Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Let's talk Hodge (again)

If Nolf keeps his pace he should easily win it if both Dean and Nickal falter.  Nolf is currently 19-0 with 11 pins, 6 techs a 15-7 major and a 9-4 win.  If he ends up 28-0 with 16 pins, 9 techs, 2 majors and a 9-4 win over the #2 ranked wrestler, He will have had one of the most dominant seasons in NCAA history!

Nickal could get knocked off by a fairly random person. He's amazing for the sport, wonderful competitor, complete daredevil...but if he gives up a random 6 pointer there is no guarantee he can make up the deficit against a determined d1 wrestler. 

I am not gonna predict it at any point but if all the 'BO goes down?!?!?!?" drama hits its the dopes who will be making the most noise. 

Unless Cox dominates his way through NCAA's his season stats aren't good enough, regardless of his history, to jump a majority of the other undefeated wrestlers.  He currently has 3 pins in 20 matches.  Even if you had his 6 TF's, that is still less than 50% of his matches.  In contrast, Dean has 20 out of 25, Nickal has 13 of 18(all are pins), Nolf has 17 of 19, Retherford has 15 of 19, Martinez has 15 of 23 and Gilman has 16 of 24.

There are too many guys undefeated with a very high level of pins and TF's.  If this doesn't sort out by Saturday night, I don't see how Cox gets it, or Snyder for that matter.

Coxs' problem is that he's the poor mans snyder. His qualifications are the same but worse, and he's much more likely to get knocked off. So why talk about him?

Additionally I'd add that even though I am in the Snyder for Hodge camp, if he got knocked off I would not be in the Cox for Hodge camp unless he had a great NCAA tournament, despite the arguments being identical. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

If Dean and Nickal are both undefeated in the finals, then the winner of that match should take it. 157 is just too weak. Imar makes a decent case, but I would still go with Dean/Nickal winner.

This is where my thinking is too, and deservedly so. They are both great scorers and just go after it.

I think Snyder might be the dark horse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They once gave it to a guy with 4 losses on the season.   

This thing can go to anyone they want.    

I love Snyder but it's ridiculous to think that he could win the Hodge given how few matches he wrestled. It's ridiculous to think that "quality of competition" doesn't include having competed a full and complete (or almost complete) season. Being 30-0 or 25-0 or whatever and 0. Look it, according to wrestlestat.com

Snyder: 9-0

Valencia: 33-0

IMart: 23-0

Dean: 26-0

Nickal: 18-0

Nolf: 19-0

Zain: 19-0

He's wrestled half as many matches as nay of the other and the PSU guys haven't wrestled that many for a regular season, though some of that has to do with getting snowed out in December. 

Is that even a remote chance? Honestly? About a 5% chance

Dean is a virtual lock to be in the Finals.  Although Nickal has looked great and has wrestled smart, in the back of my mind I wonder if he can still lose to a lesser wrestler by being a bit sloppy.  This said, I see Dean vs Nickal and I give Nickal a decent shot. 

SO if Nickal wins and Cox wins. I may vote for Cox mainly for him being a 3 timer. I totally forgot about him for some reason.

Wow, is the Hodge a career achievement award?

To be fair, at his weight class Cox is kind of on another level above anyone not named Pfarr.

Depending on your perspective, it could be argued that Cox is dominant (although in a low scoring way.) When you watch Cox winning by 1 or 2 pts in the 3rd, are you really thinking that the other guy is going to catch him in something and get an upset?

... yeah, me neither.

He's no Dean, I-Mart, Nolf, or Retherford in terms of scoring points. But it's hard to argue that he isn't dominant in his weight class - just in a different way.

Well we have two Olympians that metaled.  They both deserve our recognition as being better than everyone else.  I say we give it to both of them whether it is right or not.  If we have to choose one, Synder because of the gold, or Cox because he wrestled NCAA all year.  It's a toss up, but it should be one of them and I do have a vote.

To be fair, at his weight class Cox is kind of on another level above anyone not named Pfarr.

Depending on your perspective, it could be argued that Cox is dominant (although in a low scoring way.) When you watch Cox winning by 1 or 2 pts in the 3rd, are you really thinking that the other guy is going to catch him in something and get an upset?

... yeah, me neither.

He's no Dean, I-Mart, Nolf, or Retherford in terms of scoring points. But it's hard to argue that he isn't dominant in his weight class - just in a different way.

He didn't look like he was on another level the day he wrestled K Moore.

Well we have two Olympians that metaled.  They both deserve our recognition as being better than everyone else.  I say we give it to both of them whether it is right or not.  If we have to choose one, Synder because of the gold, or Cox because he wrestled NCAA all year.  It's a toss up, but it should be one of them and I do have a vote.

I think you just showed that the last thing the Hodge is about is what happened in this college year. 

Should I be nervous that someone that says "metaled" has a vote???

If you add my 100% does that make 200%? 

Depends on how you look at it.  You can never have more than 100% of something, but you can increase the value of something by more than 100%.  So, in this case, I say 200% sounds good!

Depends on how you look at it.  You can never have more than 100% of something, but you can increase the value of something by more than 100%.  So, in this case, I say 200% sounds good!

Come on now, we all know professional athletes can give up to 110%.