Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Let's talk Hodge (again)

barring some big upset/upsets the Hodge goes to the 184 weight group.... imo

Also imo......... Snyder has NO place in this discussion. No matter how well he does in free, it should have zero impact on folk awards.

Additionally, IF Snyder is on school money Ryan should be requiring him to be in the lineup......just my opinion.

If Ryan said that and Snyder stuck to free, you really think they could use the money better? Cmon

Hear you Willie but just don't like what happened. I think a bad message was sent. As a coach, my theme was you are either with us, or you're not on the team. I also never gave a superior athlete any special treatment. One year I kicked a State Champ off the team. Can you imagine if the starting quarterback for USC skipped the Rose Bowl to compete in another athletic activity?

If he skipped the Rose Bowl to play in the Super Bowl then I don't think anyone would blame him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hear you Willie but just don't like what happened. I think a bad message was sent. As a coach, my theme was you are either with us, or you're not on the team. I also never gave a superior athlete any special treatment. One year I kicked a State Champ off the team. Can you imagine if the starting quarterback for USC skipped the Rose Bowl to compete in another athletic activity?

The most absurd thing I've read regarding this situation.  Did your state champ get kicked off for missing a dual because he was wrestling at one of the most elite international tournaments in the world?  Kyle Snyder is 100% with his team and it has been stated multiple times that if dual meets had impact on team National Champions then he would have been in the lineup.  

Some people just cannot be pleased.  Wrestling needs more super stars...See Kyle Snyder.  Wrestling needs more good publicity...See Kyle Snyder.  Wrestling needs their top level college athletes to keep competing for the USA...See Kyle Snyder.  

How anyone can say something negative about what Snyder is doing is crazy to me.

How many Olympic and world champions did you coach? Tom Ryan has coached two. How many team NCAA titles have you won? Tom Ryan has won one. Maybe his philosophy is better than yours.

Wrestling at its core is an individual sport. Never forget that.

Tom Ryan has also coached a true freshman National Champion!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The most absurd thing I've read regarding this situation.

I'm on your side on this and feel Snyder has earned special treatment. That said, his position is not absurd. Onion state needed Snyder more against Cornell in particular than the US needed him at the Yarigin. The choice was one of personal development over school spirit. I totally get that Snyder would've wrestled for his school if duals mattered, but what message does something lien that send to the kids actually wrestling and representing their school? You don't matter?

Snyder is doing his school a huge favor forgoing many sponsorship opportunities and competing for them when he has absolutely zero left to prove in college. That said, let's not pretend that part of doing that involves making some selfish decisions, however small they may be in the grand scheme of things.

I honestly never thought we'd see Snyder in a tOSU single again after he won the Olympics, so the fact that he's competing for his school at all, even in a diminished capacity, for three seasons after winning Olympic gold is reason enough for me to appreciate his school spirit. That said, not competing at certain events is a selfish choice, however understandable it may be, and I don't have a problem if some guys think so.

I'm on your side on this and feel Snyder has earned special treatment. That said, his position is not absurd. Onion state needed Snyder more against Cornell in particular than the US needed him at the Yarigin. The choice was one of personal development over school spirit. I totally get that Snyder would've wrestled for his school if duals mattered, but what message does something lien that send to the kids actually wrestling and representing their school? You don't matter?

Snyder is doing his school a huge favor forgoing many sponsorship opportunities and competing for them when he has absolutely zero left to prove in college. That said, let's not pretend that part of doing that involves making some selfish decisions, however small they may be in the grand scheme of things.

I honestly never thought we'd see Snyder in a tOSU single again after he won the Olympics, so the fact that he's competing for his school at all, even in a diminished capacity, for three seasons after winning Olympic gold is reason enough for me to appreciate his school spirit. That said, not competing at certain events is a selfish choice, however understandable it may be, and I don't have a problem if some guys think so.

A decision that improves his abilities and potential as a wrestler is not a selfish decision. Snyder winning world titles does more for Ohio state wrestling than a dual win over Cornell.

Also, can this "onion state" thing become a meme. I like the sound of it.

Yeah, if Dean horses Nickal, it's Dean's. If Nickal horses Dean, it's Nickal's. Otherwise, it's Retherford's, but only if he goes on a tear at NCAAs.

If the reigning Olympic and NCAA champion goes 16-0 or 17-0 with 15 or 16 bonus point wins, he could unconditionally lose out to Bo Nickal?  Is this an award worth winning?

If the reigning Olympic and NCAA champion goes 16-0 or 17-0 with 15 or 16 bonus point wins, he could unconditionally lose out to Bo Nickal?  Is this an award worth winning?

Don't care who wins, I just want some Price Waterhouse flunky to hand the card naming the winner to Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway so they can announce it. 

Edited by TBar1977

9. Zahid Valencia, Arizona State (174)

Record: 30-0

Bonus Point Wins: 11 falls, 3 techs, 8 majors

Bonus Point Percentage: 73%

Elite Wins: No. 2 Brian Realbuto (3-2), No. 8 Ethan Ramos (11-10), No. 8 Ethan Ramos (2-1), No. 10 Myles Amine (4-3)

Commentary: Being undefeated at this point in the year is a real feat. It would require some meltdowns from a lot of guys for Valencia to become a Hodge finalist this year, but his bonus rate is very high for a freshman. His wins aren't tremendous at this point, and he is not dominating his tough competition in the way of many of those ranked ahead of him.

Zahid is unlikely to win it this year. He is amazing, but being a freshman counts against him. His bonus rate is high but the highest.

If Zain didn't win last year, don't see Zahid winning it

Unless of course someone hands the presenter the wrong envelope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see 4 people in the running at this point. 

If he wins out, Dean will win. 

If Nickal wins in the finals against Dean, he'll win. 

If Dean loses before the finals AND Nickal loses, then it opens the door for IMar or Nolf, the former being the more likely winner due to how tough his weight is in addition to it being his 3rd title. 

I see 4 people in the running at this point. 

If he wins out, Dean will win. 

If Nickal wins in the finals against Dean, he'll win

If Dean loses before the finals AND Nickal loses, then it opens the door for IMar or Nolf, the former being the more likely winner due to how tough his weight is in addition to it being his 3rd title. 

assuming he wins BIGs first, correct?  If Bo gets upset at BIGs, then comes back to knock off Dean at NCAAs, it would also open the door for IMAR, Nolf, or Zain.

assuming he wins BIGs first, correct?  If Bo gets upset at BIGs, then comes back to knock off Dean at NCAAs, it would also open the door for IMAR, Nolf, or Zain.

Correct. But if he doesn't win B1Gs, I think it's unlikely he'd get a 2 seed and would end on up Dean's side of the bracket anyway. 

Edited by PSUMike

I know pics can't confirm pins but damn, he was in that position at least half a dozen times in the span of 2.5 minutes. Talk about living dangerously....

Well except that if you zoom in (the view the ref would've had) neither his shoulders nor his scapulas are flat. Photos can't prove a pin, but this one does prove he wasn't pinned for this (need to know the camera shutter speed setting for exact time ref) fraction of a second.