclones.com/news/2016/12/20/wrestling-quean-smiths-journey-to-an-iowa-state-degree.aspx

Read this earlier--great story about sticking with a kid most would have given up on.  I know people who have wrestled for him and think the world of him.

When KJ took the job I came out on this forum and told you i didn't think he would be a good head coach and gave examples of his unprofessional behavior that I witnessed as a attendee at JROB camp when he was a counselor.  This behavior was sexist, bad conduct (language, dirty jokes, etc.) around campers and just straight up unprofessional from what you would expect from an adult who is working with your kid.  Of course I was flamed and told that I was just a camper with an ax to grind.  Here I am several years later to say "told you so" and I am pretty sure I am more successful at my job than KJ was at his and I definitely hold a higher degree of professionalism.   Here is hoping that KJ can report to his new administrator job wearing sweat pants.

Have you seen our president?

A lot of his former athletes seem to be going out of their way to compliment him. Some all-star athletes simply don't make great coaches, glad to see ISU keeping him at the school.

. KJ has 1 year left on his contract. After that there are no guarantees he will be at ISU

I would like to congratulate you on being correct once since 2009