Sign in to follow this  
reco87

Dark horse NCAA champ

Can you define "darkhorse"?  Not #1 ranked, not in the top 10, unranked???

I would say it would depend on the weight, some I'd say outside top 5 some top 3 as there are some weights that are pretty much a lock. 

Here is my list of people not ranked #1 by Intermat that could stand on top.

125 Lizak at #7. Would have gone with Suriano at 125 but extent of injury still unknown.

133 Seth Gross #2

141 Anthony Ashnault #5

149 Lavion Mayes #3

157 Nobody is going to upend #1 Jason Nolf barring injury

165 Vincenzo Joseph #4

174 Mark Hall #5

184 Its #1 Gabe Dean or #2 Bo Nickal No Dark Horses here. Everyone else will be happy to go 7 minutes with either of these two.

197 Kollin Moore #3

285 See 157 except that even an injured #1 Kyle Snyder still wins this weight

These dark horses are jokes. Since when is a 2nd ranked guy a dark horse?? Jimmy G is a real dark horse.

125: Piccinini, Terao

133: Parker (Lehigh)

141: Gulibon

149: Lugo (he is a borderline dark horse)

157: Palacio (not ranked, so I'm cheating). If Palacio doesn't count, I'm ready to call Jojo Smith a dark horse st this point after his relatively disappointing year

165: Valencia. I still think he can beat anyone if he's hot and not sucked out. He's going to be a massive spoiler for someone in the quarters or semis.

174: Preisch (Lehigh), Meyer

184: I can't call Martin a dark horse in good conscience, so Dechow

197: McCutcheon

HWT: Kasper. Perhaps the only weight where a guy in the top 5 is a legit dark horse.

Who is your dark horse NCAA champ/champs, I'm going with Micic 133.

133 is probably the weight to speculate.  For fun...

125: Gilman the favorite, but...really can't see any wrestler beating him unless a healthy Suriano who learned from the first match.  Don't think Suriano will be healthy or having the needed practice time.  If I had to pick a person to upset Gilman at this point, I guess Lizak for obvious reasons.  This said, very doubtful.  On second thought, I will go with Dance.

133:  Tomasello the favorite.  Most likely to be a dark house--go with Gross.  I think Clark is too injured, otherwise he would be a co-favorite with Nate.

141: Heil...I guess I will go with Ashnault

149: Retherford--go with Collica

157: Nolf--will go with Palacio since Kemmerer isn't beating Nolf.  Guess a funky dude in Palacio would have the best chance.

165: Martinez--Massa...although Joseph may be able to pull off the big move

174: Valencia--Hall, since when he is at his best he is the best

184: Dean--don't consider Nickal a dark horse, but can't see anyone other than those two winning it

197; Cox--Ohio State kid

HVY: Cox--Medberry with the only chance

Here is my list of people not ranked #1 by Intermat that could stand on top.

125 Lizak at #7. Would have gone with Suriano at 125 but extent of injury still unknown.

133 Seth Gross #2

141 Anthony Ashnault #5

149 Lavion Mayes #3

157 Nobody is going to upend #1 Jason Nolf barring injury

165 Vincenzo Joseph #4

174 Mark Hall #5

184 Its #1 Gabe Dean or #2 Bo Nickal No Dark Horses here. Everyone else will be happy to go 7 minutes with either of these two.

197 Kollin Moore #3

285 See 157 except that even an injured #1 Kyle Snyder still wins this weight

Damn, we nearly think the same.

fwiw, wiki has this definition of darkhorse as pertaining to sports:

dark horse is a little-known person or thing that emerges to prominence, especially in a competition of some sort

Exactly! You mean guys like Massa, Gross, Ashnault, Mayes, Hall, Medberry, Joseph, etc. You know, the guys nobody ever talks about as threats.... right?

An example a dark horse who almost became a champion was Zeke Moisey. Nobody had him on the radar going in with a 27-13 record but he managed to make the finals as an unseeded wrestler taking out the 15, 2, 7, and 6 seeds before nearly pinning the 4 seed in the finals.  

Edited by Zebra

An example a dark horse who almost became a champion was Zeke Moisey. Nobody had him on the radar going in with a 27-13 record but he managed to make the finals as an unseeded wrestler taking out the 15, 2, 7, and 6 seeds before nearly pinning the 4 seed in the finals.  

great example.