Sign in to follow this  
Jasonmitchell32

MFF

IMO. The Coaches know he's the 2nd best 125 pounder if healthy. so they not going to drop him to 4/5. They gonna drop him to 6/7 to keep him off Gilman until final. They not going to punish 1 seed

Really see no Difference between 6/7 or 2/3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969

IMO. The Coaches know he's the 2nd best 125 pounder if healthy. so they not going to drop him to 4/5. They gonna drop him to 6/7 to keep him off Gilman until final. They not going to punish 1 seed

Really see no Difference between 6/7 or 2/3

problem is, they don't know if he's healthy. So they have to work with the most recent accurate data they have - which is his B1G performance.

Otherwise they get Schlatter burned.

Edited by lu_alum

problem is, they don't know if he's healthy. So they have to work with the most recent accurate data they have - which is his B1G performance.

Understood no one knows. But think about it. Why would the punish the 1 seed by putting the clear 2nd best guy against him in semis. By dropping Suriano to 6/7 it gives Suriano a little more difficult path. If he's healthy he will go thru and meet Gilman in final. If not, he'll be out early and no one else gets screwed

Understood no one knows. But think about it. Why would the punish the 1 seed by putting the clear 2nd best guy against him in semis. By dropping Suriano to 6/7 it gives Suriano a little more difficult path. If he's healthy he will go thru and meet Gilman in final. If not, he'll be out early and no one else gets screwed

Suriano will not be the #2 seed with 4 losses and not placing at the conference tournament.  They also won't artificially drop him to 6 or 7 to doctor up the finals matchup.  They won't keep him away from Gilman for Gilman's sake but make the #3 guy have a bad matchup.  They will seed him where all of his wins and all of his losses and his conference placement justify.  

Serious question, have they seeded any wildcards recently?

They had no problem not seeding Kindig and making #3 Habat wrestle him right off the bat.  

Not my point and not saying a guy like NS hasn't earned an at-large. My point is if he (or anyone in the situation) keeps their seed, then what's the incentive for any of the top 3 or 4 guys to wrestle in their conference tourneys?

Do you think he is going to keep his seed?

The seeding committee is not simply wrestling coaches.  They also include administrators which do not follow the sports as closely.  They are going to see that a loss was taken on the record and it will impact seeding.

An athlete may still be seeded higher than you may think is justified, but there is no doubt that they won't be considered to be seeded as highly as they would have been without the loss on their record.

No athlete is better off taking the losses than competing, especially at weights with only a few at-large spots.

I think Suriano was the number 2 at 125 prior to the injury, but to call him a CLEAR #2 prior to his injury is a bit of a stretch. That Dance guy is pretty good too.

Gilman is a bad match-up for most, but real bad if your health is compromised and you haven't been able to train at a high level for close to a month. Suriano's seeding will be interesting to say the least.

Edited by steen-hooph

I think Suriano was the number 2 at 125 prior to the injury, but to call him a CLEAR #2 prior to his injury is a bit of a stretch. That Dance guy is pretty good too.

Gilman is a bad match-up for most, but real bad if your health is compromised and you haven't been able to train at a high level for close to a month. Suriano's seeding will be interesting to say the least.

So is Cruz, who beat Dance convincingly in the dual.

Do you think he is going to keep his seed?

No - I don't. But if he gets a 3 or 4 I'm torn, I guess. Not sure how far he should fall. I'm just a big proponent of having to run the gauntlet of the qualifier for the championships. Yes - I understand that in the NCAA it's a season long "qualification" process. It's just an interesting topic that I don't have a real position on yet because I understand most arguments for each thought process.

Which is clearly NOT the case now. Can't live in the past at this time of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do agree with that. Gimpy Suriano will be lucky to AA. That he was still limping a week after the injury is not a good sign. Two weeks is a lot of time but missing 3 entire weeks of prep and peaking time cannot be undone.