Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

NCAA championship host city after 2018

How about Denver? 3 D1 schools within 2 1/2 hours in an up and coming wrestling state and with pretty good public transportation (ok, it's getting much better...). Never been to one, so I'm unsure of the venue requirements, but how about having it at the Pepsi Center?

yeah I'm a big fan of Denver too but apparently the Pepsi Center does not have enough floor space needed for the NCAA tournament or something. I'd like to figure out a way to make it work anyway but if other locations don't have that obstacle than they cab put together more attractive bids and the question becomes moot. 

Well maybe you are the ignorant one. In a recent national poll Detroit is considered one of the least desirable places to visit. There are a few nice places but many folks just don't want to be in Detroit. Too bad there are no D1 programs in Florida!

Not for sure what poll you are consulting, but I would venture to say it did not poll people who have actually been to Detroit. I noticed that you didn't mention the New York Times piece that listed Detroit as #9 on the places to travel to in 2017 or that they are also opening a new street car system downtown this spring. Most people's perceptions of the city are based on what they thing it will be like rather than experience.

I am also familiar with how travel works. My point wasn't really related to cost. 

If I had a vote it would be for Las Vegas or NYC, but I'm fairly certain you and I are in the minority there.  Maybe not on this forum, but among all wrestling fans almost certainly. 

OK. Not everybody travels as much as I and you'd be surprised, even in this modern era, how few people routinely travel more than 100 miles from their homes. They have no idea that traveling to DC, LA, Miami, and Chicago are all about the same cost. Since I run into this quite often I try to not assume people know this.

Now once you cross the US border things get very unpredictable. For example when I travel to Hiroshima all flights have two stops and travel through Canada then Seoul but if I head to Tokyo they are all a single stop through San Francisco.  

Edited by Zebra

Not for sure what poll you are consulting, but I would venture to say it did not poll people who have actually been to Detroit. I noticed that you didn't mention the New York Times piece that listed Detroit as #9 on the places to travel to in 2017 or that they are also opening a new street car system downtown this spring. Most people's perceptions of the city are based on what they thing it will be like rather than experience.

Detroit #5 in "cities with the highest murder rate for 2016"...

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/highest-murder-rate-cities-2016

Chicago would be awesome, but the traffic there is typically a nightmare. It can take an hour to go 10 miles on an average day.

I'm all for taking the DI's to areas where there is room for wrestling growth, which means pretty much anywhere in the south. Plus, the weather will be nicer that time of year anyways.

Atlanta would be great, Nashville, Dallas, etc..

What about Cincinnati? Cinci is a great city with a ton of stuff to do, especially on the river. Furthermore, you can also fly into Columbus and make the hour and 20 minute ride to Cinci.

Detroit #5 in "cities with the highest murder rate for 2016"...

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/highest-murder-rate-cities-2016

There is a big difference in Detroit and the burbs.  Unfortunately, like STL,  the major stadiums are in downtown Detroit, which is less than nice.  STL has a much better downtown for tourists.  

Ann Arbor is about 45 minutes from the Detroit Metro Airport and would be a great place to hold the NCAAs, but I am not certain on the number of hotels or the ability to handle the crowd, esp during the school year. 

Man, EVERY YEAR I have to get on a plane, leave my beautiful 70-80 degree temperatures here in Phoenix, and play weather roulette in whatever city the NCAA decides to host the NCAA Championships.  I don't go because it's convenient (it's not), I go because I truly love going to the tournament and to support wrestling. When I read "I'd go every year if it was in ________", I just shake my head in dismay.  I've been to a few where the weather has been fairly nice, but more often it's ****ty!  I understand the NCAA just doesn't choose where the tourney is held and the host city needs to apply so it may never happen unless ASU decides to go after it. When I see comments on this board state that places such as Detroit, New York City, and Albany! "were great" tells me that these "fans" probably don't consistently go to the NCAA's when they can't commute to them and/or they are delusional.  

There is a big difference in Detroit and the burbs.  Unfortunately, like STL,  the major stadiums are in downtown Detroit, which is less than nice.  STL has a much better downtown for tourists.  

Ann Arbor is about 45 minutes from the Detroit Metro Airport and would be a great place to hold the NCAAs, but I am not certain on the number of hotels or the ability to handle the crowd, esp during the school year. 

