Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Let's talk Hodge (again)

If Dean loses I predict it will be Nolf assuming he maintains the current pace. Martinez will get it next year when he wins his 4th title. Two years from now is still a bit far out to know who all will be in the running, Nolf and Nickal of course but could be others.   

Who is Jason Ness?

All-time Pins

01) 107 Gene Mills

02) 106 Wade Schalles

03) 94 Larry Bielenberg

04) 91 Ben Askren

05) 87 Howard Harris

t6) 76 Hudson Taylor

t6) 76 Dan Gable

t8) 73 Jayson Ness

t8) 73 Ed Banach

t8) 73 Dan Severn

11) 71 Stephen Neal

12) 69 Taylor Walsh

13) 68 Scott Moore

14) 67 Mike Land

t15) 66 Corey Olson

t15) 66 Len Kauffman

Edited by jammen

All-time Pins

01) 107 Gene Mills

02) 106 Wade Schalles

03) 94 Larry Bielenberg

04) 91 Ben Askren

05) 87 Howard Harris

t6) 76 Hudson Taylor

t6) 76 Dan Gable

t8) 73 Jayson Ness

t8) 73 Ed Banach

t8) 73 Dan Severn

11) 71 Stephen Neal

12) 69 Taylor Walsh

13) 68 Scott Moore

14) 67 Mike Land

t15) 66 Corey Olson

t15) 66 Len Kauffman

Still don't see Jason Ness

Flo just posted their pre-conference Hodge rankings:

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/52443-updated-pre-conference-hodge-rankings#.WLBZH0UrKAw

My view is that it's a two man race between (1) Nolf and (2) the winner of 184 with the winner of 184 having the edge due to the quality of competition. 

I would think Dean is the favorite.  If Dean happens to lose to Nickal in the Finals, I would actually think Nickal before Nolf. 

Nolf won't get it unless Bo and Dean lose

Even then, Zain could get it if he bonuses through NCAAs

And honestly Snyder may get it. He has a 100% bonus rate. If he does that all the way through NCAAs he will be 17-0...

I wouldn't put Zain over Nolf if Nolf never has a close one.  Zain has had two that was real close (like he wasn't in control), so I think this would disqualify Zain over Nolf. 

In regard to Snyder--he needs to wrestle more.  If he bonuses through the Finals, then I guess he may have a case. 

If Dean and Nickal are both undefeated in the finals, then the winner of that match should take it.  157 is just too weak.  Imar makes a decent case, but I would still go with Dean/Nickal winner. 

Imar had a close win against a Freshman (or two) and almost lost against Walsh (good thing for his strength and a reluctant official).  He is great, but less impressive than Nolf, Dean, Nickal, and Snyder. 

Hear you Willie but just don't like what happened. I think a bad message was sent. As a coach, my theme was you are either with us, or you're not on the team. I also never gave a superior athlete any special treatment. One year I kicked a State Champ off the team. Can you imagine if the starting quarterback for USC skipped the Rose Bowl to compete in another athletic activity?

Wow, when you put it like that, that would be terrible!    Do you use that analogy, because Snyder is skipping NCAA's or something?  

Hear you Willie but just don't like what happened. I think a bad message was sent. As a coach, my theme was you are either with us, or you're not on the team. I also never gave a superior athlete any special treatment. One year I kicked a State Champ off the team. Can you imagine if the starting quarterback for USC skipped the Rose Bowl to compete in another athletic activity?

How many Olympic and world champions did you coach? Tom Ryan has coached two. How many team NCAA titles have you won? Tom Ryan has won one. Maybe his philosophy is better than yours.

Wrestling at its core is an individual sport. Never forget that.

Edited by Billyhoyle

barring some big upset/upsets the Hodge goes to the 184 weight group.... imo

Also imo......... Snyder has NO place in this discussion. No matter how well he does in free, it should have zero impact on folk awards.

Additionally, IF Snyder is on school money Ryan should be requiring him to be in the lineup......just my opinion.

Kyle Snyder is head and shoulders everyone else.  It would greatly diminish this award if he doesn't win it.

If it was a best wrestler award I'd give it to him even if only Folk is considered.  He's begun pinning, and that was the only argument against him being the best before.  He is orders of magnitude better than any other NCAA wrestler right now.

The Hodge isn't the best active NCAA wrestler award though.  Snyder chose to miss half the matches because he cares about bigger things.  If he cared most about winning the Hodge he would have won it.  But I don't think you give him the award because he could have done it if he wanted to.  You give it to the guy who deserves it according to the criteria.  And Kyle can console himself with his Olympic Gold medal.