Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

NCAA championship host city after 2018

Cleveland next year and I don't believe they've done the selection process for the next cycle after that. Anyone have insight into candidate cities (other than St. Louis)? When do they make the selection for the next 5-year cycle?

Chi would be great!

I also noticed that Detroit has been getting some attention from basketball/March Madness. The city have a nice new arena in the works, an area revitalization going on with growing dining & entertainment options and is seated in a pretty easy-to-travel-to and wrestling-friendly part of the country. I don't know how Detroit compares with places like St. Louis or Chicago in terms of affordability but it might be an attractive option. 

Chi would be great!

I also noticed that Detroit has been getting some attention from basketball/March Madness. The city have a nice new arena in the works, an area revitalization going on with growing dining & entertainment options and is seated in a pretty easy-to-travel-to and wrestling-friendly part of the country. I don't know how Detroit compares with places like St. Louis or Chicago in terms of affordability but it might be an attractive option.

Lots of people are afraid of being in Detroit.

Lots of people are afraid of being in Detroit.

That's fairly ignorant. Downtown Detroit is great and much better than STL. Plenty of food options and the Detroit People Mover makes it easy to get around downtown. Both St. Louis and Cleveland have high violent crime rates, so I am not sure why people would be more afraid of Detroit.

That's fairly ignorant. Downtown Detroit is great and much better than STL. Plenty of food options and the Detroit People Mover makes it easy to get around downtown. Both St. Louis and Cleveland have high violent crime rates, so I am not sure why people would be more afraid of Detroit.

Dang.  What is up with MO? St. Louis number 1 in violent crime and KC number 7. Detroit is 2 and Cleveland 9, btw.

This is the 3rd thread like this in the past several months.

Does ANYBODY know when future sites will be announced ?

SHP, Pinnum, JB, anyone ?

Thanks for keeping us on topic. I was trying to get factual info., not asking people for their feelings on where they'd like it to be.

Well maybe you are the ignorant one. In a recent national poll Detroit is considered one of the least desirable places to visit. There are a few nice places but many folks just don't want to be in Detroit. Too bad there are no D1 programs in Florida!

Chicago would be great.

I would love a good climate tournament, but honestly there aren't enough teams on the west coast or in the south to justify it.  

I travel for work a lot, and the cost of travel across the country does not differ that much unless you are within a reasonable driving distance. An airline ticket for a 1 hour flight is only marginally less than a 5 hour flight and hotels all across this country can be found in the range of $100-$130 per night. 

Often times for a destination city like Las Vegas you can get great rates and airline tickets can be a bit cheaper since so many flights go through there. Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Dallas, and a few other cities are hubs for major airlines so those flights can sometimes be discounted. 

I travel for work a lot, and the cost of travel across the country does not differ that much unless you are within a reasonable driving distance. An airline ticket for a 1 hour flight is only marginally less than a 5 hour flight and hotels all across this country can be found in the range of $100-$130 per night. 

Often times for a destination city like Las Vegas you can get great rates and airline tickets can be a bit cheaper since so many flights go through there. Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Dallas, and a few other cities are hubs for major airlines so those flights can sometimes be discounted. 

I am also familiar with how travel works. My point wasn't really related to cost. 

If I had a vote it would be for Las Vegas or NYC, but I'm fairly certain you and I are in the minority there.  Maybe not on this forum, but among all wrestling fans almost certainly. 

How about Denver? 3 D1 schools within 2 1/2 hours in an up and coming wrestling state and with pretty good public transportation (ok, it's getting much better...). Never been to one, so I'm unsure of the venue requirements, but how about having it at the Pepsi Center?

The United Center in Chicago doesn't seem to be in the nicest neighborhood and there isn't a ton of stuff in the immediate vicinity. Can someone more familiar with that area chime in and tell me if I'm wrong?