Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Let's talk Hodge (again)

Flo just posted their pre-conference Hodge rankings:

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/52443-updated-pre-conference-hodge-rankings#.WLBZH0UrKAw

My view is that it's a two man race between (1) Nolf and (2) the winner of 184 with the winner of 184 having the edge due to the quality of competition. 

Flo just posted their pre-conference Hodge rankings:

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/52443-updated-pre-conference-hodge-rankings#.WLBZH0UrKAw

My view is that it's a two man race between (1) Nolf and (2) the winner of 184 with the winner of 184 having the edge due to the quality of competition.

So, you mean it is a three man race. But you really mean it is a two man race between Nickal and Dean. I agree.

Nolf won't get it unless Bo and Dean lose

Even then, Zain could get it if he bonuses through NCAAs

And honestly Snyder may get it. He has a 100% bonus rate. If he does that all the way through NCAAs he will be 17-0...

Didn't Heil and Retherford both disqualify themselves last weekend?  

I know its not directly listed in the criteria, but it seems important to at least attempt an offensive move at some point during a 7 minute match, Hodge never wrestled like that.  

It's a disadvantage for Nolf that the rest of the weight just doesn't stack up. He is so dominant that he won't have any "key wins"  like Dean or Nickal will as they both should have wins against Myles(NCAA Champ), Dudley(NCAA Finalist), and the other to really bolster their resumes in comparison to Nolf.

I think my biggest takeaway is the fact that 3 out of the top 4 candidates for the hodge are on the same team.  Even though I bleed black and gold, I commend coach sanderson in a big way for that.  

Has this happened in the past?  I can think of Ruth/Taylor being up there but can't really think of a third during those years.  is there a third contendor to perry/metcalf?  Interested to hear folks' thoughts on this!

Nolf won't get it unless Bo and Dean lose

Even then, Zain could get it if he bonuses through NCAAs

And honestly Snyder may get it. He has a 100% bonus rate. If he does that all the way through NCAAs he will be 17-0...

Snyder lost two duals for tOSU this year.

Snyder lost two duals for tOSU this year.

No, Kyle Snyder did not lose the duals. The team lost them. Even if he had not wrestled in much tougher International tournaments at the time he may have come down with a cold, flu or other illness. Maybe twisted and ankle.

The upside of having a World and Olympic Champion on the team is much greater than the team losing two dual meets.

His Coach giving him the freedom to wrestle both Varsity and International matches only helps the team overall. His coming back with big wins from the biggest stage is positive all the way for the Ohio State University wrestling team as well as the whole School.

No, Kyle Snyder did not lose the duals. The team lost them. Even if he had not wrestled in much tougher International tournaments at the time he may have come down with a cold, flu or other illness. Maybe twisted and ankle.

The upside of having a World and Olympic Champion on the team is much greater than the team losing two dual meets.

His Coach giving him the freedom to wrestle both Varsity and International matches only helps the team overall. His coming back with big wins from the biggest stage is positive all the way for the Ohio State University wrestling team as well as the whole School.

Hear you Willie but just don't like what happened. I think a bad message was sent. As a coach, my theme was you are either with us, or you're not on the team. I also never gave a superior athlete any special treatment. One year I kicked a State Champ off the team. Can you imagine if the starting quarterback for USC skipped the Rose Bowl to compete in another athletic activity?

Didn't Heil and Retherford both disqualify themselves last weekend?  

I know its not directly listed in the criteria, but it seems important to at least attempt an offensive move at some point during a 7 minute match, Hodge never wrestled like that.  

That is not a Hodge criteria

If Retherford bonuses his way through NCAAs, you don't think he deserve to be in the conversation?

I don't think Heil was ever in the conversation. He is a great wrestler, but doesn't have nearly the bonus to compete with the Hodge contenders.

Hear you Willie but just don't like what happened. I think a bad message was sent. As a coach, my theme was you are either with us, or you're not on the team. I also never gave a superior athlete any special treatment. One year I kicked a State Champ off the team. Can you imagine if the starting quarterback for USC skipped the Rose Bowl to compete in another athletic activity?

This is hardly a comparable situation. It's more like a MLB player missing a regular season game to go play in the World Baseball Classic..

I couldn't disagree more.  Snyder is the representative for the U.S. world team.  You're saying he has to pick between the U.S. team and tOSU's team?  That's absurd.  If forced to choose, he'd probably pick the U.S. team.  But at least he is giving of himself what he can, and he'll be there in March when it counts.  Absolutely no good comes to anyone of telling Snyder that he's not allowed to compete for tOSU unless he abandons his U.S. team responsibilities.

Its not about giving superior athletes special treatment -- its about managing the competing obligations that your wrestlers face, many of which are legitimate.  On my high school wrestling team (like most other teams), about 1/3 of the team played football and didn't join the wrestling team until the football season was over, which was about 6 weeks into wrestling.  I'm guessing that if you were coach, you'd have kicked those guys off the team.

You have to see the difference here.

Kyle is representing America at the most important events in the world. We/tOSU is lucky that he is competing in college at all. Would you rather him not compete in college? Do you really think that would be a good thing?

And your comparison is silly. I'm sure you can see the difference.