As much as I would love for that to happen, Ann Arbor simply isn't equipped for that kind of a tournament right now.  

The largest indoor arena is Crisler, which is way too small (the floor will only hold four full mats), and it's too far away from the downtown and the hotels to make for convenient back-and-forth between sessions the way things happen at Div. I Nationals.  

The Breslin Center up at Michigan State would be a better arena for nationals.

Man, EVERY YEAR I have to get on a plane, leave my beautiful 70-80 degree temperatures here in Phoenix, and play weather roulette in whatever city the NCAA decides to host the NCAA Championships. I don't go because it's convenient (it's not), I go because I truly love going to the tournament and to support wrestling. When I read "I'd go every year if it was in ________", I just shake my head in dismay. I've been to a few where the weather has been fairly nice, but more often it's ****ty! I understand the NCAA just doesn't choose where the tourney is held and the host city needs to apply so it may never happen unless ASU decides to go after it. When I see comments on this board state that places such as Detroit, New York City, and Albany! "were great" tells me that these "fans" probably don't consistently go to the NCAA's when they can't commute to them and/or they are delusional.

It's almost as if the weather is not the only consideration for most people.

Chicago is within a 16 hour drive of every d1 school except the Pac12 and UVU.. Smilarly, O'Hare or Midway is  a direct from all major airports and most secondary airports save the west coast. It has a good local train system. But Allstate Arena is a little small (like Des Moines?) . Someone said the United Center is not in a great local (maybe not a big deal)

However, if we ever return to a real dual meet national tourney, with teams determined during the season, a week to a month before the event, Chicago is the perfect place, and Allstate Arena a good site.

With regard to Chicago, there are no hotels near the United Center, so everyone would have to taxi or take the train from downtown - not ideal. I believe that would be the case for Allstate Arena as well.

I don't know what the selection criteria are, but if walkability to nearby hotels is an important factor, than that would eliminate Chicago. 

It's almost as if the weather is not the only consideration for most people.

It's almost like you didn't read the whole post.  What it's about is consideration for wrestling fans out west who don't really have a choice and always have to book flights, rooms, and maybe rental cars because driving across the country just isn't a practical or logical choice.  We consistently have to pay more to attend the same event, because for over 36 years driving to the location isn't a sensible option on what should just be a long weekend event.  I've always supported that the tournament rotate on a four year cycle from the West, Midwest, Mid-East, and Atlantic Coast to enable people from all over the country an easier opportunity to attend, not just those east of the Missouri River.  When people just throw out cities as a "great" location,  although history has shown it differently (and not just the weather), just due to geographic convenience for them, it's selfish and delusional.  

Would I love having the NCAA's in Phoenix... absolutely!!  Why not, major airport, D1 wrestling program, thousands of hotel rooms, hundreds of bars and restaurants, and many other factors is why Phoenix hosts other NCAA championships, not to forget Superbowls, All-Star Games, NASCAR, The Phoenix Open among a few.  Things to do before, between and after sessions like golf, spring training,lounge by the pool, hike, nightlife, etc., besides just having to just normally mill around the ever repetitious NCAA experience in between sessions.  Did I mention the weather is nice here to?

Chicago is within a 16 hour drive of every d1 school except the Pac12 and UVU.. Smilarly, O'Hare or Midway is  a direct from all major airports and most secondary airports save the west coast. It has a good local train system. But Allstate Arena is a little small (like Des Moines?) . Someone said the United Center is not in a great local (maybe not a big deal)

However, if we ever return to a real dual meet national tourney, with teams determined during the season, a week to a month before the event, Chicago is the perfect place, and Allstate Arena a good site.

Chicago like Cleveland is a lousy place to be in March.

Going back to what I posted previously, if it can work for hockey and basketball, why can't it work for wrestling? http://www.choosechicago.com/2017frozenfour/ It will be interesting to hear the results of what people thought about Frozen Four being in Chicago this year.

For selfish reasons, this works great for me and I wouldn't need to drive. United Center isn't in hip, white Wrigleyville, but West Town is NOT the 'hood like Austin, Garfield Park or Lawndale. 

Edited by Tofurky