Sign in to follow this  
newyorkwrestler

New York City RTC with Cross and Kalika

Haven't heard much from Cross as of late. But is wrestling really that big in NYC? Columbia is the only wrestling D1 school in the city and they haven't been good in forever.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

The beat the streets program has done a great job growing wrestling in NYC. Tanelli will be a good head coach for them and this move definitely boosts them in regards to trying to get studs with work and Olympic championship aspersions

Edited by NYWRESTLER94

Haven't heard much from Cross as of late. But is wrestling really that big in NYC? Columbia is the only wrestling D1 school in the city and they haven't been good in forever.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Well it's not so much about specific talent in NYC now but more the opportunity for guys from all over the country to train and live in the best city in the country with amazing coaches

Wow.  Can't believe that Valentin left CA.  His kids are all grown, Pico is headed to MMA, Helen won Olympic gold.  I wonder what Helen and Elena are going to do as far as coaching goes. 

Wrestling isn't big at all in NYC. 

Congrats to Valentin and Kendall!

Well, if you're including four different states (per Wikipedia), of which a little known state named Pennsylvania is part, you may be right. NYC itself is hardly a lukewarm-bed, let alone a hotbed.

Geographical distance alone is a poor way to determine accessibility. Getting in and out of NYC is more than a bich. A mile is not a mile is not a mile....

So, I agree with the orignal poster: huge opportunity for NYC and Columbia (and maybe Hofstra). The rest of the so-called metro area, not so much. Maybe Mike Novogratz will donate a few helicopters to ease the commute for his fellow "New York Metro Citizens", though.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Well, if you're including four different states (per Wikipedia), of which a little known state named Pennsylvania is part, you may be right.

I'm not including PA.

other metro areas have higher per capita numbers but NYC has the highest total numbers. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

I hear you, but having spent a decent chunk of my life in NYC, quite close to where the RTC is located, actually, I don't see too many regulars from the entire area you refer to at the RTC. Doesn't mean some won't check in there here and there. Anyway, it's a positive development for the sport and I'm impressed that those two were hired so far from home.

I hear you, but having spent a decent chunk of my life in NYC, quite close to where the RTC is located, actually, I don't see too many regulars from the entire area you refer to at the RTC. Doesn't mean some won't check in there here and there. Anyway, it's a positive development for the sport and I'm impressed that those two were hired so far from home.

is that how RTCs work? people from the surrounding neighborhoods stroll by and check them out? that's probably how Snyder ended up at the Ohio RTC. just took a long walk from Woodbine, MD, probably. 

is that how RTCs work? people from the surrounding neighborhoods stroll by and check them out? that's probably how Snyder ended up at the Ohio RTC. just took a long walk from Woodbine, MD, probably.

He literally moved. Woodbine, Md had nothing to do with it. NYC is not exactly Columbus OH. You can't just move there to wrestle.

Well, if you're including four different states (per Wikipedia), of which a little known state named Pennsylvania is part, you may be right. NYC itself is hardly a lukewarm-bed, let alone a hotbed.

Geographical distance alone is a poor way to determine accessibility. Getting in and out of NYC is more than a bich. A mile is not a mile is not a mile....

So, I agree with the orignal poster: huge opportunity for NYC and Columbia (and maybe Hofstra). The rest of the so-called metro area, not so much. Maybe Mike Novogratz will donate a few helicopters to ease the commute for his fellow "New York Metro Citizens", though.

it's Columbias RTC so it definitely won't help out Hofstra at all

it's Columbias RTC so it definitely won't help out Hofstra at all

Why not? It's not like they're going to ban other schools' wrestlers from practice. I'm sure any Hofstra guys who want a good workout or a place to train in the summer would be welcome. Unlike what Jaroslav insinuated earlier, some people do go to RTCs on a temporary basis to get a different feel with different partners.

Why not? It's not like they're going to ban other schools' wrestlers from practice. I'm sure any Hofstra guys who want a good workout or a place to train in the summer would be welcome. Unlike what Jaroslav insinuated earlier, some people do go to RTCs on a temporary basis to get a different feel with different partners.

I don't think the coach wants his guys practicing with other teams but that's just me