Sign in to follow this  
reco87

Dark horse NCAA champ

In terms of winning it all For Big10s I'd say a darkhorse would be someone outside the top 6, or the weight class has someone that's close to a lock a darkhorse would be a wrestler outside of the top 4 seeds. If we are just talking just making the Big10 finals I'd say a darkhorse is take out outdide the top 8 seeds.

If it's NCAAs I'll move the darkhorse champ to someone outside top 8 seeds or if someone at the weight is close to a lock I'd say a darkhorse is outside the top 6 seeds. A darkhorse finalist to me would be someone outside of top 12.

Edited by MadMardigain

An example a dark horse who almost became a champion was Zeke Moisey. Nobody had him on the radar going in with a 27-13 record but he managed to make the finals as an unseeded wrestler taking out the 15, 2, 7, and 6 seeds before nearly pinning the 4 seed in the finals.

great example.

Yes! Another example that comes to mind is Ben Kjar from Utah Valley who I believe was unseeded and made the consi finals.

Picking a real "dark horse" competitor to win a title might be too tall of an order (do unseeded or very low-seeded guys win championships often?)... it might be more fun to think of dark horse guys who can come out of nowhere, disrupt his bracket and finish with a high AA. Those guys are what make the tournament special.

An example a dark horse who almost became a champion was Zeke Moisey. Nobody had him on the radar going in with a 27-13 record but he managed to make the finals as an unseeded wrestler taking out the 15, 2, 7, and 6 seeds before nearly pinning the 4 seed in the finals.  

another dark horse example:

As a freshman, a Newkirk, Oklahoma native entered the 1994 NCAA tournament with just an 8-9 season record and became an NCAA champion.

That's pretty cool, I assume he was unseeded?

I'm pretty bad at this but the closest example that comes to mind is 149 a few years ago - I think Tsirtsis and Kindig were both low seeds that made the finals. Can't remember if Kindig was seeded, actually, but it was a crazy bracket with lots of upsets.

Edited by pamela

Mark Branch as a freshman was a true darkhorse champion.  Unseeded and a losing record.  I'd also include guys like King from Edinbooro (#12 seed) or MyMar last year (#11 seed)

That's pretty cool, I assume he was unseeded?

I'm pretty bad at this but the closest example that comes to mind is 149 a few years ago - I think Tsirtsis and Kindig were both low seeds that made the finals. Can't remember if Kindig was seeded, actually, but it was a crazy bracket with lots of upsets.

5 and 11 seeds respectively. 

Massa. He has 2x wins over NCAA runner up Isaac Jordan and lost 3-1 to IMart. He's a redshirt freshman so I hold out some possibility that he is still improving. He could even lose to IMart in B1G's and then take him at NCAAs.

That was my thought/hope as well, if anyone is going to stop IMart from being a 4 timer why not a Wolverine. 

another dark horse example:

As a freshman, a Newkirk, Oklahoma native entered the 1994 NCAA tournament with just an 8-9 season record and became an NCAA champion.

94 might be the ultimate dark horse year. Branch beat another unseeded wrestler in finals, Molnar. On way to finals Molnar took out the 4, 5, and 1; Branch took out 2, 7, and 6.

There was another unseeded finalist at the weight above them (Reese Andy pinned #1 seed Les Gutches on his way to finals). All told I count 14 unseeded guys who made top 8 that year (they seeded 12 in those days)

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/pdf/brackets/NCAA%201994.pdf

I won't say dark horse but here are the lowest ranked guys that I could conceivably see winning it:

125 - Lizak

133 - Richards

141 - Guilibon

149 - Zain

157 - Nolf

165 - Valencia

174 - Hall

184 - Nickal

197 - Moore

HWT - Snyder

3 lox, several guys who are close but not ready to call them that. 

I won't say dark horse but here are the lowest ranked guys that I could conceivably see winning it:

125 - Lizak

133 - Richards

141 - Guilibon

149 - Zain

157 - Nolf

165 - Valencia

174 - Hall

184 - Nickal

197 - Moore

HWT - Snyder

3 lox, several guys who are close but not ready to call them that. 

Spoken like a true PSU fan.

A dark horse is a little-known person or thing that emerges to prominence, especially in a competition of some sort,[1] or a contestant that seems unlikely to succeed.[2]

By the second definition couldn't Medberry be a dark horse?

I like the Guilbon pick when he's on he can go with and beat anyone. I'd also like to say Massa at 165 but I don't really consider him as a dark horse.

I don't understand this. He hasn't beaten a single top 8 guy this season. Yes he has looked improved, but so you really think he can beat Ashnault? Kolodzik? Jack? Etc.

At best he sneaks into the 7th/8th place at NCAAs, although I don't think he AAs.

Oklahoma junior Cody Brewer (22-1) put his No. 13 seed to bed with a finals victory against Iowa’s Corey Clark. Brewer had three major decisions, a pin and the decision against Clark for the week.

Spoken like a true PSU fan.

How so? Zain has had exactly 2 close matches this season and has destroyed everyone else. 2 close matches against 2 guys who have previously wrestled him close. 

No one is beating Nolf. 

Hall can win even if I don't think he will. 

184 is a 2 horse race and everyone seems to agree.

That leaves Jimmy who's wrestling extremely well right now and if he puts it all together, can very well make some things happen. 

I'm on record saying Penn State will have 2 champs. I think Jimmy AAs in the 6-8 range,, Bo takes 2nd, Hall top 3, Nevills 4-6, and Cutch a R12 guy with a shot at AA. Suriano is just a wild card depending on his health. Worst case, if healthy, he's 3rd. 

I don't understand this. He hasn't beaten a single top 8 guy this season. Yes he has looked improved, but so you really think he can beat Ashnault? Kolodzik? Jack? Etc.

At best he sneaks into the 7th/8th place at NCAAs, although I don't think he AAs.

This is why he's a dark horse.

What I'd like to know is this... How does NaTo do vs. Logie-Bear in live go's? If its even remotely close, 133 is NaTo's to lose, and no one else really will stand a chance.

I can't imagine it's remotely close. Not only is Stieber that much better and bigger, he has the big brother thing going. TF in freestyle and MD+ in folk.

This is why he's a dark horse.

I hear you, but to me a dark horse can win with some kind of justification. 

Gullibon has a good of a chance at winning as Mcystal or Pletcher. I can't see any kind of justification for that pick. 

A guy like Lugo winning, while farfetched, is a dark horse. He had an amazing performance recently against Sorensen. 

He definitely earned that preseason #1 ranking after a 6th place B1G finish and 5th place NCAA finish at 133. Definitely was a solid ranking /s 

The weight was gutted. No one else was there. Steiber graduated. Port graduated. The guy Steiber beat in the finals (name escapes me) graduated. Retherford was on a redshirt. The guy Port beat for 3rd graduated. He was the highest placing returning wrestler.