Sign in to follow this  
newyorkwrestler

New York City RTC with Cross and Kalika

yes but that was at their high school club not another schools rtc

I personally know several college and senior athletes who have trained outside their "home" RTC. FLWC/Cornell is just one example. Some kids from Harvard (direct rivalry, same conference) trained there a few summers ago--I forget their names. Some go as far as traveling to Russia (e.g. PIco, most recently), and Russia welcomes our athletes to practice with them.

Anyway, what Columbia will or will not allow is not privy to us yet, but I would be surprised if their coaches take the position that nobody outside of Columbia can practice at their RTC.

Truth be told, wrestling is not big st all in NYC. That said, given the population density of the area, it could become big. There is definitely interest, since NYC is one of the hotbeds for jiujitsu and MMA gyms in the country.

I don't see what jiu jitsu/mma gyms have anything to do with the rtc. I think the point is that NYC will be an enticing location for resident athletes. Housing will be an issue though given the small stipends. Hope they have that figured out.

I don't see what jiu jitsu/mma gyms have anything to do with the rtc. I think the point is that NYC will be an enticing location for resident athletes. Housing will be an issue though given the small stipends. Hope they have that figured out.

Just my experience that kids into grappling also have some interest in wrestling.

Agreed fully on the housing point, which is why I thought Jaroslav was being funny when he referred to the entirety of the NYC metro area (three or four states) as a regoin this little RTC will serve. Parking in NYC costs more than housing in the other RTC cities.

Guest Kingsland

The Pennsylvania RTC is a joint venture between Penn and Drexel. Similarly, the New Jersey RTC is planned to serve both Rutgers and Princeton.

I personally know several college and senior athletes who have trained outside their "home" RTC. FLWC/Cornell is just one example. Some kids from Harvard (direct rivalry, same conference) trained there a few summers ago--I forget their names. Some go as far as traveling to Russia (e.g. PIco, most recently), and Russia welcomes our athletes to practice with them.

Anyway, what Columbia will or will not allow is not privy to us yet, but I would be surprised if their coaches take the position that nobody outside of Columbia can practice at their RTC.

I think they've only been more friendly with that because Valentin has been going so many times with Pico.

finger lakes isn't an RTC it's a club which isn't limited to College and post college grads and I don't believe it's on cornells campus Edited by NYWRESTLER94

finger lakes isn't an RTC it's a club which isn't limited to College and post college grads and I don't believe it's on cornells campus

Not on CU's campus, true. But its own FB page calls itself an RTC: https://m.facebook.com/FLWC-Finger-Lakes-Wrestling-Club-RTC-322949937430/?sk=pe. Doesn't mean it is, just saying.