Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Let's talk Hodge (again)

Not an expert on the Hodge trophy.  I thought WIN magazine created it, so I went to their website (https://www.win-magazine.com/win-awards/hodge-trophy/) and read:
"The WIN Magazine/Culture House Dan Hodge Trophy, presented by ASICS, is considered the Heisman Trophy for amateur wrestling and has been presented to the nation’s best wrestler since 1995."
If not 'best', is there a better definition somewhere?  Wikipedia also uses the word 'best', but it is notoriously unreliable. 

1. Record 2. Number of pins 3. Dominance 4. Past credentials 5. Quality of competition 6. Sportsmanship/citizenship 7. Heart

These are the criteria from WIN.  It is heavily weighted towards pins, and the first criteria is record.  They have shown a willingness to ignore/interpret the criteria as needed, so who knows who the winner will be.  

1. Record 2. Number of pins 3. Dominance 4. Past credentials 5. Quality of competition 6. Sportsmanship/citizenship 7. Heart

These are the criteria from WIN.  It is heavily weighted towards pins, and the first criteria is record.  They have shown a willingness to ignore/interpret the criteria as needed, so who knows who the winner will be.  

I don't think anyone can answer the question "what is the Hodge Trophy criteria really and how is it weighted. The answer is politics breaks close races. Not even WIN themselves or ASICS knows it appears. Some would say best wrestler in college unless your a behind the scenes wrestling geek. Some would say most pins. Some would say something else.  After reading reading posts over the years on this stating it is not the Heisman trophy of wrestling over 1000 times it is funny to see it defined as the Heisman or best wrestler award for that season. So according to the website Snyder should win and Varner and Gavin can get their trophies from Ness and Metcalf. Ha:-)

Ness had 2x as many pins as Varner. Ha :-)

Yes but Varner dominated the NCAA tourney. Ness easily could have lost in the semis and especially the finals. Was outwrestled in both of those matches. He found a way to win but cmon. Jake Varner horsed his way through that event FALL, FALL, MAJ, MAJ, DEC and was undefeated that year with no close matches with a decent amount of pins was defending champ and 4 time finalist. Just admit WIN made a mistake and we will be fine:-) Was a clear separation between Ness and Varner. And don't get me started about an undefeated Gavin not winning when the guy who won got banana splitted and stuck.

Edited by PRyan2012

1. Record.  

Both finished 31-0.

Ness finished with 148 career wins vs 121 for Varner

2. Number of pins.  

Ness finished with 19 vs 10 for Varner.  

Ness finished with 73 career pins vs 42 for Varner.  

Started year pinning first 8 opponents, 13 of 16 opponents.

5. Quality of competition

Ness' bracket included Jordan Oliver, a 3x champ, Dennis and Gomez, Olympians.  Varner's included Brester, Yohn, Simaz.

7. Heart

Ness showed a lot of heart to overcome the blow to the head.  Maybe the first time criteria #7 came into play?

Edited by headshuck

Yes but Varner dominated the NCAA tourney. Ness easily could have lost in the semis and especially the finals. Was outwrestled in both of those matches. He found a way to win but cmon. Jake Varner horsed his way through that event FALL, FALL, MAJ, MAJ, DEC and was undefeated that year with no close matches with a decent amount of pins was defending champ and 4 time finalist. Just admit WIN made a mistake and we will be fine:-) Was a clear separation between Ness and Varner. And don't get me started about an undefeated Gavin not winning when the guy who won got banana splitted and stuck.

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/pdf/brackets/NCAA%202010.pdf

we talking about this year for Varner?

Happy to let it go until next year when you bring it up again!   Let's start planning the 10-year anniversary.

Hahaha. It was not just me feeling this way. Will be 8th year anniversary but who is counting:-) Gavin shouldn't be forgotten either and should be brought up once a year also:-)

I'm saying that wrestling 9 matches all else equal is lower quality competition. 

not if you missed the other matches because you were in Siberia wrestling the best wrestlers on earth.

Snyder might be the most amazing competitor in the history of USA Wrestling. I don't mind people saying he shouldn't get the hodge, but not because of his weak schedule. 

I am sorry, but this is almost the same as Tom Brady to me.  He missed a quarter of the season so that took him out of the MVP race.  The same holds true for Snyder.  Regardless of what he was doing OUTSIDE of DI competition, he actually missed more than 25% of his team's scheduled competition.  Giving it to him when someone else was even close to as dominant for the ENTIRE season is an insult.

Is that even a remote chance? Honestly? About a 5% chance

I am never correct but,,,,, With as tough as that weight class is, there is no room for a bad day.  I really feel there will be an upset.  If not, I would support the winner, or Synder, or Cox all three would be a great choice.