Sign in to follow this  
mvattivo

Penn State bounces back nicely

Character is shown with how you respond after getting knocked down. What an answer by PSU today. They shutout the 8th ranked team in the nation, getting big wins from Nico, Conaway & Brown. For those always attacking Cael, I think getting your team to respond this well two days after what had to be a devastating loss, shows that he does a good job of motivating his guys. I was worried about a major letdown today. Instead, it was the opposite.

results?

125: Nico by Fall over Delgado

133: Conaway decision Thomas 8-6

141: Pearsall decision Rodriguez 2-0

149: Alton decision Ervin 6-3

157: Alton major Nora 14-6

165: Taylor decision Polz 13-7

174: Brown decision Blanton 6-4

184: Ruth by fall over Dallago

197: Quentin decision 4-2

285: Lawson decision Lopez 9-4

PSU 37

Illinois 0

Just so I can be sure, do duals matter today or no? This weekend has been very confusing.

Looking to stir the pot some more? Just curious.

Just busting some chops. Lot of fans made sure to fire preemptive strikes before the Iowa dual about how little it mattered, and now the Penn State fans are fired up after their dominant win over Illinois. Kind of funny.

Just so I can be sure, do duals matter today or no? This weekend has been very confusing.

Looking to stir the pot some more? Just curious.

Just busting some chops. Lot of fans made sure to fire preemptive strikes before the Iowa dual about how little it mattered, and now the Penn State fans are fired up after their dominant win over Illinois. Kind of funny.

To me every match matters. I'd love to have more matches similar to the PSU Iowa atmosphere we witnessed. Obviously I was disappointed afterwards to see 3 chances slip away from us. The good thing is, we can get some revenge come March. Besides a few days throughout the year, I'm a fan of Brands. No matter the situation, he's one guy you ALWAYS want on your side.

Hopefully they find a way to iron this whole thing out and get all the top teams together.

I would also like to see at dual champ and a tourney champ crowned each year.

I honestly think that the top 4 teams this year could beat the others on any given day.

Individual tournament should decide who the individual weight champions are. Dual tournament should decide the team championship. That's been my opinion for a long time. Duals are a better measure of overall team strength. In the NCAA tournament, having a hole at a weight doesn't really hurt you that much. In a dual, it does. Just like other team sports, if you want to decide a teach championship, it should be in head to head competition.

To me, it doesn't make sense that, say, Penn State will beat Minnesota for the NCAA championship when a guy from Oklahoma State beats a guy from Minnesota. Just as a hypo.

Individual tournament should decide who the individual weight champions are. Dual tournament should decide the team championship. That's been my opinion for a long time. Duals are a better measure of overall team strength. In the NCAA tournament, having a hole at a weight doesn't really hurt you that much. In a dual, it does. Just like other team sports, if you want to decide a teach championship, it should be in head to head competition.

To me, it doesn't make sense that, say, Penn State will beat Minnesota for the NCAA championship when a guy from Oklahoma State beats a guy from Minnesota. Just as a hypo.

It's hard to do though beings it's such an individual sport. It's also one of them things were IA could beat PSU who could beat OK St who could beat IA. Who's the real #1 in that case? To measure overall strength, I think there are better ways to measure, ie, how many AA's, average finish, etc. I am in BIG favor of PSU competing at the duals, and while I won't argue Cael's beliefs, it stinks for the die hard fan that we are wrestling Rider and Rutgers while your having fun!

It's hard to do though beings it's such an individual sport. It's also one of them things were IA could beat PSU who could beat OK St who could beat IA. Who's the real #1 in that case? To measure overall strength, I think there are better ways to measure, ie, how many AA's, average finish, etc. I am in BIG favor of PSU competing at the duals, and while I won't argue Cael's beliefs, it stinks for the die hard fan that we are wrestling Rider and Rutgers while your having fun!

I understand, and I don't want to drag this thread into the same debate we had all summer. The champion, in that case, would be whoever won the tournament, which, as you point out, might depend on who gets seeded where. That's how it works in other sports, too.

I understand the "individual sport" argument, but then why crown a team champion at all?

This is a comment I can agree,"I understand the "individual sport" argument, but then why crown a team champion at all?" The NCAA's have nothing to do with teams except in the seeding of them. Even that seems to have improved over time. I do think the separation could be better but as the conferences are so disparate in size and quality it is a difficult task. Maybe the NCAA should hire some bookies to do the seeding. You know get an honest, unbiased line LOL

It's really not that hard to figure out. I think every match "matters" to an extent. I mean, both teams and all wrestlers are trying to win every match they wrestle. However, they really have no impact on the National Championship under the current format, so, the result of a dual has very little impact on who is standing on top as the national champion in March. As a Penn State fan, I was disappointed with the loss, but, it will be long forgotten IF PSU wins their third straight title in March.

In Pennsylvania, several years ago, they went to the two state championship team formats. One for the dual meet champions, which is decided by a team dual tournament. Then, the team champion of the State tournament is deemed the Tournament Team Champion. This works great, and is what I'd like to see the NCAA go to.