Suriano steps on mat.  Forfeits.  Ref raises his hand.  Laughable.  Realizes, raises thornton's hand.

That, my friends, is an abuse of the system.  This is a qualification tournament.  If he doesn't wrestle a lick, this is not qualifying in.  Sorry folks.  It makes a mockery. 

If he can't compete at the qualifying tournament, he shouldn't qualify.

Seems a little Harsh.  A guy wrestles the entire season, is ranked #2 then doesn't get to wrestle at NCAAs because he was injured for one day in March?

If those were the rules every team in the country would go the BoJo route and sit out their best guys in dual meets after they get ranked.

Suriano steps on mat. Forfeits. Ref raises his hand. Laughable. Realizes, raises thornton's hand.

That, my friends, is an abuse of the system. This is a qualification tournament. If he doesn't wrestle a lick, this is not qualifying in. Sorry folks. It makes a mockery.

If he can't compete at the qualifying tournament, he shouldn't qualify.

While I understand your sentiment he now has a loss to Ben Thornton on his resume which will certainly hurt his seeding. If he's good enough to have a loss to Ben Thornton had still get the 2 seed so be it.

I want to be clear. This is not a medical forfeit that doesn't count towards your seed/record. This is a loss.

And he still had to make weight.

And he didn't automatically qualify. He's going to have to earn an at large bid.

Edited by bigtenfan

buckshot --- good point ... raising bojo ..... my achilles heel.  

I don't have an answer.  But I want to make sure the conference tournaments have a ton of teeth.  They have to have meaning.  

Maybe the system is set up fine the way it is.  Just something doesn't feel right about it.

buckshot --- good point ... raising bojo ..... my achilles heel.  

I don't have an answer.  But I want to make sure the conference tournaments have a ton of teeth.  They have to have meaning.  

Maybe the system is set up fine the way it is.  Just something doesn't feel right about it.

I look at conference tournaments as a way for marginal guys to qualify for nationals.  You wouldn't say Duke shouldn't make the NCAAs if they lost their first round match in the ACCs.  Suriano wrestled brilliantly as a true freshman and deserves at least the chance to be a 4-time champ.

George Carpenter gets his butt kicked all season but fights for the team then gets dropped for Law in the postseason.  It's hard to disagree with Cael but the way Law looks against Clark they should have just let George finish out the season, he earned it.

I tend to agree.  There was little upside ..... better to acknowledge the effort Carpenter made.   But I can see going with the theory that the best option is the best option.  Even if perception was that it was only a little better.

George Carpenter gets his butt kicked all season but fights for the team then gets dropped for Law in the postseason.  It's hard to disagree with Cael but the way Law looks against Clark they should have just let George finish out the season, he earned it.

Law won the wrestle-off.  So, it's hard to not go with Law.

I look at conference tournaments as a way for marginal guys to qualify for nationals.  You wouldn't say Duke shouldn't make the NCAAs if they lost their first round match in the ACCs.  Suriano wrestled brilliantly as a true freshman and deserves at least the chance to be a 4-time champ.

Should we take that same philosophy all the way down to the state level and apply it to High School or Jr High kids? I think not. 

I've hated the whole "At large" bit system as long as I can remember and it is this type of thing which I consider an abuse of the system. In my opinion if you are unable to compete in the first round of the post season you are done for the year. I hated it when they gave an obviously seriously injured Schlatter a bid and I'll hate it here. 

Edited by Zebra

Should we take that same philosophy all the way down to the state level and apply it to High School or Jr High kids? I think not. 

I've hated the whole "At large" bit system as long as I can remember and it is this type of thing which I consider an abuse of the system. In my opinion if you are unable to compete in the first round of the post season you are done for the year. I hated it when they gave an obviously seriously injured Schlatter a bid and I'll hate it here. 

High School and Jr High are completely different.  At large bids are part of the process, if they weren't who is to say Nick wouldn't have wrestled?

High School and Jr High are completely different.  At large bids are part of the process, if they weren't who is to say Nick wouldn't have wrestled?

And it has been my contention for years they should not be a part of the process and if they are this exact situation should not be allowed. If you cannot compete you should be ineligible for an at large bid. I know a lot of people are fans of particular wrestlers or teams and it sucks for the kid, but it is not right.   

And it has been my contention for years they should not be a part of the process and if they are this exact situation should not be allowed. If you cannot compete you should be ineligible for an at large bid. I know a lot of people are fans of particular wrestlers or teams and it sucks for the kid, but it is not right.   

If the shoe were on the other foot and it was Gilman I'd definitely want him to be able to compete.  How empty would the victory be for the champ if Gilman was healthy but excluded based on a technicality. 

And my original point that your system would literally kill the idea of dual meets still stands.  It would also kill Midlands, the Southern Scuffle, and everything else that occurs before this weekend.  And when guys did wrestle they'd be overly cautious to avoid getting hurt.  

And my original point that your system would literally kill the idea of dual meets still stands.  It would also kill Midlands, the Southern Scuffle, and everything else that occurs before this weekend.  And when guys did wrestle they'd be overly cautious to avoid getting hurt.  

I don't agree with any of that, it is pure conjecture with no real evidence for support. The entire history and structure of our sport says otherwise.